Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I have a question and I thought I'd ask the resident lighting expert for your expertise.

I currently have a 48" Nova Extreme T5 w/ (4) 54watt 10k HO bulbs and (4) 460 nm HO Actinic bulbs over a basic sized 75 gallon tank. Is this sufficient for all coral or is there a specific type I should stay away from?

This fixture uses Slimpaq bulbs which I assume is a negative because they seem to be a smaller diameter than regular T5 bulbs. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim,

One more question:

I have 7 bulbs to play with:

UVL Super Actinic
GE 3000K
ATI Aquablue
UVL AquaSun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Again, One Switch controls 2, 5 for dawn/dusk, the other 1, 3, 4, 6 (Just got my ATI Powermodule 6x54, my tank is 75g 48Lx18Wx20H)

What 6 bulbs I should pick and what is the best order for sps dominated tank?

Thanks!

Chii
Old 08/15/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Badgerman, I have a similar fixture with similar reflectors and asked a similar question a while back. The general consensus was it wouldn't be as good as a high end reflector but it would work fine. The only reason I went with that fixture over a nice one was I got that one for 100 bucks bulbs included.

I have 4 x 54 over a 75 and the SPS I placed (top 1/3) in the tank have grown pretty quick in my opinion (this is my first attempt at SPS so have nothing to compare it to).

The downside to that reflector is that salt spray seems to eventually stain it a bit. I have had no luck cleaning the stain off but I haven't tried very hard (only tried water). Perhaps a metal polish would do the trick, not sure.
Old 08/15/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Well, I have a couple of questions, but before I get started let me say a couple of things... The T5 lighting unit that I ended up buying is not looked @ as being anything good, so I know this up front... I purchased, based on the room I have in an existing canopy, and also based on the amount of money that I could spend on fixture and bulbs (total)... So, please, go easy on me

I purchased an 8 x 54 watt T5 retrofit from Catalina Aquarium... The ballasts are workhorse, and the bulbs are Ushio... I have yet to put the unit on my tank, because I want to check a few things out first.

#1... If I have a PC fixture currently, 4 x 65 watt, and want to put up my new T5 unit, then what would be the best way to acclimate the tank to the new conditions?

#2... When I do replace my bulbs, what would be the best configuration for this unit? I do not have a whole lot of knowledge currently about brands and names (ie... aquablue plus, etc)

Thanks in advance
You can spend your time alone redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can't forgive yourself. OOHHH! It makes much more sense to live in the present tense!
Old 08/15/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Thank you barjam for your reply. I will try the metal polish tip if there is any corrosion.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:33 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
Hey guys, I'm building a canopy for my 180 (standard 72 x 24 x 24) that I plan to incorporate the 8 x 54w T5s I've got. I've got a mix of Blueplus, 6500K and Actinic + bulbs.

How high off the surface should I put these? Right now I'm only keeping softies and a couple LPS, but I plan to add a couple SPS and a clam at some point.
I'd keep them about 4" above the water
Old 08/15/2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgerman
Hey Grim,

I was looking at a T5 fixture called 'New wave', and am interested. It's designed for hydroponic systems, but I was wondering if it could be used on an aquarium. The ballast is an un-identified solid state and the reflectors are individual to each bulb but not porabolic. Would you suggest retrofitting tek or slr reflectors on this fixture?

Great thread
They aren't in the same class as the TEK. Cheapo reflectors and a single switch controls the whole fixture.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danlu_gt
Anyone tried the new T4 HO bulbs? 48" T5 HO is 85watts instead of 54watts. How many of these bulb can a Workhorse 7 drive?
They are just 54 watt lamps that are specifically designed to withstand being overdriven with an Ice Cap ballast. The WH& will drive 4 of them.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mcasteel
I have a question and I thought I'd ask the resident lighting expert for your expertise.

I currently have a 48" Nova Extreme T5 w/ (4) 54watt 10k HO bulbs and (4) 460 nm HO Actinic bulbs over a basic sized 75 gallon tank. Is this sufficient for all coral or is there a specific type I should stay away from?

This fixture uses Slimpaq bulbs which I assume is a negative because they seem to be a smaller diameter than regular T5 bulbs. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Slimpaq is just a brand name. The fixtures biggest drawback is the lack of parabolic reflectors, not the lamps. I'd give it about 6 months and replace the lamps with the good brands if you wnt to keep "anything". Even with the current lamps you should be OK as long as you keep the highest lighting critters up on the rocks a bit.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiiBear
Hi Grim,

One more question:

I have 7 bulbs to play with:

UVL Super Actinic
GE 3000K
ATI Aquablue
UVL AquaSun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Again, One Switch controls 2, 5 for dawn/dusk, the other 1, 3, 4, 6 (Just got my ATI Powermodule 6x54, my tank is 75g 48Lx18Wx20H)

What 6 bulbs I should pick and what is the best order for sps dominated tank?

Thanks!

Chii
Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
GE 3000K
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Old 08/15/2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lukinrats
Well, I have a couple of questions, but before I get started let me say a couple of things... The T5 lighting unit that I ended up buying is not looked @ as being anything good, so I know this up front... I purchased, based on the room I have in an existing canopy, and also based on the amount of money that I could spend on fixture and bulbs (total)... So, please, go easy on me

I purchased an 8 x 54 watt T5 retrofit from Catalina Aquarium... The ballasts are workhorse, and the bulbs are Ushio... I have yet to put the unit on my tank, because I want to check a few things out first.

#1... If I have a PC fixture currently, 4 x 65 watt, and want to put up my new T5 unit, then what would be the best way to acclimate the tank to the new conditions?

#2... When I do replace my bulbs, what would be the best configuration for this unit? I do not have a whole lot of knowledge currently about brands and names (ie... aquablue plus, etc)

Thanks in advance
Start off running half the lamps and work up from there. I wouldn't go over a year on the lamps.
Old 08/15/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Start off running half the lamps and work up from there. I wouldn't go over a year on the lamps.
Thanks... I do not plan to go that long... I plan to buy a couple of lamps every pay check... I just need to know what I am going to buy... Can you help?
You can spend your time alone redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can't forgive yourself. OOHHH! It makes much more sense to live in the present tense!
Old 08/15/2007, 07:09 PM

For 8 I would work toward something like this

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun or GE 3000K
Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
Old 08/15/2007, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Ok... On the Aquasun or GE 3000k... Is that the Aquasun 10,000k that I see on ReefGeek... If so, why why would I want to put a 10000k or a 3000k... Is this supposed to be up to me, because I really do not know what the reason would be to choose one or the other

Also, I see 2 different super actinics on RG... One is made by UVL, and the other is by Sfigioli or something like that... Which one?

On the Aquablue, do I want the Geismann or the Ati?

I hate to be this way, but I see the same name on more than one bulb/ different manufacturer... It would probably be best if you just copy that list you made, and add in the brand that you mean

Thanks,

Last edited by lukinrats; 08/15/2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08/15/2007, 10:43 PM

The Aquasun has a slight amount of red in the output, the 3000K has more. I personally prefer the colors I get with the 3000K. It brings out more pink and purple colors.

Go with the UVL Super Actinic, less money and if there is a difference in the color I couldn't see it.
Old 08/16/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Grim,..for my 110 6 foot tank i was thinking of a 48inch Tek with these 8 bulbs :

Ati Blue PLus
Sfiligoi Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Ati Aquablue Special
UVL Super Actinic or Sfiligoi
Ati SunPro 6500K
Ati Aquablue Special
Ati Blue PLus

What do you think ?
And i was going to go with the Tek and try to save some money. Trying not to break the bank completely. Unless all you guys gang up one me and make me buy the Constellation.....? Or the other option being the UltraSolaris 6x54w T5HO with bulbs,..comes out at about the same price. but it has 2 bulbs less...

Last edited by Mac Inger; 08/16/2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08/16/2007, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

I have a question for the T5 God's

Grim Reefer, did you ever found out if you can power T5HO with a PC Ballast?

I have an Odyssea fixture that has 2x 250wMH & 4x 65w PC's, and I want to mod the PC's and replace them w/T5HO's, but I want to use the dual PC ballast, each powers 2x65w PC's

here someone mod a smaller fixture, but they replaced the ballast..

Old 08/16/2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Inger
Grim,..for my 110 6 foot tank i was thinking of a 48inch Tek with these 8 bulbs :

Ati Blue PLus
Sfiligoi Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Ati Aquablue Special
UVL Super Actinic or Sfiligoi
Ati SunPro 6500K
Ati Aquablue Special
Ati Blue PLus

What do you think ?
And i was going to go with the Tek and try to save some money. Trying not to break the bank completely. Unless all you guys gang up one me and make me buy the Constellation.....? Or the other option being the UltraSolaris 6x54w T5HO with bulbs,..comes out at about the same price. but it has 2 bulbs less...
The mix will be fine but if you have a six foot tank you are so going to hate yourself in the morning if you dont get the constellation.
Old 08/16/2007, 01:30 AM

It's a crap shoot as far as the PC ballast firing a t5.

Quote:
Originally posted by jmc74
I have a question for the T5 God's

Grim Reefer, did you ever found out if you can power T5HO with a PC Ballast?

I have an Odyssea fixture that has 2x 250wMH & 4x 65w PC's, and I want to mod the PC's and replace them w/T5HO's, but I want to use the dual PC ballast, each powers 2x65w PC's

here someone mod a smaller fixture, but they replaced the ballast..

Old 08/16/2007, 01:36 AM
Premium Member

I knew it ... damn it...ok

So which bulb should i get out of the lineup since the Constellation is 7 bulbs ?
Old 08/16/2007, 01:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
It's a crap shoot as far as the PC ballast firing a t5.
even as they are electronic ballast?

im thinking each ballast powers 2x 65w PC, so it should power 2x 54w 48" T5HO
Old 08/16/2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Inger
I knew it ... damn it...ok

So which bulb should i get out of the lineup since the Constellation is 7 bulbs ?
1 Aquablue
Old 08/16/2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:

A T8 ballast is electronic too, that doesn't mean they will fire a T5 or a PC.
Old 08/16/2007, 02:02 AM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Quote:

Odds are it will light. I wouldn't suggest using it though - real T5 ballasts are much smarter than straight electronic ballasts.
Old 08/16/2007, 02:15 AM
Premium Member

so ,you think T5HO will make a big diference vs 4x 65w PC, to supplement a Dual 250w MH Phoenix 14k, to justify the cost of new bulbs, end caps and ballast?