Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/07/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Cannon rebel XTI or Nikon

I will purchasing one of these this weekend. Can you tell me wich one would be the better camera. I will be photographing Little League games and my tank primarily.
most of the comparisons I can find say they are both very good but the options vary greatly.
Old 09/07/2007, 08:39 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I'm getting lazy in my old age. This is my standard post:

--
If you decide to go the DSLR route you need to consider more variables than you do with a point and shoot (P&S) camera.

The order of importance, in regard to picture quality, with a DSLR is:

Photographer skill, lens quality, camera body.

Every DSLR body on the market today will take excellent pictures. Your lens choices are far more important than which body you buy.

You also have to be comfortable with how the camera feels. If you're not comfortable with your camera you won't be out shooting with it. Go to a local camera store (avoid places like Ritz, Best Buy, etc.... if at all possible), play with several different camera bodies and see what feels the best in your hand. Buy the one that feels best.

/ personal rant /
If you go to a local store with subject expertise (again, not a Ritz, Best Buy, Wolf Camera, etc) and take advantage of the knowledgeable folks buy your camera there. You might pay a little bit more but they deserve to be compensated for their assistance. In the long run building a relationship with a local store can be very helpful as a good camera is a long term investment. I have no problem buying online to save money; I just don't do it if I've involved the local store in the sales process.
/ end rant /

Buying a DSLR is more than buying a camera, it's buying into a system. That being said Canon and Nikon currently have most of the market. Choosing one of those gives you more choices for expansion down the road. The new Sony looks good as well and it's compatible with Konica/Minolta lenses.

If saving money, by buying used gear, allows you to spend more money on lenses you should go that route. A good lens on a used body will take better pictures than a cheap lens on a brand new body.

Cheers

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 09/07/2007, 09:07 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

We love the beerguy standard post. Pretty much sums up the whole story.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09/07/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

O.K. Great , but that still doesn't answer the question other than to pick up the bodys and see wich one feels better.
Does one have a better service record ? Wich one has better options ?....... that may be subjective to how it is used and as I said I will be using it at games. Are the upgrade lenses the same quality ?
Mabey just your opinion of wich camera you like will help. Not trying to be a pain I just want to spend my money wisely. Thanks !
Old 09/07/2007, 10:44 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by c.rob
O.K. Great , but that still doesn't answer the question other than to pick up the bodys and see wich one feels better.

Actually yes it does.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 09/07/2007, 10:51 AM
Got Zoa Pox?

Canon XTi and Nikon what? Are you referring to the Nikon d40, d50 or d80?

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 09/07/2007, 11:03 AM
Mouth Pipetting

I say get the Canon XTi b/c thats what I have, and the more people on RC using it the better for sharing info.
Old 09/07/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

It's the D80 I was looking at. I have an package deal at a local camera store I can pick up. The camera and standard lens, bag and 2 gig card for $830. Think thats what I am going to get. He said in a perfect wotld the Canon body with the Nikkon lens would be the best deal.

BEERGUY.... How long can I fondel the camera bodys before someone thinks I am a Prev ?????

Anyway thanks guys!
Old 09/07/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Correction D40X 10.2 MP Nikkon. Anyway I am leaving to go get the XTI now. Thanks again.
Old 09/07/2007, 05:55 PM
Got Zoa Pox?

You can't go wrong between the two.

But if you end up not buying an XTi today, please consider the Canon 20D.

The 20D has more bang for the buck amongst the Canon XTi, 20D and 30D models.

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 09/07/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Now that he has the camera hes really gonna spend the money now on glass !!!!! Welcome to the world of photography.
Canon30D with grip,Canon 400D with grip.16-35MM EF 2.8 L,24-105MM EF 4 L,70-200MM EF 2.8 L IS USM,100-400MM EF 4.5-5.6 L IS USM,500MM F.4 L IS USM,18-55MM EFS3.5-5.6,75-300MM EF 4.5-5.6 IS USM,Canon 1.4 MK11 Extender,Vivitar 100MM 3.5 Macro,Canon430EX Speedlite,Promaster7500EX Speedlite
Old 09/08/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Yup, Picked the XTI up shortly after my last post. Saving for a Tele lens and a Macro lens now. Thanks again guys, gotta go shoot 3 games today!
Old 09/08/2007, 03:58 PM
Got Zoa Pox?

For tele and macro, I use and recommend the following Sigma lenses:

50-500mm APO DG HSM
50-150mm EX DG HSM
150mm DG Macro HSM
18-50mm EX DG Macro

If you turned pro, go with Canon L with IS.

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 09/08/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

I bought the Nikon D70 without trying out the Canon. I like the feel of the Canon much better after actually being able to hold it. It also has less noise at lower ISO speeds, seems to be more user friendly to the non-pro, non-camera saavy such as myself. I know the Nikon is capable of much more than I've been able to produce, very steep learning curve IMHO.

CAReefer
Old 09/10/2007, 12:14 AM
------------

Speaking of telephoto....

Anyone have the 70-300mm IS ?

I recently bought it and am more than happy. The guy at the store wanted me to buy the 70-200mm L (no IS and less range). To his disappointment I dodged his sneaky sales lines.

In this case, I'm not quite pro and realistically will not be limited by the quality of the 70-300mm. I love the longer reach, IS is great and it's built well enough for me... Though, that is one sexy L lens....
Old 09/11/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

You could have gone either way and have been happy. I also have a canon (XT though) and am more than happy. When looking for a macro lens, check out the 60mm f2.8 macro. Its a great lens and often overlooked. If you don't need the the length of the 100mm, the 60mm allows you to focus closer to the object. Congrats on the new camera.