Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2005, 08:03 AM
Moved On

hurricanes arent trouble as long as the house is made of concrete block and as long as the city isnt below sealevel.
i live in homestead, yes famous for a direct hit by andrew in 92.
i actually moved here from los angeles for the hurricanes because i find them interesting. where i live now is in a brand new complex and the code is top of the line.

this place is a hurricane bunker. its attractive but you could also throw a category 5 at it and this place would be rock solid.

i guess after andrew they raised the code so it would never happen again.

most of the vegetation here is native but attractive stuff that evolved in an area prone to hurricanes so it will survive and not result in large branches or other debris that could cause further damage.
buildings are concrete block floor to ceiling with drywall on the inside. all condos have a safe room bathroom in the center of the floorplan. attractive plastic braces on the front windows add strength (we didnt even know what they were for until we had dennis brush by us). electrical outlets along the walls are higher in case of flood. easy screw-on metal shutters come with all the condos. there is a lake behind out house and even though katrina gave us the worst flooding in years see here http://www.cixel.com/photos/katrina
it only raised the lake level in the back by a few feet where the sign was sitting in the water, we still had a long ways to go before we had to worry because they built the complex much higher up than the surrounding land. wood construction is ILLEGAL here.

i guess my point is, this sort of event only happens to an area once.
after that you build hurricane proof construction and never have to worry about it again.

what cities all along the southeast need to do is take initiative and update their codes to all concrete block ahead of a disaster. that was as developers change the landscape they will upgrade all the buildings and there will be less loss of life when a hurricane does inevitably hit. the problem with that is it costs too much money up front and people lack the foresight just as they didnt repair the levees until it was too late.
Old 09/11/2005, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

This was taken yesterday just a few streets down from our house.

"Click on my little red house for website"
Old 09/11/2005, 12:21 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

OMG, Id be scared. LOL
Old 09/11/2005, 02:04 PM
See if you can pingaso it

water`bug,

Did you have a chance to take pictures of all the damage you sustained at the house? You should do that as soon as possible before the mold gets out of hand and you can't back inside your house for health reasons. Once you get your pets taken care off start filimg and taking pictures of everything that got damaged for the insurance clames. My mother lost everything last year when the Hurricanes pulled the roof off her residence and flooded. it. What I did was take pictures of everything and then called FEMA and then her insurance company. Once we made sure that the pictures would be enough for the adjuster to use to fill out the claim we stripped the condo bare of all the furniture / carpets/ ect.

You could look at this as a chance to remodel the house. I wish you luck! I'm glad your fish made it
Old 09/11/2005, 02:14 PM
Moved On

i lived in a house with terrible terrible mold and it never killed me. it really only hurts immune compromised people.

this is what it looked like while we were moving and we pulled the couch away from the wall
http://www.cixel.com/photos/stuff/dsc01644.html
http://www.cixel.com/photos/stuff/dsc01646.html

it would bloom like this every 3 months and id have to hit the walls with bleach to kill it off. this was in manhattan beach, ca. it was caused by mold in the walls and from the single pane windows sweating on the inside from the temperature difference in the winter. never killed us though. we were paying 1175/month for 650 sq ft and right before we moved to florida they were going to bump us up another 100 dollars in rent.
Old 09/11/2005, 09:01 PM
Will Work for Live Rock

CiXeL, that's nasty. Don't see how you did it.

It's the Journey that makes the Destination so sweet

C. Taylor, M.Ed.
Old 09/11/2005, 09:04 PM
Moved On

lots of bleach
Old 09/11/2005, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

I got back to destrehan friday to find mt 55g SPS tank gone. It was completely gone. No house damage but I lost everything. Well looks like I will just have to start over. Just like down in the parish, if you know what I am talking about if your from here, just going to take it in stride and build a better tank. Thanks for all the support from everyone.
Ryan
Old 09/11/2005, 09:44 PM
Moved On

what i want to know is what are you guys thinking about with your houses regarding the potential for toxic waste in the waters now soaked into your walls? living in those houses with all sorts of heavy metals and industrial chemicals over long periods of time could result in cancers.
Old 09/12/2005, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by COONREEF
I got back to destrehan friday to find mt 55g SPS tank gone. It was completely gone. No house damage but I lost everything. Well looks like I will just have to start over. Just like down in the parish, if you know what I am talking about if your from here, just going to take it in stride and build a better tank. Thanks for all the support from everyone.Ryan
Ryan,

My heart goes out to you and your tank. Not sure what i can do, still being displaced and all... but let me know if i can help.

Cherish each baby step as a blessing.

water`bug

Old 09/12/2005, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
water`bug,

Did you have a chance to take pictures of all the damage you sustained at the house? You should do that as soon as possible before the mold gets out of hand and you can't back inside your house for health reasons. Once you get your pets taken care off start filimg and taking pictures of everything that got damaged for the insurance clames. My mother lost everything last year when the Hurricanes pulled the roof off her residence and flooded. it. What I did was take pictures of everything and then called FEMA and then her insurance company. Once we made sure that the pictures would be enough for the adjuster to use to fill out the claim we stripped the condo bare of all the furniture / carpets/ ect.

You could look at this as a chance to remodel the house. I wish you luck! I'm glad your fish made it
jman77,

Hope FEMA adjusters accepts the pictures for the claim as there was NO WAY we were going to let the mold stay there and grow.

I took pictures of the mold growing on the walls, our clothes, my shoes, our furniture; it's a mess! A BIG mess. I was so afraid to breathe that crap! After taking pictures, I stuffed it all in huge garbage bags and put it next to the curb. I wanted it out of my house. With hot temps that stuff was growing like wild fire.

I wish all my fish and corals had made it. We figured we lost 80%. We were only able to salvage 4 fish and 3 corals.

Thanks for your encouragement...*Counting each blessing.*

water`bug

Old 09/12/2005, 07:08 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

What corals were in there and what were saved? Just wondering if I can contribute some if I have any you lost.
Old 09/12/2005, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

waterbug what part of the city are you from? And do you know of any good clubs that swap frags around the city. Thanks Ryan
Old 09/12/2005, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wentreefgirl
What corals were in there and what were saved? Just wondering if I can contribute some if I have any you lost.
Bless your heart!

Altho i would be honored and thrilled to take you up on your offer, We're in no position to add corals or anything to our tank as it is set up in a temporary setting. Your thoughtfulness and generosity is very humbling.

We lost things like a very nice green finger leather, a pink toadstool, a red mushroom that had split three times, other colored ones as well... a gorgeois purple and blue mushroom rock, must have had 15 of them on one rock, 4 different colored florida ricordia; which were my favorite. We had green star polyps, pink pulsing hand Xenia, it's hanging on, not sure if it's gonna pull through. Same goes for the flower pot, it's minimal at best. It's hard to think clearly still...

Hopefully we can be settled somewhere Mid-late October and start on the 90g again. I just keep my fingers crossed and try to have hope.

Old 09/12/2005, 07:39 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Well keep that hope, its a good thing. I might be getting a frag of hot pink finger leather. If I do, that might help a bit. TIme to grow also until then. I have plenty of Xenia for you, red sea. And I have green star polyps up the wazoo,lol. 5 different colors, 3 green, one pink and one brown. And im sure you can shop more in my tank when the time comes. I also have green finger leather.
Old 09/21/2005, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

For anyone local to New Orleans, Metairie, River Ridge, Kenner, etc... that has incurred damages, lost their tank or lost inhabitants and would like to upgrade to a 90g Oceanic, not drilled.... Please private message us to make arrangements to pick it up.

It's less than a year old, couple small scratches... needs to be drained. Sands probably okay but still needs to be cycled.

Stand is not included. But it's free to someone who may need an upift from the mess Katrina created.

Hope we can encourage someone to make a come back.

water`bug and Sir TJay

(cross-posted on "Hurricane Katrina" link)

Old 09/21/2005, 09:18 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Hello WaterBug,

It's amazing what will grow with some heat and humidity on wood/Drywall huh. Bleach doesn’t do much to the mold. It might seem like it kills it, but it doesn’t. You have to use a fungicide paint if it’s not too bad. More than likely they will strip your house bare down to the concrete and rebuild from there. Once the mold sets into the wood they usually take the wood out. You don’t want to be breathing that stuff either. Besides it getting you pretty sick, some molds are known to cause cancer. Let me know when your ready and I'll donate you some Mushrooms and Zoo's

That's a funny sign you have there too. Last year my manager had some 15 year old kid try to steal his generator at his house. He caught the kid at night trying to break the chain that he had going around the generator. Thank god for the kid my boss kept his cool since it was pich black. The only thing he could see was someone trying to break the chain. He was nice enough to let the kid go with a warning.

And yes my manager was armed.
Old 09/21/2005, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

That is very kind of you.

We are humbled by your generosity,

water`bug and Sir TJay