Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 11:05 PM
SCMAS Member

Angry Tangs dying one by one.

This all started about 5 days ago when my blonde naso tang started holding in one spot in the tank and not eating the way he usually does. I a matter of three days he was dead, with no signs of external disease. His respiratory was normal until the last few hours. Two days later the same thing happened to my Tenneti Tang of two years. All tank perameters are very normal and no real changes in the tank other than a few frags from our frag swap.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, what was your treatment. Tonight I have noticed my Yellow Tang of four years starting down the same path and I am at wits end.
Old 11/19/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

What else can you tell us about the setup? I would certainly think something has changed. What parameters have you all tested? Please list them. Also what other livestock do you have and how are they? Even check things like powerheads or heaters for stray current. I could be lots of different things. List everything you have checked and maybe we can find something you missed.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

i have similiar experience, first my yellow belly blue tang, about 6 weeks later, my blond naso, both the same sympton, one day just stopped eating, and hide in their spot, both last 3 days and die, from appearance, there's no sign of ich and color didn't fade away, but naso tang did turn darker gray.... I'm thinking internal worms, but just guessing.

before this happen, I have fed them some fw ghost shrimp (to lure new fish to start eating), but both ate lots of shrimps.

I just got another blue tang, I don't want to lose another one and treat it in QT this time.

maybe my imagination, but my family knows that naso tang recognoze me! even when it was sick, it'll swing to me like it say "hello" to me and then rest itself in it's spot, it's really heart breaking when it dies!!

I'll for sure to get another naso tang, but anyone has any idea to cause it's death? any possible disease to cause? thanks in advance.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:09 PM
Team RC Member

Without more info and your exact water levels, its very hard to figure out the problem. Please post the following:

-Current stocking list
-Exact water levels. ( all )
-The tang(s) daily diet

When was the tank set up? Have you noticed any other problems with the fish in the tank? When were they added to the system?
Old 12/10/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

150G tank, setup over 1/2 year, running this tank only LR about 2 months then fish and living things.
it's upgraded from a 60G mature tank which has been running 2 years.

Ca: 550ppm (have doubtness my Salifert kit, just purchase another brand to test tomorrow)
Ph: 7.9-8.1
Salinity: 1.025
NO3: 0
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 79 - 82

stocking list:
2 cleaner shrimps
2 banded shripms.
1 fire fish
1 lawn mower
2 mono
1 chromis (5 gone, harrased by damsel)
2 yellow wrasse
1 diamond goby
5 anthia (all gone too, harrased by damsel)
1 yellow blue damsel
1 domino, 1 lemon damsel (moved them to refugim, should never add them inside the tank)

because office is under remodeling, I can only feed tank every other days, I blend pellets with cyclop-eeze, mysis shrimp, live brine shrimp, extra nori, spinach and macro from my refugim to feed tangs... but I've tried to feed them everyday whenver it's possible for me,
tank is seperated from remodeling area, shouldn't be bothered and polluted.

it's a LPS tank, rose and some bubble anemonies, will post pics if it can help. I have one powder blue and yellow belly blue tang in Qt at this moment, waiting another 5 weeks into main tank, hope this time I won't lost my tangs.

if you need more information, I'll try my best to provide more details.

racer69, hope you don't mind to steal your thread, but since it's same problems, guess it's ok...
Old 12/10/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

anyone?
Old 12/15/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

my guessing is internal worms, if so, can anyone provide the possible cause and solution?

I've studied this forum, but there're too many overwhelming information... I may miss some discussion, some brief information or link is helpful to me.

I really don't want the same thing happens to my new tangs again...

thanks, and love my fish!!
(Also friendly reefers)
ha