Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2006, 12:07 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkys
ever get one working ? kinda hard to attach the shaft to it. we didn't give it a lot of thought and time though. we decided to break off the top and then drill a 3/16 hole down the center of the plastic inside. glued a 50mm octura to the end and put it in the sink. think pushed a ridiculous amount of water . someday we will have to build a shroud for it .

Hey Snarkys. I played around a bit with the SP1800 and so far this thing is pretty good. It's a little stronger than a MJ1200 I think and could spin the Octura 1435 and 2035 just fine with some to spare. I tried the Dumas 3004 also and this thing moved some serious water. It also feels a bit quieter than the Maxijet as well. Only problem is like the AquaClear pumps, you have to help it out a little otherwise it likes to spin in reverse.

D.
Old 12/02/2006, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

I hate to judge on looks alone. But I will anyway...... The hydor pumps look as if they are a toy. They dont look durable. Nevertheless, I look fwd to them being available.
Old 12/02/2006, 02:21 AM
saltwater in my veins

How reliable are the MJ mods on a wavemaker?
Old 12/02/2006, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

Need some Help Here,
I got 4 MJ High Flow Mods for my 1200's.

I'm not having luck. Maybe someone can help me - I looked through the thread to see if I could find an answer but nothing yet.

Here we go
1. The directions on MJMODS seem to be wrong. Specifically when they say to cut the rigid airline tubing so 3.25" sticks out of the magnet. If you do that then the stabilizer rod doesn't fit.
So I cut the tubing doen to a little below the end of the rod so that it would have room to put the cap back on.
2. Once I got the Mod completed I was very excited and went to try it out in the sink. Much to my dismay it wouldn't seem to push any water. It did hower love pulling the water. Please note - I didn't put the stoper in yet. So I know that 50% of the time it will start in reverse. Even when It didn't start it reverse it would just kind of thrash until it entered reverse.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

The magnet/prop assebly does spin really well on the rod and the propeller appears to be on the right way (Flat side facing away from the mj)

HELP !!! I really want this to work. I did buy a Tunze Stream 6100 in addition to this project but without the Modified MJ's I'll probably have to buy 1-2 more. (Which I can't afford)

Thanks in advance!!!

Bob
Old 12/02/2006, 04:09 AM
Moved On

As always, if you include some pics of how you modded yours, we can help you much easier. Kinda hard to know what possible problems could be.

D.
Old 12/02/2006, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

I think this info maybe buried thru out this thread . I have an aquaclear mod that behaves very differently than the other mods i done and i just wanted to share. . The conical flow that is created is so wide on this one that it is not even a cone ... It shoots water out 360 degrees around the mod regardless of the direction it spins. So i have it hangin on the back of the tank with the shrouding pointing towards the sand bottom. But no sand every moves cos the water flows out the shroud of the mod. I also have the prop on backwards. The prop is only about 5/8" from the aquaclear, very close. So the water i believe is getting pushed against the aquaclear- body and then bounces out . I think this is better (well atleast for my tank) than the conical flow.
All the other mjmods i have done will pump water in a conical flow. The shroud is basically wide open. I have a nitro prop on it, I think it was a nitro, the blades have a heavy pitch. This type of mod would be ideal if one could hang it pointing down in the center or an aquarium.
I have mine in a 30 gallon tank and it shoots water to each 4 corners of the tank.
Old 12/02/2006, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1165061699
Old 12/02/2006, 11:05 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by rjrobert
1. The directions on MJMODS seem to be wrong. Specifically when they say to cut the rigid airline tubing so 3.25" sticks out of the magnet.
1) i think you misunderstood the directions . the whole thing is that length . this is the pic that is under the instructions.

2) in theory it should go each way 50% of the time . in reality most people need the stopper.
Old 12/02/2006, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Your right, I missread the picture. My Bad. That's what happens when you do it at 2am. I'm going to lower the stopper a bit since I don't think it was hitting it. I'll post if that doesn't work. tks!
Old 12/02/2006, 11:27 AM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
How reliable are the MJ mods on a wavemaker?
Anyone?
Old 12/02/2006, 12:32 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Anyone?
it depends on which prop you use and how well you build it, plus how often it gets cycled on/off. the octuras should last a good while, they are a bit harder plastic than the dumas, so they shouldn't wear as quickly.
Old 12/02/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

I bought the mod kit from maxijetmods.com. I built two of them using the method above. i.e. taking the impeller assembly apart and using the carbon fiber rod.

My question is this: The kit comes with a tiny washer but the instructions don't mention how it is used.

Anyone care to explain?
Old 12/02/2006, 02:14 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
it depends on which prop you use and how well you build it, plus how often it gets cycled on/off. the octuras should last a good while, they are a bit harder plastic than the dumas, so they shouldn't wear as quickly.
What would be your maximum acceptable time for switching them on/off, I was planning on the octuras and I am confident in my DIY ability.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12/02/2006, 02:44 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Herpervet
I bought the mod kit from maxijetmods.com. I built two of them using the method above. i.e. taking the impeller assembly apart and using the carbon fiber rod.

My question is this: The kit comes with a tiny washer but the instructions don't mention how it is used.

Anyone care to explain?
the washer go through the stainless steel or carbon fiber shaft and sits on the bottom as a buffer between the red/back end cap and the impeller magnet. This helps to cut down on friction.

D.
Old 12/02/2006, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

I assume the acrylic "T" shaped plate is used for some sort of mounting option and the thin part slides into the grooves of the maxijet.

But what is it supposed to accomplish? I can't figure it out. I guess my diy IQ is about 90.
Old 12/02/2006, 03:26 PM
Moved On

It's a vortex shield I think.
Old 12/02/2006, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Got the problems fixed - Amazing what happens when you follow the directions.

Only thing I would like to figure out is how to quiet the turbulance at the top of the water. The T Shield helped the Vortex and I can always lower the pump to reduce the water turbulance.
Old 12/02/2006, 04:37 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by rjrobert
Got the problems fixed - Amazing what happens when you follow the directions.

MAN LAW: When all else fails, remove instructions from trash & read them

I get a big chuckle from those commercials, and I'm pretty good at ignoring directions

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/02/2006, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

HBtank

I have two 1200s with the 1435 props on my 120.

I never shut them off.

For random flow, I have four other non moded maxijets on the Red sea wave maker.

The two mods are at each end of the tank and the non moded ones are mounted on the back.

This works very well for me .

HTH
Old 12/02/2006, 10:00 PM
I like the way you talk.

If anyone has any leftover centering caps for the 1 1/2" sch. 80, pm me please. I need a couple.TIA
Old 12/03/2006, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slug
I threw one of these together, an mj900 newer version, and not sure if it's right. This thing tries to spin backwards about every couple minutes and chatters away for a couple seconds before spinning the right way. I thought it would only try to spin the wrong way sometimes at start up?
you know I'm having the same problem. but only mine is on a mj1200. the thing is, I think that it may be because I have mine glued to the bigger mag float, maybe the magnetic field might be switching the prop assembly. I haven't figured out my problem yet.......
Old 12/03/2006, 01:58 PM
Magnetic Wall of SPS

Here's a video of my Maxi-Mod usind a Octura 1435 prop, 1/2" Nylon Screw and nut, 1 1/2 Schedule 40 Plug Spigot, 1 1/2" Test Cap. I used a 1/2 Nylon Washer as the thrust washer.. This is on a Maxi 1200 and the alternating current on my timer is awesome, and the spread is amazing, plus it is cheap and easy to make.

Jim's Mod

I am making another one this Monday, and with cut the PVC Plug in Half and make is more stream lined and sexy

Later,

Jim
Old 12/03/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank Jim, Are you the guy with corals stuck to the walls with magnets? How did u do that? I have the same mod pointing down. The flows are great. I like the shroud you did that focuses all the flow away from the wall.
Old 12/03/2006, 03:37 PM
Magnetic Wall of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Malifluous
Nice tank Jim, Are you the guy with corals stuck to the walls with magnets? How did u do that? I have the same mod pointing down. The flows are great. I like the shroud you did that focuses all the flow away from the wall.
I am attaching them with Frag-Mags by Aqua-mags.com.

Thanks! I'll post a pictorial of the construction of my "Better Jim's Mod" someitime Monday

Later,

Jim
Old 12/03/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Nice, I bought the 3 pak. Thanks for the info