Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I love to see those sweet tools just laying around on the floor!
I'm to short to do this on the bench, rough on the knees. The tools in the back ground are just carpentry stuff, nail guns miter saw, skill saws that sort of stuff. I just throw it all in a pile in the corner. I'm remodeling my house so it all dragged back and forth from the shop to the house. I'm to lazy to put it all away each time knowing I'll have to do it agian tomarrow.

Don
Old 09/18/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

This is crazy you are making people look bad there are Aquarium companies who charge big bucks out there and you are making them look like fools charging high prices for plywood stands how dare you......... HOW DARE YOU!!!!

LOL
Old 09/18/2007, 02:26 PM

Yeah I am just teasing you Don. If you saw my shop, you would vomit. But I do liek your choice of tools.

I have to get a trim router for a store project. I will need to trim laminate on MDF, and I think my regular router is just too much for that job. What would you recommend?
Old 09/18/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I am just teasing you Don. If you saw my shop, you would vomit. But I do liek your choice of tools.

I have to get a trim router for a store project. I will need to trim laminate on MDF, and I think my regular router is just too much for that job. What would you recommend?
I'm a router junky and have way to many routers. That little trim router on the floor is a ridgid. Its been a good tool all of mine are doing fine. They are VS which is real nice when you can slow the bit way down. Great of course for edge trimming, but they handle a 1/4 spiral bit real nice. I also have one in my cnc that has no problem running for a hour or two straight without complaining or getting hot.
I also have a couple old pc's but havent used them since I started collecting the ridgids.

Don
Old 09/18/2007, 05:28 PM

OK, so Ridgid? I figured that was your "throw-away" router...I never would have guessed that they would be good quality. Thanks for the input!
Old 09/18/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Those are first ones Ive ever tried that arent PC. I just liked the VS and they turned out to be a good tool. Ive got a pc for every router bit.

Don
Old 09/18/2007, 05:40 PM

Well, VS is the only way to go IMO. But I do have a whatchmacallit that dials down AC current that I use with my grinder a lot...
Old 09/18/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Rigid now has a lifetime warranty on there bigger stuff. They rock. and just as cool if not cooler then the yellow..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/19/2007, 12:32 AM

I don't buy the yellow. Got bit by that snake one too many times!
Old 09/19/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

My yellow tools are a last resort or something that I can just work until it dies and not care about it either way. So far they've been gifts, I haven't acquired any on purpose . My picks are Bosch, PC, and Milwaukee.
Old 09/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

i've always had good results with DW....but most of my stuff was bought before they were bought out by Black and Decker...

Their new Li Ion stuff is really nice though (if you have unlimited funds). My company works with the manufacturer of their batteries and they have a great new technology using phosphates... A123 if you're interested
Old 09/19/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Dewalt used to be a good contractor grade, but since they moved to the consumer market they like bosch, makita, MW and a few other have gone down hill. I say use what works and what youve had good luck with. We all have had different experiences with different tool makers. I love PC and some folks hate them.

My new found love is FesTool and I'll be completely retooling over time with their tools.
I already have two of their saws and youd be hard pressed to find anything that even comes close.

Don
Old 09/19/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

That's funny, I was just looking at some of their stuff in a new Rockler catalog last night. It does look pretty nice.
Old 09/19/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woz9683
That's funny, I was just looking at some of their stuff in a new Rockler catalog last night. It does look pretty nice.
Find a local dealer. Ask to demo one of the saws and a router. For giggles demo it with mdf and the dust collector.
I guarantee you will be very impressed and wont have any sawdust on you. The ramping motors are so cool unlike any other tool youve ever used.
I sold my huge panel saw in exchange for the two models of circular saws. A ten year old can square up a 8f sheet of plywood with 0 tearout.

Don
Old 09/19/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

But can a ten year old afford one ?
Old 09/19/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Well KRAP!! Ive had my light running three days now. All I can say is Hello lights DE retrofit reflectors are garbage. They make two beams of light with a dark spot right in the middle and their only 18". The light has to be 24" high above the water so that the dark spot isnt visible in the water. What a joke they have about 12" of spread and their 11" long. My old garbage pfo's with wore out bulbs work better.

Don
Old 09/19/2007, 08:59 PM

bummer. the only DIY retro-fit I have done is my 4' NO's with Ice Cap end caps and over driven by an Ice Cap 660. Works great but I think th eparts were a bit more expensive than Hello Lights.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
bummer. the only DIY retro-fit I have done is my 4' NO's with Ice Cap end caps and over driven by an Ice Cap 660. Works great but I think th eparts were a bit more expensive than Hello Lights.
I should have done more research. Heck I should have just mounted de sockets in my big gigas shell halves. That was my first idea but I didnt think It would work so I went with the hello lights.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:09 PM

You know Custom Aquatic has a really nice selection of DIY lighting stuff at great prices. You can also check out Property Room. That's where I got my Diamond reflectors for like $40...
Old 09/19/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

again, i've use hello lights DIY DE reflectors and i think they're great. To each his own i guess Good luck finding some replacements
Old 09/19/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

There reflectors look cheap. I would have figured you would have made your own. There is a bunch of diy out there.

I forgot that site J. I never booked it when you posted it on another thread way back. I am marking it now.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/20/2007, 01:14 AM

yeah, it's hit & miss, but there is good stuff sometimes. I oftened wondered about all the bicycles and then an ATF guy told me that is because of all the drug runners using bikes to make their deliveries.
Old 09/20/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
There reflectors look cheap. I would have figured you would have made your own. There is a bunch of diy out there.
They are about as good as the average diy. We hung one next to a luminarc, dont know what model 14" black one. The difference was ammazing. Ive got alot of work into the light so need to make up my mind wether of not to scrap it or just deal with it. Its still a reef tank irregardless of how fancy the stand is and I want it to look good uner the water also. The tank is only going to be 14" deep so it doesnt need alot. They may be fine lifted up high, lighting is something I never took the time to learn about.

Don
Old 09/20/2007, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Reflectors make all the difference in the world. A good 150W bulb and proper reflecotr can easily outperform a 400W bulb and a crappy reflector

Do you know anybody with an apogee par meter? You could get some readings and see where you are at.
Old 09/20/2007, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Luminarc reflectors are probably one of the best out there now. If you can possibly fit them, either the full size or the mini's you would be better off. We checked the par between some of the popular reflectors we were using vs. the luminarc and the difference was amazing, the par was about 6-7 times the difference.