Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 06/02/2003, 02:31 PM
Bogus Information Expert

You Newbie ROCKHEADS!!!!

Talk about how dense the LR IS! I show you dense!

There had to be about 20 questions this past weekend asking about LR. No wonder John and Greg need to upgrade the server every couple of weeks. Stop all the LR, DSB, alkalinity, calcium, pH crap and this site would run on an IBM PC-AT.

I mean LR is LR----Or is it?

With all the hype surrounding it I can see why anyone would get confused. We have Fuji, Tonga, Marshall, Caribbean and even one named for someone's daughter (Kaileni). Bet she was impressed. Here is a testimonial from a guy who feels he has the ultimate in LR. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ltte/index.htm

The plain fact is that it is all a matter of esthetics. All the above rocks, Lew's excepted, will do a good job of providing the needed biological filtration for your tank. The region where it is harvested mainly has to do with how the rock looks. Aquacultured rock will provide the same benefits of natural rock while preserving the reef. It also has other benefits I will bring up latter.

Besides origin we have the terms fully cured, pre-cured and uncured.

Uncured is rock which some native islander cracks off part of the reef, throws in his canoe, and takes to the "Great White Rock Hunter" in exchange for beads or other trinkets. The rock hunter, then puts it aboard the slow boat to LA (or Key West), from where it sent directly to your door; usually by air since you are now paying the shipping. The travel time of course did not do a lot for the critters on the rock and a majority croak during the trip. Your nose knows, as they say, as you open the shipping box. Wow, talk about stench!

Next we have the "pre-cured". Pre-curing depends on who you get your rock from. In most cases, when the LR reaches LA, it spends some time in a warehouse beings sprayed with saltwater. This helps remove the shipping decay that occurs to that point and also tends to allow unwanted critters, like Mantis shrimp, to climb out and be removed. After a variable amount of time, usually a week, it is then shipped to you.

The fully cured, after reaching the U.S., is placed in seawater filled curing vat. It is usually moved through a series of vats as it ages with each one having less dieoff occurring in it than the one before. This process will normally take about a month or more. Unfortunately, not all suppliers take this route and shortcuts are made. The net result is partially cured rock arriving at your door. If the rock really stinks after the box is opened, and remains that way for a while, your rock was only partially cured.

Aquacultured rock should be fully cured. It doesn't make the long trip from some primitive island to the mainland. If you have it shipped overnight air, or maybe second day, there should be minimal die-off. Given a few days in your tank is should be completely cured with only a small cycle occurring. This is also true of fully cured natural rock that has had proper treatment.

The pre-cured and uncured rock are going to need some cycle time. If you have nothing in your tank you can cure it there. If not, set up a curing tank which can be a trash can what-have-you. You'll want a heater and some power heads to provide circulation. Running a skimmer and carbon also hasten the process. I like to provide some light during curing. If you are doing it outside your tank, a shop light florescent fixture with some of the "Optilume Daylight" bulbs should do. I also do 20% daily water change for the first week then cut back to 10% every couple of days for the remaining cure period. When ammonia and nitrite levels are close to zero and nitrate levels are falling the cure period is done. This should be about a month for uncured, two to three weeks for pre-cured and maybe a week or less for fully cured. The time will vary depending on the quality of the rock and your curing method.

Computer Geek Fizz asked this weekend--
Quote:
Should I wait until I can afford all the rock at once? Or should I buy in pieces?
Referring to whether he should put all the rock in at once of let one batch cycle before adding the next.

Really, it doesn't matter. The big drawback of the incremental technique is that you have a cycle after each addition. It maybe is slightly less each time but the overall effect is to drag the cycle time out.

Usability engineer (I suspect that is a term used by a computer geek that doesn't want the world to know it) bsatanek had the same question as Fizz but also asked,
Quote:
Other controversial issues would be when best to do water changes during this process? Some say not all all, some say parial to full at end? And whether to run a skimmer full-time during the cycle?
As I stated before, "When you have uncured rock run everything you got!" There is plenty of protein and bacteria around for all. Water changes will speed the curing process by removing organics from the system and lightening the overall load on the bio-system. On fully cured and aquaclultured rock you may what to hold off a week or so before doing water changes. I'd still run a skimmer as there is bound to be a little die-off during shipping.

Finally, software geek starting_dude asked,
Quote:
  • If I get live Rock do I need to upgrade my lighting?
  • How do I select live rock? I read a porous one is good. Is there any other way to find a good one from a bad one?
To the first question-Coralline algae is a low light algae and really does not require intense lighting. It does seem to benefit from the use of 03 actinic or other blue lighting.

To the second question-Use RC to find good suppliers. They are out there. Although it may break you wallet you can get fully cured LR from a good LFS. That way you know what you are getting. If you get rock from a LFS ask them to check ammonia and nitrate levels on the rock tank water. That way you'll know it isn't still in cycle.

Light weight, porous LR is probably better for nitrate removal than a dense LR but if you have a DSB then it really would be a question of personal preference.

Well if this discourse Rocked anyones boat--don't expect an apology from me NEWBIES!!!

Tom
Old 06/02/2003, 02:37 PM
NCPARS Founding Member

I'm confused...should I be offended?

Thanks WaterKeeper.

--Fizz
Old 06/02/2003, 02:45 PM
Done....Stopped...Reefin'

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents; it was loaned to you by your children. - Ancient Indian Proverb

Last edited by drscheck; 06/02/2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06/02/2003, 02:48 PM
Tiny Miracles.

And hes a Team RC member? Can we get a Re-Count? Did Florida screw up the ballots AGAIN on him?
Old 06/02/2003, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

No kidding.
Old 06/02/2003, 02:54 PM
RC Mod

Guys,

Tom's posts are all in fun. They are meant to entertain while educating. In case you missed them, check out his previous threads using his Drill Sergeant style of writing.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=189681

Griss

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD
Old 06/02/2003, 02:55 PM
Me in Iraq

Take it with a grain of salt. Pun intended.

I like it, WaterKeeper. Keep it coming!

To the people who complain, I guess that's why drill sergeants in basic training can't yell at recruits anymore...lol!
Old 06/02/2003, 03:00 PM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quite frankly, if we took away all the "LR, DSB, alkalinity, calcium, pH crap" right now it'd be a forum about "Finding Nemo"

--Fizz
Old 06/02/2003, 03:12 PM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
Love the articles keep them coming.
Old 06/02/2003, 03:18 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I think I have run into the IT department backlash.

Tom
Old 06/02/2003, 03:30 PM
Toadstool pimp

So how about I get really dense LR and then drill holes in it???
Would this work good?????
Old 06/02/2003, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Hey I'm a newb. How rude, but very, very informative. In fact, I book marked it. lol
Old 06/02/2003, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Rockhead coming at ya. Learning bit by bit. I even know enough now to laugh at reefer jokes, dude. Thanks for the info!
Old 06/02/2003, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Everyone says to read a book to learn this stuff, I've learned more here in one week than reading an entire book! This passes the time better at work too...
Old 06/02/2003, 09:42 PM
Hoyt Shooter

What's live rock?
Old 06/02/2003, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I think I accidently dropped my 20 year old "Pet Rock" in my Tank. I had that baby since I was a kid......Paid $3.95 for it at K-Mart 25 years ago but it came in it's own box. (can't find the box either.)
2 perc clwns
1 Lwnmowr Blennie
1 Yellow Tang
1 Em. Crab
2 Blood Shrimp
4 Turbos
Check my gallery for recent pics
Old 06/03/2003, 12:00 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Was it an aragonite rock or just plain sandstone or feldspar?

Tom
Old 06/03/2003, 12:17 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
Everyone says to read a book to learn this stuff, I've learned more here in one week than reading an entire book! This passes the time better at work too...
In most circles I am considered the Reader's Disgust, condensed version.

But I sure got some newbies riled at me TODAY!

My thanks to Fizz, bsatanek and starting_dude for letting me poke a little fun at their posts. Actually most of the stuff I write is based on questions recently asked a lot in this forum. The sarcastic touch is just to keep the interest flowing. Newbies and old timers all have vital input. All posts are welcome at RC so keep em coming!

Heck, I'll even answer posts from Usability Engineers

Tom
Old 12/11/2004, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

well said thnks for all reading material
Old 12/11/2004, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Coming from a former organometallic chemist - now IT guy, I can say that this article is great, humorous, and I can't wait to see more!

Bob
Old 12/11/2004, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freakyreef
So how about I get really dense LR and then drill holes in it???
Would this work good?????
He probably has his DIY rock in mind when asking this question...bump

After 1400 RC posts I felt guilty for not having a premium membership
Old 12/12/2004, 07:11 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Yet another past post comes back to haunt me. Nice to see some of you use the button to find info. It sure helps keep me from repeating myself.

Manmade LR is usually some mix of plain old Portland cement and some crushed coral. There are various formulas out there but most use about 2 parts cement to 2 or 3 parts crushed coral. A mold is made with crushed coral and aragonite and the shape of the piece is scooped out of this sand/coral mix. After a few days the mix cures and the rock is removed. It is then soaked in FW for 4 or 5 weeks to leach out any contaminants. Before soaking you can drill holes or whatever to produce caves and the like.

You find several formulas for making your own on RC. Do remember you will need some real LR to seed the homemade and it will take 4-6 months before it really starts to look like genuine LR.

Tom
Old 12/29/2005, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

why do we need light to cure LR? i leave mine in the trashcan with lid on and only air it in the day
Old 12/30/2005, 07:00 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by NewMariner
And hes a Team RC member? Can we get a Re-Count
Hey he's staff, don't blame him on Team RC
[oh wait, at the time, he may have been Team RC]

But of course, I don't think either are democratically elected. As far as I understand, Griss' chimp makes all the decisions.

Last edited by MiddletonMark; 12/30/2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12/30/2005, 07:06 AM
Send money....

I love it when these old WK threads float up to the surface after being under for so long. They're all packed with bristleworms and other assorted creatures/things...

Considering the topic, would that mean that this thread is now thoroughly "cooked"?