Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2005, 09:51 PM
10 & Over Club

I think he's talking about wet skimming J-man. LOL
Old 06/29/2005, 09:57 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
I think he's talking about wet skimming J-man. LOL
I hope so... But he mentions skimming in the same sentence, almost as if he's talking about two different processes. The sentence reads like he thinks the orthophosphate is turned into a gas and released into the atmosphere when bubbles burst.
Old 06/29/2005, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

The orthophosphate becomes absorbed onto and air bubble, and when the bubble pops, the phosphate is aeresoled into the atmosphere. I'm certain it happens, but I doubt it happens fast enough to do much of anything. It might though. The only way to know for sure is to start setting up tanks, and get some funny P isotopes to label phosphate

Best,

Chris

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 06/29/2005, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

When you start getting really small particles, most of the physical laws that we think of for normal sized objects go out the window. Suddenly all sorts of other forces matter.

Chris

Old 06/29/2005, 10:15 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster
The orthophosphate becomes absorbed onto and air bubble, and when the bubble pops, the phosphate is aeresoled into the atmosphere. I'm certain it happens, but I doubt it happens fast enough to do much of anything. It might though. The only way to know for sure is to start setting up tanks, and get some funny P isotopes to label phosphate

Best,

Chris
I know… We can call it BubbleVit. A new and revolutionary way to remove phosphate from your reef tank. It uses special bubbles, generated by a very special bubble maker. These bubbles have very unique characteristics, which allow them to turn orthophosphate into a gas. No need to worry about messy iron-based phosphate removers anymore. Turn the BubbleVit Bubble Maker on, and phosphate simply bubbles away!
Old 06/30/2005, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMC
First I am chilled however I do take exception to those who feel free to citicize the work of great men like Adey while hiding behide a pretend persona.
who is hiding? who cares who he is, let his ideas stand on their own merits. Who are you?

Toonens article compared plenum and coarse sand to fine sand. thats it. in order to maintain controls he had to sterilize the sand before the bacterial innoculation of the systems. thus no in-fauna, thus not a real sand bed., his results can't be used to say DSB's are better than starboard in the long run, because he only ran then for a short period, and they weren't DSB's as most people use the term.

Further, I think the discussion here has moved from denitrification to phosphate, as phosphate is the limiting factor in most algal blooms. Toonen's article didn't really discuss phosphate, except to say it was there in all the sandbed systems, and that fine sand systems had less phosphate than coarse sand.

which is consistent with the adsorption mechanism described in the NOAA papers. Fine sand has a larger surface area, and will adsorb more phosphate.

You'll notice Mitch, I didn't use any large text or bright colors here, I didn't need to, neither should you.
accusing someone of libel.... now that s serious. back it up if you can.

Last edited by Surf; 06/30/2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06/30/2005, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

I ll take one of the bubble units how much?

can I place them in sump or do i need to plumb it in

Which horse are we floggin now DSB's or the association to DSB's and phosphate. I get so confused when people use big words.

Jim
Old 06/30/2005, 08:21 PM
DIY Reef Guy

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Bomber, MitchMc thanks for the info. It all comes down to dealing with the production of by products in the enclosed marine system.
There are hundreds of filtration combinations and methods to deal with by-products, I will say one thing......................

We all have a pretty good understanding of how it all works!!!!!!

CaptiveReef
Old 06/30/2005, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Weatherman,

We aren't talking gases here, but particulates. As I said though, I doubt it actually is a major mechanism for export (or even a minor one)

Chris

Old 07/01/2005, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Re: Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptiveReef
[B]We all have a pretty good understanding of how it all works!!!!!!
/B]
Reminds me of a quote I heard the other day: If you think you understand it, then it hasn't been explained to you properly.
Old 07/01/2005, 04:22 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster
Weatherman,

We aren't talking gases here, but particulates. As I said though, I doubt it actually is a major mechanism for export (or even a minor one)

Chris
Yes. I agree...

Just having a little fun with it.