Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Norman!

Well, all 3 tangs I bought died. I did get credit, which is nice, but it's really a shame. I seriously believe that the QT, being only a 20 gallon long, overcrowded and perpetually stressed the fish, leading to their demise. While I can appreciate the benefits of a QT, I don't think I'll be investing in that for fish in the future.

And in order to stem the wife's tears, I went in a little different direction. I bought five chromis (will probably get a couple more, the store only had 5), a cleaner wrase (which is really cool to watch him interact with the other fish in the tank), and a Springer's dottyback (which is my favorite of today's additions... and I got for a steal). I don't imagine I'll get a good shot of the dottyback any time soon, so here's a shot of it before I added it to the tank.

He's about an inch long.

The red house. Click it!!
Old 08/11/2007, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

Great tank build. I'm hoping to one day upgrade my 120 to a 156. I really like the solution Icecap gave you. I've had the same problem with my light setup and will be doing this over the weekend. Where did you get those clips?

Sorry about the fish loss. I had the same issue about 6 months ago. This is why I have forbid myself from buying fish online anymore. Not because of quality, but because I buy too many to make the deal sweater then place them in my 2 QT (20l and 29), but I've had the same problems you had. No ich, just contusions just like yours that develop into bacterial infections and in such small systems they never make it.

One fish at a time per QT from now on for me.

Can't wait to see your tank fill out.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctreefer
Where did you get those clips?
Thanks, ctreefer!!

I got those clips at an ACE hardware... they had both alligator clips and these, which I'm pretty sure were called "charging clips". They were about a buck each (sold in packs of 4 as I remember).

Quote:
Originally posted by ctreefer
Can't wait to see your tank fill out.
You and me both!

Old 08/11/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

I don't think having the QT was to blame, I think overstocking the QT was to blame. If you had QT'ed the Tangs one at a time it would likely have been fine, although then you need to worry about aggression in the display when you move the Tangs out of QT...
Old 08/11/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinnipegDragon
I don't think having the QT was to blame, I think overstocking the QT was to blame. If you had QT'ed the Tangs one at a time it would likely have been fine, although then you need to worry about aggression in the display when you move the Tangs out of QT...
No, you're probably right WD. If I'd have had a ~75 gallon QT, these guys would have likely responded much better. If I'd have done them one at a time, it probably would have worked out. But in order to justify the shipping charges, I ordered more than was wise... I'm definitely not saying that QTing fish is a bad idea; but the way I carried it out (while with good intentions) was a bad move.

Another lesson learned is that surgeonfish need room. It sounds obvious, but I had five 2-3" fish in a 20 gallon tank. That's probably no different than it would be down the road; five 8-10" fish in a 150 gallon tank. I said elsewhere that it's a shame the way I learned that I was going in the wrong direction, but long term it's probably for the best. Any fish additions will be either smaller fish (<3" as adults) or to replace a removed larger fish. I'll stick with what I've got now!

Old 08/11/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

I'll be in the same boat. I'm going to want to order some fish fro out of province, and when you are paying $70 per shipment just for shipping, it will be tempting to order a few fish at once.

I'm actually seriously considering 2 QT tanks (30 gal or so), so that I can also have a QT and hospital running simultaneously if needed, or even 2 hospitals should disaster strike.

Just need to rob a bank first.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinnipegDragon
Just need to rob a bank first.
We'll keep that just between us

Old 08/11/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Just went through the thread and have to congratulate you on an awesome looking tank and setup. If you dont mind me asking can you give the model number of the ATO 12vdc solenoid valves.I was looking for these all over the place.

Thank you.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ibmgeek
Just went through the thread and have to congratulate you on an awesome looking tank and setup. If you dont mind me asking can you give the model number of the ATO 12vdc solenoid valves.I was looking for these all over the place.

Thank you.
How could I decline a request after the compliments?!? Feel free to ask away, as it's surely my pleasure to help out.

Now a disclaimer, hooking up these directly to the RODI is risky, if that's your plan. I've throttled my output from the RODI to a slow drip, running about 1-2 drips per second, and power the solenoids only 12 hours a day (setup at 30 minutes an hour) with my controller to limit flow to about 3 gallons per day (buy a needle valve for your RODI output if you can). I did lose a hose connection on my Calcium Reactor one night a few weeks back, and by having this setup this way I lost only about ~8-10 gallons from the tank (the RODI couldnt keep up once the pump ran dry). It surely could have been 25-35 gallons otherwise, not to mention diluting the tank, so just keep this in mind!!

But, the part number at www.mcmaster.com is 7877k5, and you'll want to select the 12VDC units (they come in 120VAC, but I had a lot more trouble with those). Good luck, and let me know how they work out if you get them!

Old 08/11/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Ok thanks, I was planning on hooking one of these up on a reservoir tank that when a float switch triggers then the solenoid opens up and lets the water into my return line.

Thanks for the number and again very nice setup.
Old 08/22/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Who knows about blisters!?!

So I'm quite confident this is no big deal, and this is the only coral I have that chooses to perform in such a way, but my pavona enjoys the blistering. I've got a pic (unfortunately it's just with actinics, but hopefuly it's clear enough).

You'll notice in the middle/lower left portion of the coral there are blisters. Is this anything to be concerned about? It looks fine otherwise.

Old 08/22/2007, 11:36 PM
TRC Leader

It could be forming a "drip" of tissue, which is a way of self-propagation. Eric Borneman has some information about this in his book Corals. I can't remember the proper term for this occurance but I do have a couple of pictures from the New England Aquarium where I saw a coral do the same thing.
Old 08/23/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Well allow me to do some more research! I'll post back if I hear anything noteworthy. Thanks, melev!

Old 08/23/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey brother. Can you tell e the dimensions on this tank ?? Thanks
Old 08/23/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefer4eva
Hey brother. Can you tell e the dimensions on this tank ?? Thanks
Hmm, I imagine they can be found somewhere in this thread, but maybe not! It's 24"x24"x60" or so, what Oceanic calls their 156, but is often refered to as merely a 150 or sometimes a 150 breeder.

Old 08/23/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

kk thanks. i tried looking for them in the thread couldnt find them or maybe i jus need glasses lol.
Old 08/23/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Very nice and thought out tank!!! Your cabinetry work is awesome. Though I don't think it is anything close to being simple and easy to build a tank like yours
Old 08/23/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
Very nice and thought out tank!!! Your cabinetry work is awesome. Though I don't think it is anything close to being simple and easy to build a tank like yours
Well, that might be true! The plumbing sure is simple, though. The cabinetry looks simple, which was I gues the thought I had all those months back. Thanks!

Old 08/23/2007, 05:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Just finished looking through the whole thread. And I gotta say congrats on a sweet setup.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 08/28/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

I decided to try some frag mags again. With the 3/4" glass and 1/8" coroplast on my tank, the large arent quite big enough for some of the larger frags I have. I put some tape on the outside part of the magnet and put smaller frags on them. I'm hoping they'll spread onto the glass before they get too big to be held by the magnet itself! Here's a piece of birdsnest and a couple zoas.

Old 08/29/2007, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Very nice thread on a sweeet setup, you have done a great job, really well thought out. Ill be following the progress of your tank with great interest.

If Pacman had effected us as kids, then we'd all be running around in a dark room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music
Old 08/29/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwing206
Just finished looking through the whole thread. And I gotta say congrats on a sweet setup.
Quote:
Originally posted by adddo
Very nice thread on a sweeet setup, you have done a great job, really well thought out. Ill be following the progress of your tank with great interest.
Thank you much! I'm glad it's enjoyed... it's been quite a pleasure to put together and I'm happy to share the progress.

Today I ordered a hydor koralia 3 to put on the floor in the back right corner, as I'm getting a lot of detritus collected on that side of the tank. Hopefully this will stir it all up and eventually get it skimmed out. I'm having a lot of particulate floating around in the tank, and I've a feeling this is contributing. I've also ordered a couple filter socks, though I hesitate in using them. We'll see!

Old 08/29/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

HEy can you post more piks of your tank pleasee. I might get this tank. Also, if you were to get another 156, would you get this tank again. thanks
Old 08/29/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefer4eva
HEy can you post more piks of your tank pleasee. I might get this tank. Also, if you were to get another 156, would you get this tank again. thanks
Ah, you'll need to be a little more explicit. What kind of pictures are you looking for?

I like this tank, it serves my purposes. My preference would be to have a built in tank, though. If doing that, I would likely have investigated getting starfire glass, as well as an external overflow. For what this tank is, though, it's great. I love that it has no top bracing, and it's a good size. You phrased the question well, however, becaue I don't think I'd get a 150 if I had room for a 180. Unfortunately, the wall was 6" too short for a 180.

Old 08/29/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I also think this is a good size tank. Not too big not too small but big enough to house almost any fish. I was first getting a 210 gallon but then i decided that it's too big of a tank right now for me since im still living with my parents. As for pictures, full tank shots would be great. Thanks appreciate it.