Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Oh, I ordered the uniseals today too.. only I didn't get 1 1/4", so if 1" isn't big enough (I think it'd be plenty) I'll just add another 1" return right next to the current one to handle the flow. But I'd imagine that 1" is more than enough to handle 1/2" inlet. I wonder what I should use for the feed pump now.. the Resun?

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/18/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

I don't think that make much difference.. possibly angling the plate like the bakpak's, however, like Luke said, the chamber's so tall that micros shouldn't even make it that far down.

Old 12/18/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Nah 1 returns enough if you noticed I edited your design with a extra baffle on the bottom so the water goes to the left than the right. I don't think there be any problems. Now thats totally the same design as luke but with a extra chamber.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah it shouldn't matter so forget that.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I saw your paint editing . It took me 2 weeks to learn how to use Sketchup right, and I still don't know how to do pipes right, like T's and L's.

Old 12/18/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I say take the mesh modded resun you have out of the octopus and throw it on this. That way you won't have to mess with the other nice pump. I wonder what would luke think about this. Since you are considering on the QO2200 or the odyssea pump for reciric. Would using a QO1200 be a wise choice? since he did tell me its the best pump thats able to draw the most air in for its size if you plan to use it as another soure of air for the skimmer. Or you could try that QO 800, 220gph. I haven't seen one at my petsmart. Would be interesting.

Edit
I have the QO 1200 and I stuck one layer of mesh on it before, and it didn't have start up problems.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

My petsmart has the 1200, but I don't think I saw the 800. He said that the 1200's have bad start up problems when modded. So I don't know..plus their outlet is on the fat side not the skinny side of that pump and I don't think it'll fit in my pre-skimmer box that way. I guess I don't know if the Resun will even fit. It's bigger than the remora box which fits a MJ1200, but I'd like something w/ a little more mod-a-bility.

Old 12/18/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

You could always use a mj and modify its whole bottom volute and outlet area like hahns pimp my AC. I'm sure you'll get good air draw from a mj if you did something like that. Hmm odd mine never had start up problems.. But I'll stick with the resun for now, gotta save money.

Aquaclear pumps are another choice for feeder pump. The impeller sits perfectly centered since the rod is glued down in the center and it does not rely on the volute cap to center it unlike the mjs and resuns. So easy mod to make it have a bigger volute and outlet.

I'd probaly use a AC 50 to match the resun.

Last edited by happyface888; 12/18/2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Where's that thread at? Every time I do a search for pimp pump (can't use less that 3 letters) I don't see any thread titles called that or pimp ac

Old 12/18/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
I go to home than I find the RC search tool. Its harder to locate stuff with this method but it works
Old 12/18/2007, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

nevermind, I finally smartened up and used google to find it

Old 12/18/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

This might be a good pump for the recric if you don't want to go with the odyssea or the QO.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Yeah.. don't know.. Luke said that I should use a 200gph pump, those AC's that were used were 400gph. What I think I'll do is check and see if I can get the Resun in the skimmer box, and if it fits, I'll use that for starters and see what results I get w/ that and the QO2200.

Old 12/18/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Yeah thats true but it was entertaining to see a small pump pull so much air. I wonder would it be possible to mod a smaller version of the AC's and use it as a feeder pump? I believe the resun will fit. So what does luke think about the the quick revise with the extra chamber? So far it seems pretty solid to me, taking his design with his dimensions and just adding a extra chamber next to it. That wouldn't hurt.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey Danny did you find the weld on stuff? if not heres the link
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=21&
Old 12/19/2007, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Yeah I found it and it's on its way. I ended up ordering stuff from 3 different sites the other day. the 12" sections of 3" & 4" tubing from estreetplastics.com, the sheets from insterstateplastics.com, and the weld-on I think is coming from rlplastics.com. Then the uniseals are coming from aussieglobal.com. It ended up being WAY cheaper to go through those guys as a distributor instead of premium aquatics, not because the parts are expensive ($1.50-$1.75 for the ones I wanted), but because of shipping. Something that small should just be able to be put in an envelope and shipped for cheap, aussieglobal.com charged me $5, very reasonable. Premium aquatics was going to charge me $12-15 for it. I'm sure they just have a base charge and all, but why pay it? They'll get it from me one of these days I order stuff from them all the time.

Old 12/19/2007, 10:06 AM
One Good Friend

So whats the final sketch you are planning to build. And yea uniseal's should be cheap to get shipped. They cost 7bux for me and i live in Indy were pa is! lol but to drive 45min there and back its pry cheaper to get it shipped.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I'd like to do this one if pressure's not going to be an issue w/ pulling air:

I just feel more comfortable w/ the pump being in the skimmer where it won't leak. And I may add a small angled baffle like a bakpak at the bottom of the reaction chamber just to catch a few more micros IF there are any. How high up would you say to put the recirc pump? Does it matter? I was thinking about putting the outlet right around mid way down from the outlet pipe from the skimmer since that's where the water level will more than likely be unless I adjust it w/ the gate valve.

Old 12/19/2007, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Also, after I buy the QO2200, I'll probably adjust the reaction chamber to make it as big as I can and still be able to get my hands in both chambers.. so instead of the reaction chamber being 5x5 w/ a 2.75" ID neck, I will probably go the 5x7 w/ the 3.75 ID neck instead, and make the return chamber 5x5ish... sounds like it's better to have a bigger neck right?

Old 12/19/2007, 01:24 PM
One Good Friend

The neck is dependent on the air flow. 3.75 is going to work just fine. I would lower the recirc pump were its pulling water from the bottom and pumping it back much lower than it is now. That will be more of a recirc as its recycling the water more that way. And you'll have a much longer reaction time as well. So your feed pump pump's water in about half way down on the left side and the water output is on the right side?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, so far. Obviously that part can be adjusted until after I build the box and put it to the back of my tank and make sure I know where the pipes will clear. Then i'll raise the outlet pipe like 1.5-2" from there to give more adjustment to the collection cup.

The recirc pump's inlet is on the return chamber side, so it should be pulling semi-clean water already, unless it makes more sense to put the inlet into the reaction chamber side. So for the placement of the outlet of the recirc, would about 1/4 from the bottom be too low?

Old 12/19/2007, 01:55 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Ive been asked by a couple people now to come over and look at this thread for some reason. Are there any direct questions or something?
Old 12/19/2007, 02:28 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

not from me particularly, just thought you might share your opinions on design, as i know you have made a few mesh wheel recirc hob's in your day.
i'll bet others have some questions for you though...
Old 12/19/2007, 03:24 PM
One Good Friend

D, i was basically sayin to lower the pump where the input of the pump was right below the baffle. Leave it the same as it is, just lower it like that. This way you will use the whole reaction chamber instead of 1/3of it.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Won't lowering the pump that low make it easier for micros to escape throught the bottom? Or should I hook it up w/ a T so that the flow is dispersed and I don't have to worry about it?

is this what you're talking about