Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2005, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

wow, thats BLUE. The fish don't seem to mind tho.
Old 06/20/2005, 05:03 PM
TRC Leader

I thought it was time to post some more images of the happy corals. I know this thread was getting a little bogged down with my ongoing PO4-saga.

Yesterday, I decided to remove any corals that looked or were in fact dead. Just getting those out helped lift my spirits because they weren't reminders of the losses. I also peeled off some type of lifeform that Dr Ron referred to as sponge. It was clutching onto the main rock of the tank, with superhuman (or should I say supersponge) strength. I got under a section, and weakened its grip from the rock a section at a time. I didn't remove it all, but depleted it down to about 10% of what it was. The creature came off in thin pieces, quite similar to leather. It was hard to the touch, similar to galvanized rubber. Beneath it was dark purple coralline surprisingly, and more of the yellow sponge that I've seen on that rock. Getting that out of the tank made me feel a lot better. I'd looked it up on Google in the past, and it was referred to as "turkey liver" for some reason by someone.

One more negative picture. This is the work of my Clown Goby. It is now going to be removed from the tank, because I simply can't stand it. It has been chewing on a coral that I've been watching grow for over a year, and to see white skeleton is just beyond aggravating. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, happy pictures, right guys?

Old 06/20/2005, 05:04 PM
"Old Yeller"

Yea kind of milky for an hour or so.

BTW:

I would like to thank you for all the work you put in on your site for everyones benefit. Being a webmaster myself I do know the amount of time and work it takes.

I just hope the community is able to help you back in return.

I am sure that if you suffer losses, the good folks here would be more than happy to contribute some new frags. I will (not that I have much you would want but it is there if you ever need it)
Old 06/20/2005, 05:04 PM
TRC Leader

Old 06/20/2005, 05:07 PM
TRC Leader

You are very kind. Thank you Randall. Once the water is in line, I'm going to focus on getting some new pieces to make the tank look better. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great to me either.
Old 06/20/2005, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

AAggghh - my eyes!!!!!

Now that your new sump is in, you've got to get some woodworking done....

Really though, love the progress and the reports!
Old 06/20/2005, 05:10 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by cseeton
AAggghh - my eyes!!!!!

Now that your new sump is in, you've got to get some woodworking done....
Yeah, yeah.
Old 06/20/2005, 05:45 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

new sump design

Marc,

Good luck on your battle with P04! Nice pictures of your corals, love your zoas!

I asked a few weeks back about sumps and I appreciate your input. I'm getting ready to build a replacement sump for my 75 gallon tank. I have a 29 gallon tank and will be building my own baffles. If you could take a quick look at my design, do you see any major design flaws or could you suggest any improvements?

A couple of comments:

1. The shelf going into the refugium was a suggestion I saw on Dr Calfo's column on RC, to give a more laminar flow that will help rotate the cheato.

2. I can position the output from my skimmer to return to the drain section, allowing some of the water to go through the skimmer again, is this a good idea?

3. Is my bubble trap correct, under, over, under?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 06/20/2005, 05:47 PM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I also peeled off some type of lifeform that Dr Ron referred to as sponge...
OK what did I miss? What is this thing you wanted out of your tank and why did you want it out so bad? I've been with you for a couple of splits now so I'm not going back to re-read the thread on principle.

By the way very nice pics! I'm going to see how talented I am pretty soon. I'm going to order the macro lense attachment for my digital camera.
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 06/20/2005, 06:01 PM
TRC Leader

Re: new sump design

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Marc,

Good luck on your battle with P04! Nice pictures of your corals, love your zoas!

I asked a few weeks back about sumps and I appreciate your input. I'm getting ready to build a replacement sump for my 75 gallon tank. I have a 29 gallon tank and will be building my own baffles. If you could take a quick look at my design, do you see any major design flaws or could you suggest any improvements?

1. The shelf going into the refugium was a suggestion I saw on Dr Calfo's column on RC, to give a more laminar flow that will help rotate the cheato.

2. I can position the output from my skimmer to return to the drain section, allowing some of the water to go through the skimmer again, is this a good idea?

3. Is my bubble trap correct, under, over, under?

Thanks!

Brian
Sure, the skimmer can drain into the return section, or it can drain into the drain section if you prefer for reskimming (not that I believe that actually happens.

The shelf idea is fine if you like. I believe the water is traveling in a laminar flow in that layout anyway, and it won't hurt at thing to put it in there.

The bubble trap is backwards. Over - Under - Over. Keep the baffles 1" apart, with the center baffle 1.5" off the floor of the sump.

Remember, your return pump only needs to turn over the main display tank 3x to 5x per hour. Anymore more may result in microbubbles.
Old 06/20/2005, 06:03 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by selgado
OK what did I miss? What is this thing you wanted out of your tank and why did you want it out so bad? I've been with you for a couple of splits now so I'm not going back to re-read the thread on principle.

By the way very nice pics! I'm going to see how talented I am pretty soon. I'm going to order the macro lense attachment for my digital camera.
This is the creature:

Old 06/20/2005, 06:17 PM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Quote:
This is the creature:

OK picture says it all. Geez what is that the creature from the deep? Thanks for the quick reply!
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 06/20/2005, 06:38 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Re: Re: new sump design

Quote:
Sure, the skimmer can drain into the return section, or it can drain into the drain section if you prefer for reskimming (not that I believe that actually happens.

The shelf idea is fine if you like. I believe the water is traveling in a laminar flow in that layout anyway, and it won't hurt at thing to put it in there.

The bubble trap is backwards. Over - Under - Over. Keep the baffles 1" apart, with the center baffle 1.5" off the floor of the sump.

Remember, your return pump only needs to turn over the main display tank 3x to 5x per hour. Anymore more may result in microbubbles.
Thanks Marc! You are very helpful My return pump does about 4x the main tank, the only source of microbubbles is my skimmer and no bubble trap in my current sump, this new one should take care of that.

B.
Old 06/20/2005, 08:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

well any results yet? hope it helps a lot.

keep us posted

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/20/2005, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Marc, your pictures are beautiful as usual....all except that blob thing...EWEEEglad you got rid of it. I don't remember ever seeing a turkey liver but after seeing that blob I now understand the name.lol
Old 06/20/2005, 09:22 PM
TRC Leader

WOOHOO!!!!

Phosphate: .1 to .25ppm

Looks like it worked!!!
Old 06/20/2005, 09:29 PM
TRC Leader

Okay, let me catch my breath!!!! I couldn't believe it as I added the second part of the test kit and the water didn't turn blue like it always does. Even after shaking it for 30 seconds, it looked like it was almost clear.

Keep in mind that I have four phosphate removers running simultaneously right now. That is kind of silly, but they are.

Phosphate Reactor with 150mg of Phosban
Tunze Silphos running about 400g through a Tunze pump & basket
2 Pura-Pad adsorbtion pads in the baffles that are dark brown
and 330 ml of PhosBuster Pro added earlier this afternoon.

I want to remove all those extra items and focus on one specific type from now on. I own two Phosban Reactors, so maybe if I keep both of them running (each rated for 150g), I can keep the levels down from this point forward.

I plan to keep Phosbuster Pro on hand for those times when things elevate.

One thing I noticed were some snails were off the glass and upside down on the sand. It might have been mere coincidence or maybe the tangs knocked a few off their perches. I flipped over a couple while I had the chance.

I'd really like to see if the tank can keep the PO4 levels down permanently now that they are so low. Hopefully the larger skimmer and the refugium packed with macros will be able to keep up with the PO4 being released in the tank.
Old 06/20/2005, 09:34 PM
Not bad, drawn that way

Marc - Congratulations!!!!!

It's been a long haul for you and I hope you now have it licked.

Mickey
Old 06/20/2005, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

way to go Marc!!!
Old 06/20/2005, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

^5 Marc...

Sounds like you may have it licked...
Old 06/21/2005, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

Looks like Nipples is still doing well. Nipples, What a great name for that coral.

BTW Marc, I have a spare capacitor that would work with your ballast. I had my Electrical Group leader find one for you. Let me know if you would like to have it for a spare.
Old 06/21/2005, 04:08 AM
TRC Leader

Andy, you have the right one? I've been trying to track one down. It has to be the right model number - Advance 7C240P40R

If you do have it, let me know how much you want for it, and figure shipping in that amount. I talked to HelloLights today, and they are willing to accept the ballast & capacitor I ordered last week without a restocking fee. I never even opened the box. One of the local club members told me he had a source for the capacitor, so I figured I'd prefer to buy just the one thing I need vs buying an entire setup.
Old 06/21/2005, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

Marc,

Looks like the initial results with Phosbuster are the same as I got. Keep an eye out it because mine keeps coming back in a couple days. I'm now trying Phos Ban after the Phosbuster to see if it will help hold the PO4 down. Good luck.

Miles
Old 06/21/2005, 07:48 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

melev - congrats!!! glad you phosphate is down but watch it comming back up. keep us posted on how it goes

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/22/2005, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Andy, you have the right one? I've been trying to track one down. It has to be the right model number - Advance 7C240P40R

If you do have it, let me know how much you want for it, and figure shipping in that amount. I talked to HelloLights today, and they are willing to accept the ballast & capacitor I ordered last week without a restocking fee. I never even opened the box. One of the local club members told me he had a source for the capacitor, so I figured I'd prefer to buy just the one thing I need vs buying an entire setup.
You have a PM.