Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/19/2007, 07:34 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
Yes, unplug! But even though you unplug, some ballasts/capacitors may still have a charge in them.
Um ... thanks, thats really gonna make me feel better tonight. I'm glad like you other Elos owners I don't have guns. I would have already made swiss cheese out of this!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 07/19/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Always be aware of some residual energy. You have already come this far so go for the fuse upgrade. That or get your money back. Good luck

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 07/19/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

HEHE! But you have better gun options than I do living in Arizona!

If I ever run into problems with my fixture like some of you I would go nuts!

You know, come to think of it. 15 amps may not be enough for 4 ballasts at startup, since you mention there are 1 250w and 1 70w per bulb. You figure most MH ballasts use 3-5 amps each. Wouldn't that equal out to 12-20 amps for dual 400w?

Each of my ACLS have a 15 amp fuses and it's only 250w each...
Old 07/19/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Dave, been following this thread from the bleachers and thought it time to chime in. I've some wiring experience, mostly automotive, but applicable in this case I feel. I also spoke with Chad at length trying to trouble shoot his fixture. What Alesandro says makes perfect sense. I also agree with Nuuze that 2 fuses may not be enough. Personally I would put a fuse on each of the black wires into the individual transformers. Hanging loose is not an issue as long as they won't be laying on any hot sheet metal or potentially hot (electrically) connections. Stagger the fuse holders, then bundle them with a zip tie.

And PLEASE be careful of residual electricity, especially in the capacitors, that's what they do, store energy. It looks to me like you're well away from them and should be fine.

CAReefer
Old 07/19/2007, 09:01 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Hey CAreefer - nice seeing you over here! Do you like your Reeflux 10K's with all that fluorescent lighting? Have you tried the 12K's yet?

I spoke with my GC and decided this is all silly. I'm just going to replace the ballasts. Sfiligoi has all but said that this is an error. Chad had the same problem but they told him the cause was different - so why should I believe this will solve the issue. They keep sending fuses and emails - but never a new ballast. Will and Alessandro are nice people for sure. And maybe I should give this more time and effort - but I don't think I should. No other brand would let it get this far. Besides, I just want to get on with my tank & thread.

Maybe the fuse would work, maybe it wouldn't but I've had this light for a long time and its still sitting on my floor so I'll just suck it up and write it off. I asked AO to split the true cost of two new ballasts but I haven't heard back. If I do any more work on this fixture, it will be a real solution - not a bandaid. Thats what you do with cheap fixtures, not high end fixtures. If Sfiligoi wants to BE a high end seller in the states, they should act like one.

Kind of related - I'm using a German LED light maker and a Spanish pendant maker for lighting in my business. Talk about cool stuff - check these out.

http://www.traxontechnologies.com/
http://www.luziferlamps.com/

I'm getting a few of the pendants on Luzifer's homepage and some LED light panels and LED projectors from Traxon for my business. They are wicked.

Last edited by Fliger; 07/19/2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:32 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Here are a few pix that I took earlier today. I'm always an SPS guy first but I do love the Japanese/Australian LPS.

Old 07/19/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Ditched the RL bulbs alltogether for the Helios. The 12ks were okay. But short lived on the HQI ballasts. The Helios seem to be holding up well.

One more thing on the lights, and then I'll let it go. I don't feel this would be a bandaid at all. Just a difference in the power source between Italy and the US and the design of the fixture. I think this would have solved Chad's problem too. After looking at the pics again, adding the fuses would be a 5 minute job. You've got the fuses already, just pic up the holders at AutoZone or Kragen. Without the schematic I can't be sure, but it looks like all you'd have to do is use a butt connector between the white wire from the power cord and the black wire from the back of the current fuse holder. Snip the 2 blue wires and put the inline holders on the blue wires. They are not directional so it matters not which way the power flows through the holder or the fuse. 5 butt connectors and 4 snips with the wire cutters to fix the problem. Again, I agree totally with Alessandro's diagnosis. I just wish he had mentioned this to Chad. 2- 250 watt ballasts trying to fire through a single 15 amp fuse ain't going to work. No matter how "slow blow" the fuse.

I do understand your frustration, but heck try it while you're waiting for the E-ballasts. I couldn't agree more, after one or two attempts at troubleshooting, you and Chad both should have had new fixtures. I'll drop the subject now and let the thread get back onto the tank build which is looking great BTW. Love the pics. Keep em coming.

CAReefer
Old 07/19/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

CAreefer,

How's your coral growth with 400w helios? I noticed there's a 250w version but I'm stuck between nice colors or growth. I'm currently running 250w BLV 10k's. I been stuck between Reeflux, XM or Phoenix, now possibly helios...
Old 07/19/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Great looking stuff David. Did you see the guy who goes by bluetrigger on zeo? He has a thread going over there called "few pics of my zeo tank" or something like that. He has a pic of a Acan on there that is truely mind blowing. I've never seen so many different colors on a Acan.

OK, I see what Alessandro is saying. Right now both ballast combos are running off the single fuse. He would like you to add another fuse holder (one to fit fuses you can find locally). My ballasts drew a total of 4A's each (250w=3A's and the 70w=1A). I'm not sure what they would draw on startup. That would probably be enough to pop the 10A fuse. 15A I don't know. How many other fixtures have been sold in the states? With the way the wiring is configured you would think everyone they have in the states would have the same problem.

Would it work? I don't know. The way my fixture was configured I had a dedicated fuse (10A) for each of my bulbs. Each bulb/ballast combo drew 4A's. So 4 amps on a 10 amp fuse. funny thing is I only blew fuses on 1 bulb. The other 2 never had a issue. I figured maybe it was a short somewhere in the wiring for that bulb. When I took it apart I never did find anything that looked suspicious.

Honestly, I was a little nervous of changing the ballasts. I liked the idea of being able to switch from 250w > 400w or back w/o issue but honestly since changing to IC's I have not been happier. I love those ballasts and it's nice to know that IC is second to none w/ customer service.

I would think you would be very happy w/ the IC conversion. The fixture is absolutely top notch. I love the reflectors-nice wide spread of light.

If you decide to switch to IC's let me know. I can send as many pics as you would like to help w/ the conversion.

Just so you know, you should have a transformer for your T-5's in between one of the reflectors in the fixture. I would imagine you just wired direct to the mogul sockets bypassing all the transformer stuff.

You may actually be able to install the IC's in the fixture if you were to take out the MH ballasts and the T-5 transformer. That would be very cool. You would'nt even be able to tell you dont any work to it

Chad
Old 07/19/2007, 11:18 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

(copied from another thread where I seem to get no love)

Thanks Chad (everyone). Can someone tell me where the capacitors are and what they look like? I keep hearing to watch out for them but have not been told this by Sfiligoi.

I just can't help but keep thinking .... isn't this exactly why I go with products like Elos, Sfiligoi, H&S, etc? So that I don't have to do these things?

But I'll try it. I just need to know where the capacitors are, and if there is any other risk of injury. I truly thought that as long as the fixture was unplugged, I would not be at any risk of injury.

Thanks,

David

ps - I did see that thread. I just wonder if the vendor (wickedfrags) uses HIS photo or the other way around. There's a guy here on RC with the same photo but he finally got one of his own. Its a niiiice Lord.

pps - If its a "load" issue, wouldn't all 2x400W fixtures have this issue?

Last edited by Fliger; 07/19/2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07/19/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Capacitors should be the round cylinder looking things, it may be inside your fixture. The pictures above are the 115v to 220v transformers. Reason why we're saying be careful because they are like batteries and can hold a charge until you ground out the hot leads accidently touching wires together or fingers in between.

Remember back in the boomin car stereo days? The black round overized battery looking things in peoples trunks so their headlights don't dim when the bass goes boom? Those are very similar. They hold a jolt of charge in reserve to juice equipment steadily. It's the amps that will kill ya not the volts. Volts just make your arm tingly and numb for an hour or so, amps will make your heart literally skip a beat like a heart defibrillator.

Just be careful and wear latex gloves. Oh, and take off your ring.

I was thinking the same...If Sfiligoi claims to be the high end company they are then why don't they resolve your problems already. It's not like you bought it used or anything. Wouldn't this be bad press for them? I mean if it were my company I would of sent you a new one and called the bad one back to see what the heck went wrong so I know which of my employees to scream at. That's the same reason why I buy Sfiligoi, Elos, etc...

At least with Elos, Jesse is less than an hour of driving from me and I know he has parts! J/K Jesse, you're the best!
Old 07/20/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

David, Here is a pic of the capacitors. they are the white tubes w/ the wires coming out of them

[IMG][/IMG]

Chad
Old 07/20/2007, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
CAreefer,

How's your coral growth with 400w helios? I noticed there's a 250w version but I'm stuck between nice colors or growth. I'm currently running 250w BLV 10k's. I been stuck between Reeflux, XM or Phoenix, now possibly helios...
Nothing mind blowing, but much better than it was witht he Phoenix or Hamiltons. Growth has never been an issue in my tank. I really would like to have some pics to back up my claims, but I've reaquascaped twice, and now with the split seam, there just hasn't been time. I'll look through what I have though. The Reeflux 12k wasn't a bad bulb (colorwise) at all. Decent growth as well. It was SE 400 watt version however. The 10k DE 250 watt version did absolutely nothing for me.

CAReefer
Old 07/20/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

IMHO at this point it really is shamefull the way Sfiligoi has behaved in this situation. It is suposedly a ''high end'' component for which you payed a premium price for and should have a certain level of company support associated with. I'm sure that the way they have turned a blind eye to this will sour many future potential buyers of Sfiligoi products.... it has surely done so for me
Old 07/24/2007, 04:07 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Made some progress on lighting. The T5 ballasts blew the first day (entire ballast) so Reefgeek sent me a new ballast & plug. I completely bypassed the internal ballasts and rewired the ballast remotely. Its easy to do, but extremely tedious and time consuming (and beer consuming).

The light is good. They are run to spec with this ballast so its bright - but not super bright like a 660. Still - the tank is pretty darn bright with just the four T5's.

May I introduce to you ... FRANKENLIGHT

Fuses are still poppin with the MH - AO said he'd send me a modded dual fuse box. I am really hoping it comes soon!

More to come over the next few days ....

Old 07/24/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

So I'm guessing that's not the look you were after when you bought this fixture .

I was wondering fliger.... Did you take the fixture out and blow off a couple fuses for the kids on the 4th of July?

That ballast blowing would of been a good way to end the show .

Just kidding buddy, I could'nt resist

Any word on when you will get the reconfigured fuse box?

Kudos to reef geek for taking care of the T-5 ballast.

Chad
Old 07/24/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

That's great that you got some lighting on from the fixture now. Yeah, the 54w T5's are pretty dang bright!
Old 07/24/2007, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Dude, I would STOP.

Send it back to them and start over with another brand.

If they don't take it back sue them for the light/corals lost/ and your time F'ing with it.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:23 AM
Set it up

Quote:
Originally posted by CalvinC4S
Dude, I would STOP.

Send it back to them and start over with another brand.

If they don't take it back sue them for the light/corals lost/ and your time F'ing with it.
Ditto!!!! When you spend that kind of money ......nevermind.......... I would move on. But you do have me LMAO ad guy doing electical
Old 07/25/2007, 10:53 PM
Team RC Member

David, your patience and diligence are truly commendable. There's a lot to be said about DIY projects; you can save a bunch of cash, and you have the satisfaction of having created something yourself. But when you buy a fully equipped light pendant, you're not buying a DIY project, you're buying something that should be perfect right out of the box. I love doing things myself, but there's no way on earth that I would have the huevos to take something like that apart and try to repair it. I would have demanded an exchange the moment it didn't work on day 1. I truly hope this works out for you. If you grow tired of it, why don't you consider one of the Elos light fixtures - I think they're bad a** and that would complete the look of your system quite nicely.

On another topic, your coral frags are just beautiful, and I can't wait to see them growing out in your well-lit tank.
Old 07/25/2007, 10:55 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
So I'm guessing that's not the look you were after when you bought this fixture .
Dude, that's friggin' funny!
Old 07/25/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Fliger- This light nonsense is too much. I would have sued those sons of *****es weeks ago.
Old 07/26/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Dudester- I have the 6' version of this fixture and the same problems as David. I asked for a replacement fixture after we had tried a couple different things to correct the problem and I was told Sfigiloi would not send me a new one. seems at some point someone would get a little nervous having all of this faulty equiptment running in peoples homes.

AO eventually ended up buying me 3-400w IC ballasts to switch out my HQI's. During switching ballasts I noticed my T-5 frames are bent pretty bad. To the point where it is hard to take the bulbs out and replace them. I knew the fixture was racked but did'nt dawn on me that this was what was going on. I asked AO if I could get replacement frames w/T-5 mogul sockets and wiring but have'nt heard back from them yet.

I'm sorry but I believe when you pay for something like this there is no way we should be expected to make this kind of repair. I saved money for a long time to get this fixture, you don't know how disapointing it is when you get it and have these kinds of issues.

David- Have you got your reconfigured transformer boxes?

Chad
Old 07/26/2007, 12:36 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
I'm sorry but I believe when you pay for something like this there is no way we should be expected to make this kind of repair. I saved money for a long time to get this fixture, you don't know how disapointing it is when you get it and have these kinds of issues.
WORD
Old 07/26/2007, 02:09 AM
Premium Member

You are the MAN!!!

Just when you think, I am remodeling my house and it sure would be nice to add a new light fixture to the tank and change things a little, and then you read this thread, this is outrageous!!!This is like purchasing a bubbleking and the red dragon pump goes out and RE says throw a sedra 9000 with an adpater kit on it until we figure what is wrong???, dude no WAY!!!, you have way more patience than I have, good luck. The geissmann fixture is looking a lot better for my modern renovation of the house!!!

That really bites