Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/02/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

blue linkia

i recently bought a blue linkia and it doesnt move.its been in the same spot since yesterday morning....any info
Old 07/10/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

mine moved kinda quickly right after placing him in the tank..but for some reason ...the past two days he's been in his hiding spot...if you go to live aquaria.com it tells you that they hide when they are juvenile and move around a lot more when they are adults...i know mine is fine because i've seen it move from time to time he changes positions even though he stays in the same spot ...
Old 07/10/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

How long did you acclimate it for? Blue linkia's have horrible survival rates as they require great water quality, long acclimation and large established tanks to survive, you will be able to tell if it's dead, legs will start falling off and your cleanup crew will pick at it.
Old 07/11/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

i acclimated my star fish for over an hour...i would say about two hours...

my tank has been running for over 4 months and also i've never had a problem with my water paremeters...

everytime i test it they all come back GOOD

and my star fish still alive...he likes to stay in the one spot I call it his home but...he comes out every once in a while to say hi LOL

good luck with yours...

I've also heard that it all depends as to where you buy your live stock also...always get an idea when they received the shipment...i've heard of a saying "SOMETIMES YOU GET GOOD FISH AND SOMETIMES YOU GET BAD FISH" and thats just how it goes i guess...

so far i've had some good luck lately but with my first two tru perculas clown i didnt have such good luck...most of my fish died and right when i switched pet store ..everything started to flow smoothly ..i knew my water wasnt a problem...and i took my time to acclimate...

so look into that as well..just my 2 cents
Old 07/12/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

hate to break to you but that linkia is not going to survive in a tank that has only been running for a little more than 4 months...they require a well established tank with lots of live rock and even then most do not make it...they will starve to death and waste away wish i could tell you that they would be fine...but i made the same mistake when i was a newbie with a blue and orange linkias and they did not make it long
Old 07/12/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

everybody seems to know something that the next person doesnt know about...that's just how it goes around here...from what i've learned everyone has a different method//experience//and opinion about certain things...

I respect your concern but until i dont see it ..i wont believe it...thanks you and...also i've learned that with this hobby there is a lot of trial and error...I guess i'll experience it if it happens to me..and i'll share my story if it does happen...thanks for the kind words
Old 07/12/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

well most everyone has the same experince and opinion on linkia starfish..i know of very few ever living that long..i hope your does
Old 07/12/2007, 05:15 PM
Moved On

Brown orangish ones

Do these guys have the same survival rate as the blues?
Old 07/12/2007, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

all the linkia and formia stars have the same survival rate..wich is not good..know one really knows what they feed on
Old 07/12/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

mike alerns where are you? lol...ur the owner of this thread and i hi jacked it..lol...let us know of about your star fish
Old 07/13/2007, 04:42 AM
Moved On

Sorry didnt mean to intrude, just fell on the post and had simular question<
Old 07/13/2007, 11:04 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Hello all,

Let me start off that I'm not trying to attack anyone, simply trying to share the info I've found on this issue for the people with similar questions.

Linckia and fromia stars live for a long time in the wild (decades or possibly even 100+ years) as they are, like most echinoderms, essentially immortal in the wild until they are eaten, harvested or catch a disease.

The criteria for success for any star in captivity should be on the order of years (2+ years) and very few Linckia and fromia stars make it that long, with the vast majority perishing in the first year from poor acclimation before reaching hobbyist tanks or starvation. As mentioned above, a very large tank (150+ gallons) with a lot of live rock is the most common trait of people reporting success with these stars.

While it is true that many things in this hobby are trial and error, the trend of Linckia and fromia to survive poorly in captivity has been well established for years, possibly even decades, in the hobby and no more trial and error needs to be done on them, it just leads to more wasteful collection and death of these beautiful creatures that survive so poorly.

More information can be found here:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php
Old 07/15/2007, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

I tried a Blue Linka, and orange Fromia... They were both flushed within 2 weeks.... be careful....
Old 07/18/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

are the purple sea stars equally as likly to die?

-Douglas Adams