Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Cold water stuffs

All these guys are from the San Juan Islands in Washington.

First two are of the swimming anemone Stomphia coccinea. When a certain starfish gets too close to these guys, they let go with there foot and start swimming, cool thing to watch.

Heart Crab Phyllolithodes papillosus

Mosshead warbonnet Chirolophis nugator

and finally 4 pictures of what we think is a Red octopus Octopus rubescens

Thanks for looking. Always love to hear C&C.

Aaron

...Oh, and all these shots were taken with my 350d with Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro lens.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

cool pics you got there. were those collected on a recent local dive?

lol, i noticed your "occupation" is the exact same as my own. i work at the Vancouver Aquarium. you?
Old 11/30/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinl
cool pics you got there. were those collected on a recent local dive?

lol, i noticed your "occupation" is the exact same as my own. i work at the Vancouver Aquarium. you?
These were collected on dives and a couple dredges. I currently am doing research at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. Sadly this research ends in a couple weeks and its back to seattle where I have a research tech job lined up thats not quite as good as the current. I've tried getting in with the Seattle aquarium, but they generally only hire internally. And... because I have volunteered there for at all, it'd be pretty difficult to land the job. How'd you get setup at the Vancouver aquarium? Whats your current research on?
Old 11/30/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoreliner11
These were collected on dives and a couple dredges. I currently am doing research at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. Sadly this research ends in a couple weeks and its back to seattle where I have a research tech job lined up thats not quite as good as the current. I've tried getting in with the Seattle aquarium, but they generally only hire internally. And... because I have volunteered there for at all, it'd be pretty difficult to land the job. How'd you get setup at the Vancouver aquarium? Whats your current research on?
I meant to say I haven't volunteered there at all.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

actually i got the job just by timing. Last summer i got my PADI recreational cert, then somehow my brother's girlfriend found the job posting. just so happens my boss (now at least), Jeff Marliave, was looking for an undergrad with a scuba cert with no experience that he could basically brainwash... i just fit the bill And i think it helped that the guy who PADI certified me is a good friend of Jeff's! But yeah, just like at the Seattle aquarium, they usually hire internally for those kind of jobs and look for people with some experience. i was just really really lucky.

I do fish research. In the field it's mostly conservational research dive stuff, and in the lab we've been mostly focused on fish and shrimp breeding. Let me tell ya, rockfish larvae are HARD to raise :P but hey, it's a challenge and there's nothing wrong with that. I do love my job.

That San Juan thing sounds pretty cool. What kinda research is that focused on?
Old 11/30/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Very cool. Currently I'm finishing up a short research project on urchin aggregation cues, but more focused upon the role of urchin feces as a cue. I'm working with the red urchin S. franciscanus, which by now I'm really starting to dislike . They just never seem to cooperate well for lab studies. After this I'm headed back to seattle to do some data analysis/literature research on some fisheries management schemes and what sort of ecological differences that are associated with them. I just graduated last June and I'm waiting to apply to grad school until next fall, so hopefully I'll find someone who wants to put up with me in there lab

Aaron
Old 12/01/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

These Pics Are GREAT!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.....