Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2003, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

Here's a closer shot of the anemone in it's new location. It's purple tips and it"s overall size are shrunken due to the handling and relocating. Tomorrow it should be in full, normal glory.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/03/2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09/14/2003, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

Next I thought I would post an untouched photo of one of my clams and without a doubt, the most spectacular. Eye candy, don't you think? Who needs diamonds and jewels?

Last edited by Skipper; 04/03/2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09/14/2003, 10:42 AM
Poker anyone?

I love the Clam. Quite a show piece. Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration to us all.
Old 09/14/2003, 10:56 AM
10 & over club

HI everyone,

Extremely nice tank and set-up.

I thought my 300g in wall was alot of work, but yours looks like more

Great job with the set-up

Steve
Old 09/14/2003, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

You can tell by the picture of the clowns how really large the pieces of rock are, amazing.
Old 09/14/2003, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I seriously have not stopped drooling since the beginning of this thread! Your work is amazing, something that I couldnt even fathom or even complete. That tank is honestly the tank of my dreams, so later on when I get old and rich, I'm getting ahold of you to set up something like that for me...

absolutely stunning!
Old 09/14/2003, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

webpolk: Yes, I love that clam also. To think that us mere humans attempt to replicate what nature does with ease. Thanks for the kind words. Luckily I am in the home stretch so work is much less demanding.

Steve: Thanks. I wish more people would photographically chronicle their setup or upgrade construction. So many mistakes could be alleviated with fewer losses of livestock and the potential for healthier tanks.

Snoopdog: Good eye you have there. Those two pieces are the largest of the dead rock. The one on the left was about the size of a really large frozen turkey. And yet it seemed to weigh three times that when I placed it in the tank. A very tense moment it was. I can't wait to see those coralline algae covered.

katydidit: Thanks for the kind words. I think more people would be amazed of what they are actually capable of if they were to just attempt seemingly complex projects. More step-by-step threads like this should help. I hope.
Old 09/14/2003, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

This thread is a good one, I really like the aquascaping, it will be great to see some acro colonies serving as shade for that valley and what have you
Old 09/14/2003, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

How porous was the dead rock you purchased compared to good quality live rock ?
Old 09/14/2003, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Weatherson,
Truely a work of art and your preparation shows a great appreciation for this hobby. This is really motivating!
Beautiful Work! I know a bunch of us here in Northern Cali would love to pay admission to witness this accomplishment first hand.
Old 09/14/2003, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Dustin: Yes, I can see that too. Acros growing out from either side creating a canopy over the valley. A "tube" for the fish to replicate a water park ride! It will just take some time now.

Snoopdog: I know that photo makes them look completely solid but that's not the case. A couple of the smaller pieces are really dense but all the others are very porous. There are many 1" holes that travel deep within the rock. Several others are 3 - 4" but more shallow. Overall, I would say they are equal to good live rock with the difference in that the holes are larger in general. They actually looked like a really big sponge. I'll post another full shot of those two rocks shortly which better show this and if you look back in the thread at the shot where the rock is setting on my patio, you can see this as well.

Twize: Thanks. It's very hard to not look at this tank. It can be mesmerizing and holds your attention with all there is to look at. This and there's no where near the proper amount of corals yet. I look forward to following the progress of your tank. It looks like it will be spectacular. By the way, there's no admission price required but donation corals are accepted. In fact I am only about 5 minutes off of 99 so access is easy. As a side note, I have about 20 bags of Southdown available as I had to over buy to get better shipping prices. They cost me $16 a bag. Thanks for the praise.
Old 09/14/2003, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Here's the shot of the rocks surrounding the anemone and clowns. You can see the porousity but it's still not equal to real life. Again, my digital camera's limitations. This camera is only 1.2 mega pixel at about 5 years old. Anyway, here's the shot:

Last edited by Skipper; 04/03/2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09/14/2003, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

hey i am looking ot get a rose BTA for my tank soon! i wanted to know the procedure you did to get him in that place???? i have the bottom left of my tank ready for one. so let me know!

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/14/2003, 06:07 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

can i have your clam..... PLEASE
Old 09/14/2003, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Nick: Not a problem. It really comes down to looking at where they like to settle on their own and then recreating a spot like this for them. In this case, I placed the rocks so there was a small gap between them at a point where both angle inward. This created a slight cave just out of the main water current but with plenty of lighting still available from above. As far as the anemone taking to it, I just dug a bowl shaped indention in the sand and gently rolled him into it. Then uprighted him and he soon started to dig in. So that's really all there is to it.
Old 09/14/2003, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

derrikd: As a wise man once said, everything is for sale, it's the price that's the deciding factor. But I think I will hang on to that one.
Old 09/14/2003, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks, about how much sand did you dig out or how big oh a hole??

also do you think a BTA is a good first anemone In your opion of course. also will BTAs eat your other fish? what about a mandrain?

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/14/2003, 06:38 PM
August TFR Relay '07

weatherson,
that is an awesome setup! i'd love to see it in person. hwy 99 and what exit?

if you're ever out in this area, please let me know and you can swing by.

tfp
Old 09/14/2003, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Nick: The size of the indention was about twice the size of the anemone when he was contracted due to handling. That was enough to keep him in place. As far as the BTA, I think how well it will do is not so much dependant upon whether it's your first or not but more the conditions of your tank (lighting, water quality, current and so on). I've never kept a BTA so perhaps others could give you more specifics regarding their needs.

tfp: Thanks for the praise. I have no problem should anyone want to see it in person. I'm in Fresno, CA so just contact me to make arrangements prior. I do have family in Sacramento so we head that way periodically. Shall I bring some bags of sand with me?
Old 09/14/2003, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

alright thanks alot if i do get one i thnk i may try your techinque! sounds great! thanks!

Nick
Old 09/16/2003, 09:37 PM
Moved On

ok i would really like a lot more info on yout light rack.. it is exactly what i want to build for my new 300, that i just took off the truck today from IA.. where do you get the aluminum?> what do you use for cutting.. etc.. please share details..
Old 09/16/2003, 09:40 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

weatherson

u are a populer man this got put on saltwaterfish.com also
Old 09/16/2003, 10:01 PM
Moved On

how thick of aluminum?
Old 09/16/2003, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Hi Weatherson,

Although it has all been said before... I did want to post and let you know how much I enjoyed reading this thread. You are very talented indeed to complete a project like this. Congratulations and thanks for sharing this!

- JCI
Old 09/16/2003, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Looks really nice now. i actually would like a few more pics of the equipment
thanks