Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

what in the world is THIS????

I have a 55g, will be a year at thanksgiving. I've got about a 1.5" sandbed b/c I'm growing shoal grass. I thought today I would get all the shells from the corals, snails,etc..on top of the sand. cleaning up the sand bed a little bit. When I was stirring up the sand, I saw these "tube" things. I turn the lights on at nite, so me doing this at 2pm was dark in the tank but I was using a lamp to see. I stuck my arm in and scooped on up. I put it in a cup. Was sifting around somemore, and I eventually found three more. The longest was maybe 1.5"-2" long. They're about as round as an earthworm. You can see through it's body around the head area, brownish at the tail end, no legs whatsoever, but I saw it moving so I knew they were some live creature. VERY slow too.

have some pics,,,,can someone help??!! thanks

top down shot, I know I caught a bristleworm, it's the other one
Old 09/28/2007, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Old 09/29/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

anyone!!???? I don't know what to do w/ these....
Old 09/29/2007, 08:34 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Google Peanut Worm and compare yours to what you find on the web. i think they are the same. If so dump them back in your tank

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 09/29/2007, 08:50 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Hmmm, I looked up peanut Worms. Probabaly not them lol...

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 09/30/2007, 11:18 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Those could be a type of sand sifting cucumber, but I can't tell for sure with the pictures provided. If you really want a definitive ID you can PM me and we can try to get them to an expert.

Brian
Old 09/30/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

thanks guys...I looked up sea cucumber, could be that. I put them in a plastic cup thing, they're probably dead by now. they were really nasty looking critters. there's probably more though, poor little fellows.
thanks again
Julie