Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/22/2007, 08:56 PM
One Good Friend

OK, here's about 4 days of skimmate from the sk388, it actually overflowed and got gunk all over the skimmer and what not in my sump......a nasty mess! So it skimmed well over 11 cups...yea, alot! Here's the pics of the skimmate cup and the color of the skimmate. It was a medium brown color. I would have put it in a cup but it was 1am, and i had been on a plane for about 8hrs with a 3yr old...i was tired and had to work the next day.(rambling)

Old 05/22/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

You're getting quite a bit man! Are you ever gonna stock your tank with fish?
Old 05/23/2007, 06:44 AM
One Good Friend

Yea, i added the fish a week ago, so its starting to get some good bioload in there. All are ick free......again(lol) and they are very happy to be out of qt. I think the next thing i'll be getting is an air meter to see what this thing is doin. Oh, i got a ps160 coming my way for a skim off.......should be pretty fun.
Old 05/23/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Hey

Hey again all! I am going to be selling my Via-Aqua I found a hell of a deal on a Euro-Reef, and am going to take it. This is the 200 that origina;;y was Luke's, and I bought about 3 weeks ago. It comes with a practically brand new Gen-x 2400, which is modded with mesh and a 5/8ths venturi.
80.00, plus shipping.
Thanks alot!-Adam
Old 05/23/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

wow, I figured people would be all over this
Old 05/23/2007, 02:05 PM
One Good Friend

I think i sold 8 of them in about 2hrs on there.......post some skimmate pics and it'll be gone in a couple hrs.
Old 05/23/2007, 02:16 PM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Quote:
Originally posted by hoyta
wow, I figured people would be all over this
Post it in the 'Used Equipment & Drygoods Selling" forum and they just might be.
Old 05/24/2007, 10:40 PM
One Good Friend

OK, i'm skimming a bit wetter, lots o stuff goin on in my head. Here's some pics of the last 12 hrs of skimmate. I'm honest, the skimmer is just now getting consistent. I can pull 10 cups a day of this stuff. And i will be. It turned green now. Go figure.

Yea i know its not the darkest skimmate by any means but dang, i can pull 12 cups a day of this. That is to the point where you don't need water changes in my opinion. Alright............i've hit my limit with pumps. I'm gonna go off soon!
Old 05/24/2007, 10:47 PM
One Good Friend

I'm done with being politically correct with the whole NW vs venturi thing. The difference.....a venturi is a different impeller and the air injector is after the output of the pump. A NW is a thinner impeller with a air injector before the input.

What a shi%bag. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MESHMODED NW OR A FREAKIN REGULAR IMPELLER CUT DOWN. DON'T PAY THE EXTRA DOLLARS TO GET A NW. ITS FREAKIN SILLY TO DO.

I'm done tonight. Look at the pics. A NW mesh mod can do the same as a regular impeller mod.

Later
Old 05/24/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Sayin it like it is!!!! Nice. I will keep that in mind.
Old 05/24/2007, 10:58 PM
One Good Friend

Here's a cheap reminder between the two..................which i posted a whilel back

It is easy to mod....ok, i'm really done now........later
Old 05/25/2007, 10:35 PM
One Good Friend

Alright, i got my skimmer Tuned pretty well now. It usually takes about a month with these skimmers to get them how you want them. Anyhow, to the pics. I pulled nearly two 24oz cups of this stuff, so almost 6 cups! WOW, pretty good. And this is the way i like my skimmate. It basically doesn't build up all over the riser tube, its dark and it keeps skimming smoothly this way. Here ya go.........i just needed someone to share the second cup with. My 3yr old boy said it was disgusting! LOL.

Cheers!

Old 05/25/2007, 10:37 PM
One Good Friend

Oh yea, this was in less than 24hrs. About from 11pm last night to today around 9. So 22hrs.
Old 05/25/2007, 10:41 PM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Well now if the 3 yr old is that picky, try a couple of shakes of Tabasco sauce in it.
That should give it a little zip!
Old 05/26/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Hey Luke

Did you ever mess with the air intake or have you always left it open.I get wat more bubbles in the chamber when i turn the airdown,but then the water always seems to flow over the pipe.

Mines working great fills the cup halfway up twice a day,of nice green tea looking stuff,but of course i want to mess with it,
Old 05/26/2007, 09:56 AM
One Good Friend

Jason, good to know. I took off the regular pump and venturi a long time ago....matter of fact, i never even tried it stock : ) So i have my own venturi and pump on there i modded. I posted pics of it all a while back. But if your getting that much per day I wouldn't worry about doing anything. I would however get a silencer for the noise the venturi makes. That stock one is like an engine.
Old 05/28/2007, 12:16 AM
One Good Friend

OK, here's the last 24hrs. Its about 9cups, each of these cups are 24oz.

There ya go
Old 05/29/2007, 07:31 AM
One Good Friend

I made another mod on the venturi last night and put an even latger air hose and air injector on it. A 3/4" hose, and it now sounds like a motor running. The silencer helped a ton but its still fairly loud, not to loud though. We'll see if wifey says anything in the morning when she gets up. Its pulling some serious air now. When i got up there was already three cups worth in the skimmate cup and its darker than normal. I'll post some pics tonight when i get home. Anyone else going to post some skimmate pics anytime soon? How's everyone doin?
Old 05/29/2007, 08:53 PM
One Good Friend

OK, here's the last 15 or so hrs. I'm gonna skim dryer, i hate cleanin out the cup so much. I can hopefully go to dark brown or black skimmate and pull out three cups a day. I'd be fairly happy with that.

Still looks pretty good and pry around 8 cups in 15 or 16hrs. Not to shabby.
Old 05/30/2007, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

Hey Has anyone else just had there skimmer quit skimming,ive got the 200.It quit like a week ago.Was working great and now nothing.Ive been adjusting the overflow tube but nothing seems to help.if i mess with the air it whites the thing out but i get alot micro bubbles,and it seems to want to overflow.Anyideas?????

thanks
Old 05/30/2007, 06:48 AM
One Good Friend

Well, here's my thoughts on it not skimming. These guys truly take around a month to become set and forget, the only annoying thing i've noticed about them. If you run it stock, you must keep the air open full throttle to get the best skimmate. The water level isn't a huge issue, seems to do fine from 4-8 inches. Once you get it skimming consistently it seems to always be fine. When you feed it kills the skimmate production for around an hour or less.

Jason, the whiter it is the better it'll perform. Just try getting the bubble line to the bottom of the riser tube and start over. It should start to prduce some skimmate. It its still pulling air, it won't stop skimming unless your water level is to low in the skimmer. Sometimes they need to be adjusted for the first month. You may get alot of microbubbles, there's no getting away from that, but thats what the baffles are for in your sump and bubble traps. I personally don't have any micro problem but i have them in my sump. Have you dosed your tank with anything lately? Additives?
Old 06/02/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

I just got the skimmer from hoyta and all I can say is holy slitz
Old 06/02/2007, 09:33 AM
One Good Friend

Welcome silvers, and if its for your 55g, wow, good stuff. Post some pics of some skimmate when you start to get some. You'll have to keep the water leveler near the bottom of the skimmer just so you know. Let us know if you need any help
Old 06/02/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Hey Luke
thanks for the advice,its working like mad again,just kept messing with it not sure what i did excactley but its woking again.
Old 06/02/2007, 06:05 PM
One Good Friend

Good stuff Jason, these guys are finicky for a month or so, but once fully broken it, there awesome!