Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 11:13 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

More pictures please.
Old 10/26/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

intresting, i do not see any streams at all? are they all hide in the rocks?

Nick
Old 10/26/2005, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
i know he has 2 sequence pumps that return water from the different sumps in the fish room. but most of the circulation is with tunze streams. i think there is 6 or 8 tunze streams and the 2 sequence pumps are huge ones. not sure on total flow in the tank though.
LOL, I find that kinda funny if he only has 6 to 8 Tunzes in his 1700... I have 6 Tunzes going into my 600gal (4 6100s and 2 6200s)...

Very nice pics... I would LOVE to speak to him in person... I also love how he covered the PVC...

NOTE: I would guess he used this stuff to cover the PVC...

Shawn
Old 10/26/2005, 11:54 AM
Get Your War On!!

So where's the Star of the Tank in those pics? Or did I miss him

Cheers,

grimmjohn

Oh Lord...I'm not ready for this sort of thing.
Old 10/26/2005, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nbd13
Very nice,

one question for any 3 of you to answer,

what does he have in terms of flow? he must have alot of it. is it closed loops? or tunzes? or something else?

also any pics of his sumps?

thanks

Nick
Hi Nick,
He has 2 Sequence 5800's for returns. Each one pushes water through 2 1" sea swirls for a total of 4 sea swirls. The SS's are located across the front of the tank. 1 in each front corner and the other 2 are in the middle with 1-2 feet of space between them. In the tank he is only using 4 Streams. 2 6100's and 2 6200's. I must say I was quite suprised that he is not using 4x that much flow. I did look throughout the tank and there was enough flow getting to all areas. The polyps on every coral would move but not violently by any means. The strams are not hidden at all. There are 2 on the far left and 2 on the far right. You can see them in the pictures. When he said he was using streams I asked him if he had them in stream rocks or something because I didn't see them. But they were out in the open the whole time. With a tank like this you are too focused on everything else to notice a couple streams on each side of the tank.
Old 10/26/2005, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
he has NO CL's. only the return pumps (Travis might remember what they are...i was taking pics and not listening ) and the rest is done by Tunzes i believe

Travis will help out more where i since i was taking pics and not listening

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket..... Did you read my post ( last page I think ) about hosting the videos..??? It got barried pretty quick with all the responses......

Bob
Old 10/26/2005, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
LOL, I find that kinda funny if he only has 6 to 8 Tunzes in his 1700... I have 6 Tunzes going into my 600gal (4 6100s and 2 6200s)...
I agree Shawn. I was suprised myself, not to mention he only has 4 streams, not 6-8. Heck, I have 2 Sequence 5800's, 1 Iwaki 100, and 1 Stream 6200 in my 280.
Old 10/26/2005, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

The owner really loved the Diamond Lumenarc reflectors. He started the tank out with 11 metal halides. After switching to the Lumenarcs he was able to drop that down to 6. He said they were the best investment so far on the tank.

Another thing I thought was pretty cool about this system is that he is running it without a chiller. He has set it up to be very energy efficient. When we were there, his tank room was 81 degrees and his tank was 81.9. He does have 2 chillers for emergency, or to implement in the future if needed. He said he is waiting unitl next summer to see if he is going to need to run the chillers on the system.

Yet another interesting thing about this system was that with the flip of a switch, the air from the tank room could be ducted to the rest of the house in the cool months. With the flip of another switch, it could be ducted outside during the warmer months. He also has a few windows in the tank room that he can open and put fans in for more air circulation.
Old 10/26/2005, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Wow.... Just read the whole thread. I am amazed that he is maintaining, no make that growing out, this system with 6 halides and 4 streams (granted there were a lot of tubes up in that light box too)... Still it seems remarkably efficient.

I wonder how he is handling detrious in the main tank. It seems like he has a thick sand bed and like that back area under the rock would be hard to get cruft washed out of. I was also surprized that he has a tank this big with acrylic. I have found my tank which is 32" deep is very hard to keep clean and very hard to keep from scratching with the mag float (from getting too close to the sand). Has he figured out some good way to clean the sand line, or to remove scratches from the inside of an acrylic tank...
Old 10/26/2005, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

His sandbed is no thicker than 1" in any given spot. It is fine sand. I wondered about detritus myself, especially behind the rocks and asked him about it. He said he has been thinking about it himself. For the most part, the activity of the fish and ray keep the detritus stirred up, which feeds the corals and is removed by the filtration. But it is something he is thinking about. So not sure if he will change anything in the future.

Not sure what he does about cleaning the tank but it certainly was spotless when we were there. FWIW, my Tunze magnet (largest size) keeps my tank (1.25" acrylic) free of algae, including coralline. It is strong enough to remove coralline when it is still small. So as long as I clean the front pane at least weekly it stays clean. Unfortunately, when I swap out the inside pad, it takes a couple months before it is "rough" enough to remove coralline again.
Old 10/26/2005, 08:25 PM
Moved On

Awesome, awesome, awesome tank! Just absolutely breath-taking!

My only problem is that every pic I've seen, I keep thinking...."Damn...just think of the predators I could have in there, instead of my 300gal and 200gal.!!!"
Old 10/26/2005, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I would love to see a stocking list of just all the kinds of fish he has in there. I think I saw a copper banded butterfly in one of the pics. I'd love to know what else is in there (or at least, what he put in there. How would he be able to tell if something died?)

How long has this tank been running?
Old 10/26/2005, 10:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

this is JUST from memory

HUGE black tang
yellow tang
male and female leopard wrasse
some other wrasse
baby bangaii
one or two yellow belly hippos
blue spot sting ray
orange spot rabbit fish

Travis and spazz can you chime in and add to the list.

there aren't that many fish in there IMO

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/26/2005, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Gem Tang, thats a big one

purple tang

chevron tang
Old 10/27/2005, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

I uploaded the pics from my camera to my computer. Obviously they are not professional quality, but they are better than I thought they would turn out. So I have decided to go ahead and share a few. I am still working on the videos. I did find someone who will host them for me.

Old 10/27/2005, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Hard to tell if you are looking at someone's tank or at the ocean in this one...

The black tang may look small in this pic but trust me, it isn't. Compare it to the size of the rabbitfish in the reflection.

Old 10/27/2005, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Here you can see the 2 calcium reactors in the back right and the skimmer in the foreground. The skimmer is 12" diameter and around 45" tall, IIRC. It is run by 4 needlewheel pumps. I didn't ask what the pumps were but I am guessing Sedra 9000's.

Sorry this shot is a little blurry but this is one of my favorite corals in his tank. It is an Atlantis Aquarium efflo. It started as a 1/2" frag 2 years ago and has turned into this.
Old 10/27/2005, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

Here is a close up of one of the pvc structures that he made. If you did not know it was there you would never see it. You can also see the leg to another structure in the back left.

I wish I was a fish in this tank just so I could swim through this valley.
Old 10/27/2005, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

God, that rock structure is better than sex.
Old 10/27/2005, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

WOW what more can you say!
Old 10/27/2005, 01:57 AM
Moved On

1. Who is it? Whoever it is...he has done a very fine job and obviously knows his products and a thing or two about reef design. Not just some rich guy who plopped down some coin for someone else to throw together. The design is very smart, and prolly uses less electricity & time to maintain than we think due to its smart use of lumenarcs, streams, PVC supports, sump room, etc.

2. For detrious, I would highly suggest investing in some sand sifter gobies. A half dozen of the diamond sand-sifters, or better yet, the yellow-headed sand sifters (they school and clean sand in packs if you have the space and numbers) would keep his sand perfectly clean and require very little effort...which on a tank this size is key.
Old 10/27/2005, 02:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert T. Kornfeld
2. For detrious, I would highly suggest investing in some sand sifter gobies. A half dozen of the diamond sand-sifters, or better yet, the yellow-headed sand sifters (they school and clean sand in packs if you have the space and numbers) would keep his sand perfectly clean and require very little effort...which on a tank this size is key.
I'm assuming you meant detritus?
Sand sifters might be a risky and short term solution with a ray in the same tank.
Old 10/27/2005, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

wow
Old 10/27/2005, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

It would be a vacation everyday
Old 10/27/2005, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

Amazing. I don't think a large private aquarium with massive funding could do better.

Gives me some great ideas too. I'd love that PVC rack idea, and I'd really like to know more about how it was done. I'd like to incorporate something like that (on a MUCH smaller scale) into my new 75.

BTW: Am I the only one that thinks that guy looks a lot like Anthony Calfo? I know it's not, but they look a lot alike.