Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2005, 11:50 PM
Explorer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Karl
With all this talk about stability vs. fluctuation got me thinking. My lights fluctuate. At nightime the're off. In the daytime the're on. Maybe I should leave them on all the time. You know, just one less variable to worry about.....
yeah makes sense, and while you are act it,

you wake up, go to sleep, take a nap, etc.. why not spend that time being productive and stop wasting time sleeping and leave that to us that like strict schedules

sam
Old 10/30/2005, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

My lights fluctuate. At nightime the're off. In the daytime the're on. Maybe I should leave them on all the time. You know, just one less variable to worry about.....

that reminds me that i need to shut off all the power heads, pumps and skimmer so my water can be as "stable" as possible. otherwise, it's just too much movement and fluctuation.
Old 10/31/2005, 12:47 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Karl
With all this talk about stability vs. fluctuation got me thinking. My lights fluctuate. At nightime the're off. In the daytime the're on. Maybe I should leave them on all the time. You know, just one less variable to worry about.....
Boy, that's a bad analogy. The problem is, there is scientific proof that animals need a day/night cycle. There is no scientific proof that stable water temperatures are bad for our tanks.
Old 10/31/2005, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Night 77F / Day 80F, no higher then 84F in the summer months.

Rich
Old 10/31/2005, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like most people have quite a swing and things remain normal.
Old 10/31/2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

79-81
Old 10/31/2005, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

46 gallon mixed reef: 75-81F over a 24 hour period

150 gallon SPS/clam reef: 79-82F over a 24 hour period

270 gallon mixed/aggressive reef: 80-85F over a 24 hour period

No Chillers on any of my tanks.

Use evaporative cooling and keep my house AC'd to 75F throughout the day/night and year.

No problems.
Old 10/31/2005, 06:59 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Gisho
46 gallon mixed reef: 75-81F over a 24 hour period

150 gallon SPS/clam reef: 79-82F over a 24 hour period

270 gallon mixed/aggressive reef: 80-85F over a 24 hour period

No Chillers on any of my tanks.

Use evaporative cooling and keep my house AC'd to 75F throughout the day/night and year.

No problems.
What qualifies as "no problems?" I'm not trying to pick on you, but I have to wonder what people mean when they say this. Do you mean you haven't had a single creature in your tank die? It seems like people mean "no total meltdown" when they say this. I'd be willing to bet the 150g (3 degree variation) is healthier than the 46g (6 degree variation).
Old 10/31/2005, 07:30 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
What qualifies as "no problems?" I'm not trying to pick on you, but I have to wonder what people mean when they say this. Do you mean you haven't had a single creature in your tank die? It seems like people mean "no total meltdown" when they say this.
No unexplained losses and things are growing well.

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet the 150g (3 degree variation) is healthier than the 46g (6 degree variation).
We understand that that's what you believe. You've said it numerous times. Why do you think that though? You've been shown evidence to the contrary, but haven't offered any to support your position.
Old 10/31/2005, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by finneganswake
What qualifies as "no problems?" I'm not trying to pick on you, but I have to wonder what people mean when they say this. Do you mean you haven't had a single creature in your tank die? It seems like people mean "no total meltdown" when they say this. I'd be willing to bet the 150g (3 degree variation) is healthier than the 46g (6 degree variation).
Hi finneganswake.

No worries. I don't take it that you are trying to pick on me. I responded to the thread subject and original poster simply by stating my experience(s) and I don't feel a need to defend myself. I really don't want to get in, or be dragged into this argument. Like they say, "arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics". (sorry, that's not p.c.)

Anyway, I digress. By "no problems" what I mean is that my fish, corals, and inverts are healthy, growing, eating, etc. etc. I have several fish that spawn regularly. I frag my corals regularly. No unexplained losses like greenbean stated. By these criteria I mean "no problems". So no, I don't mean "no total meltdown".

Have I ever lost a fish or coral? Of course. I don't know of any aquarist, regardless of skill level who has not. (Just recently I suspect my large, no HUGE yellow brittlestar ate my $180 mystery wrasse ) That being said though, I honestly can't attribute any particular loss to temperature variation.

You mention the health difference between my 46 gallon vs. my 150 gallon. My 46 has been up and running for about two years now. The temperature swing it experiences to this day is the same since day one. In it, I have a RBTA (under PC lighting!) that has split three or four times. It's clone(s) have split a few times as well and I have moved them to my other tanks as well as given some to friends. In it, I have a crocea (under PC lighting!) that has thrived for almost as long as the tank has been running.

I have only lost two fish in that tank. A purple firefish that I am fairly certain died due to stress/competition from it's tankmates (as every firefish I have ever had seems to eventually succumb to)
and a yellow diamond goby that jumped to his/her death. Again, very common and not directly attributable to temp variation. I have four fish in there that have pretty much been in there since day one that are healthy and growing. A mean maroon clown, false perc, a 6-line wrasse and a kole tang. Not once a breakout of ich or any other disease.

As far as corals go, I lost a flowerpot (my bad for buying/attempting) and an elegance (again, my bad for buying...dismal survival rates in general). Besides those two coral losses though, I have a spaghetti finger leather that is just huge and I have fragged several times, ricordia's, LPS's, softies, etc. that are doing great.

The 150 is recently set up. About 2 months old now.
In it, I have only SPS, clams, and a couple open brains and coco worms (and fish of course). I lost my mystery wrasse, as mentioned above, from predation from the huge brittle star that is in there and I lost 5 of my original 10 chromis that were in since the beginning. Those always seem to go missing one-by-one over time IME.

So basically, no, I can't say that my 46 gallon is any less healthy than my 150. Now, I do keep SPS in my 150 and I don't know if they would be more sensitive to temperature swings. But in all honesty, I really don't think that they would be.

When I first started this hobby I was extremely watchful of my temperature and I still am. But nowadays, with a few years under my belt, I am not nearly as concerned about a few degrees swing.

That being said, I don't think that a constant/consistent temperature is harmful. I think that is taking it too far to the other extreme.

There are too many beautiful tanks with fantastic livestock health that have only a 1 or 2 degree variation (some even less) for me to believe that.

The only reason I listed everything and went on and on in detail is because I think that is the "proof in the pudding".

I think to sum it up, and after reading this whole thread and agruments from both sides, it is this:

1. Try to keep your daily temperature variation to a minimum.
2. If you can't, or you don't want/need/can't afford to use chillers or heaters (I use not a one of either on any of my tanks BTW), it is not the end of the world if your tank's temperature swings within a reasonable range throughout the day. In my opinion anything MORE than a 7-8 degree F swing within 24 hours would stress the livestock. Again, it is not so much the amount of the swing, but the time over which it occurs.

Pretty simple.

I respect everyone's opinion/experience and that is just my .02 cents....well, more like 2 dollars because I droned on and on

Take care folks.

Last edited by Gisho; 10/31/2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10/31/2005, 10:27 PM
Call Me Ishmael...

125g Tank, 3x150W HQI, 4x96W PC @ 10" above water, Tunze 6000 x2

Summer (Texas):
A/C in house @ 78
Tank: 78-79.8

Winter:
A/C @ 77, Heat @ 71
Tank: 73-78 (the full 5 deg range over 24h only occurs when a big cold front blows thru)

No Heater - No Chiller. Though, I do have a couple of Finnex Titanium heaters ready this year as I want to keep the low around 75-76 deg.

Dwain
Old 11/02/2005, 12:35 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Hi finneganswake.

No worries. I don't take it that you are trying to pick on me. I responded to the thread subject and original poster simply by stating my experience(s) and I don't feel a need to defend myself. I really don't want to get in, or be dragged into this argument. Like they say, "arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics". (sorry, that's not p.c.)

Dude, the fact that you're not p.c. is a plus. I've wanted to ask a few people here and there on this site if they ride the short bus to school
Old 11/02/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Dude, the fact that you're not p.c. is a plus. I've wanted to ask a few people here and there on this site if they ride the short bus to school

Well Finneganswake, I saw that you occupation is "village idiot", so I didn't want to personally offend you!

I see that you live in Los Angeles. Maybe we can join forces and be the "Southern California Region Village Idiots"?

ps. your signature "the only barebottom I want to see is during a lapdance" is hilarious!

*and no, I am not anti-barebottom so don't jump on me! *
Old 11/02/2005, 03:38 PM
Moved On

Quote:
[BI see that you live in Los Angeles. Maybe we can join forces and be the "Southern California Region Village Idiots"?[/B]
Hey, are you trying to steal my job? There is only room for one village idiot

They may be hiring for the village stooge, however. Unfortunately, there's a LOT of competition in Los Angeles.
Old 11/02/2005, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

ok, then you have sole ownership of that title!

Yeah, LA is full of idiots. Case in point, I went to the U2 concert at Staples with my fiance last night and the cops were already dragging a beligerent drunk fan out past us on the sidewalk as we were walking in. Idiot couldn't even wait to get hammered before the band came out!

Everyone was laughing at him 'cause he didn't even get a chance to see U2 and wasted his ticket.
Old 11/02/2005, 04:23 PM
Moved On

Quote:
ok, then you have sole ownership of that title!

Yeah, LA is full of idiots. Case in point, I went to the U2 concert at Staples with my fiance last night and the cops were already dragging a beligerent drunk fan out past us on the sidewalk as we were walking in. Idiot couldn't even wait to get hammered before the band came out!

Everyone was laughing at him 'cause he didn't even get a chance to see U2 and wasted his ticket.
Aw, come on... U2 are Irish, after all
Old 11/02/2005, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

78-81

still managing with just a fan as Wilma left me without electricity - have to turn off one mh automatically to be able to maintain not having ac, etc

otherwise chiller comes on a couple of times a day - goal is too not have chiller needed with better placed fans which can be difficult in s. flor.

my fish and corals love the temp spread.

this past summer I dove the Bahamas for a week and my computer registered 74 temp lowest to 91 highest.

average range on days where radical thermoclines were not found was 84-89
Old 11/02/2005, 04:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
this past summer I dove the Bahamas for a week and my computer registered 74 temp lowest to 91 highest.
Is that spread over one day? If so, how far down did you go?
Old 11/02/2005, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Aw, come on... U2 are Irish, after all
True, true. And the Irish love their pubs.

Finnegan, now that's a Scottish or Irish name isn't it?

The coldest water I ever SUBA dived in was a lake in Scotland.

Last edited by Gisho; 11/02/2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11/02/2005, 05:15 PM
Moved On

Quote:
True, true. And the Irish love their pubs.

Finnegan, now that's a Scottish or Irish name isn't it?

The coldest water I even SUBA dived in was a lake in Scotland.
Finnegans Wake is a book by Irish author James Joyce. Most people end up burning it in frustration, given that it's written in over 80 languages, but I find it a blast. Most Joyce reading groups take place in pubs.
Old 11/02/2005, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Ah, interesting. I'd check it out, but I am already losing enough hair due to work-related stress.
Old 11/03/2005, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

that low temp was an intense thermocline at 45 feet on a blue hole wall filled with corals - the thermoclines move up and down with currents

the average spread was expereinced on numerous dives - the lows yet again being thermoclines which may start at 30 feet and it gets warmer again lower - again they move around like a cloud

Quote:
Is that spread over one day? If so, how far down did you go?
Old 11/03/2005, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

82.1 to 82.4
Old 11/03/2005, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

About 2F temp difference.