Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2006, 03:25 PM
Network Samurai

I'll pick some up tomorrow... it will sit around for about a week after I get it (normal for my schedule). I'll let you know if I see anything funky.
Old 04/25/2006, 11:05 AM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Quote:
Originally posted by SBJim
A word of caution:

I've been using UCSB water for a year or so now with good results. However...

I picked up 2 rubbermaid bins-full on Thursday, with a plan to do a water change on Friday. On Friday, both bins had some growth in them that I've never seen before: brown circles on the plastic surfaces that were under water, ranging from the size of an eraser-head to the size of a nickel. I chucked the water, skipped the water change for this week, and am going to try again next week.
Did you test it before you tossed it? Just curious.
Old 04/25/2006, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Just picked up some water, and rested a .25 ppm phosphate level. Same level I tested a couple of weeks ago. I got 0 before that wave of storms hit us, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I'll just have to filter them out before I use it. Anyone else have phosphate issues?

Eric T. Danielson
Old 04/27/2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I didn't test it before I chucked it. I did take pics of the growth, however, and will post tonight when I get home.
Old 04/28/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Here's that pic from last week. I had the exact same growth in 2 different bins, so I'm pretty sure it was the water.

I got a new batch yesterday, and just did a water change, so if you hear no screams of horror, it's now doing just fine.

The picture makes me cautious. Definitely letting it sit at least overnight from now on before using it.
Old 04/28/2006, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

If it makes you feel any better I get the same little diatoms with mixed water after I let it sit for a week. It's "live" water, so ther's always microfauna in it. Did you test for phosphates?

Eric T. Danielson
Old 04/28/2006, 01:26 AM
Tailspot Blenny

I got that once after leaving a jug in direct sunlight for a week, it was Harbor Bay NSW
Old 04/29/2006, 11:03 PM
Network Samurai

Left a bucket on my back porch full of UCSB NSW. No brown stuff. Just looked at it today... still looks good.

I left it covered for the entire time, and its a white bucket in direct sunlight.

I just got another batch during the rains last week and poured some in my frag tank. Everything is still alive and kicking (fish, corals, anemone etc)
Old 05/01/2006, 08:44 AM
I yam what I yam

Everything in my tanks are still doing good. Got a bit of red slime going in the new tank. May be the water, may not. but all of my corals are open as usual and look good like they always have since swapping to the ucsb water.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 05/01/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I just added 5 gallons last night.. so far, they all look happy. I'm just worried out continuing phosphate in the water to deal with.

Eric T. Danielson
Old 05/01/2006, 01:35 PM

I will just keep dripping Kalk to keep the occasional bit of phosphates under control. Still better than mix or Catalina water for the money. Especially when you use as much as Ray!
Old 05/01/2006, 02:07 PM
I yam what I yam

Yep. Took the big truck last time, got 300+ gallons and did a 50%water change on both tanks. Got no water left after that. Got to make another trip soon.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 05/26/2006, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Just a friendly reminder from the UCSB staff, (not implying that anyone on this board was the culprit) the NSW hookup is a great resource and cuts costs a bunch, but lets try and keep the area clean and the hose put back on the rack. The last few days i have gone by and the hose was left on the ground, sand everywhere. Lets all do our part to make sure some administrator doesn't decide to cut off access to the NSW! thanks -
Old 05/26/2006, 03:55 PM
I yam what I yam

Thanks for the reminder.

Old 05/30/2006, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

hey i have some questions.........

1. are there any time limitations to the free water? (gates that close or whatnot)

2. how long is the spigot or hose thingy that the water comes from?

i'm planning on heading up on wednesday, so quick responses would be appreciated!
Old 05/30/2006, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

answers: there are no gates anywhere, the hose is maybe 25ft total. but thats just a guess. more than enough to reach around the bed of a truck. just remember to put it back on the rack and enjoy the best NSW around.
Old 05/30/2006, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

sweet deal. can't get any better than that!
Old 05/30/2006, 12:41 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I'm down at UCSB again visiting! It's too bad I didn't drive down with a huge truck to get water. Anyway, if you guys come over here for the water, be sure to checkout the beaches, the weather is beautiful!!!
Old 06/05/2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poedag
Just a friendly reminder from the UCSB staff, (not implying that anyone on this board was the culprit) the NSW hookup is a great resource and cuts costs a bunch, but lets try and keep the area clean and the hose put back on the rack. The last few days i have gone by and the hose was left on the ground, sand everywhere. Lets all do our part to make sure some administrator doesn't decide to cut off access to the NSW! thanks -
I have never been to the UCSB campus...but could that possibly be from surfers?

I get water down at Scripps in SD all the time, and surfers are constantly coming up wanting to "borrow the hose for a sec" so they can wash sand off of all their gear and feet after dragging it across the beach.
Old 06/05/2006, 02:41 PM
I yam what I yam

I don't think so since the hoes is so far away from the beach and in a somewhat sort of hidden area. If you didn't know what it was or that it was there, you wouldn't even give it a second look. Took me a bit to find it the first time I went looking and I even had directions and a map.

Yes, everyone please be curtious to others and put things away. Some of us drive a bit of a distance to use this facility and would hate to see it go away as my tank, as well as others, seems to do much better with the NSW over ASW.

Old 06/05/2006, 03:27 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota_reef
Just picked up some water, and rested a .25 ppm phosphate level. Same level I tested a couple of weeks ago. I got 0 before that wave of storms hit us, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I'll just have to filter them out before I use it. Anyone else have phosphate issues?
Last I checked it was <.1, but that was a few months ago...

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 06/05/2006, 04:43 PM
Tailspot Blenny

maybe your phosphate tester is tainted with something?
Old 06/05/2006, 06:09 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Me or him? I got a Hach. Gotta wash those things out pretty well afterwards. Hmm, was it .1 or .01? maybe .05...

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 06/05/2006, 08:18 PM

I just went up there this last Friday to grab some water on the way home and found the hose neatly wrapped around the reel.

In fact, there have only been a handful of occasions where I found it on the ground, and it looked to me like it had just fallen off the reel on it's own. The hose is just crusty enough that you need to sort of tuck it under itself to keep it from jumping off.
Old 06/06/2006, 08:46 AM
I yam what I yam

Got about 250 G last night. Part of the hose was off the reel, like some one was in a hurry to put it back on and missed in the middle.

It was all neatly tucked away when I left. Fish are doing fine after a 200 G waterchange. Got to change the other tank tonight.