Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

HAHA Ohio State vs LSU. Dorsey is gonna break those kids in half. And a week before Florida is going to put a whooping on Michigan. Oh what a sweet conclusion to a great season. And how about Georgia vs Hawaii? Does anyone care to bet against the SEC?
Old 12/03/2007, 01:29 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Yeah, where they aren't put in against an inferior team. Florida and Georgia got gifts. LSU will have a game on their hands.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

LSU never blows out anybody though. Its just not their style. THey have a grind it out team. solid ground game, solid D, with a mediocre passing attack.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:27 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
LSU never blows out anybody though. Its just not their style. THey have a grind it out team. solid ground game, solid D, with a mediocre passing attack.
Wait a second, what was the score with Virginia Tech and LSU my friend?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/03/2007, 12:33 PM
Here comes the Gators

I don't think LSU is going to smash OSU like FLA did last year but LSU WILL win. Ohio State is young and many of their starters are not familiar in this type of setup. Not to mention, the NC game will practically be like a home game for LSU. LSU 35-24.

I can't believe FLA is playing UM this year. They played a decent team OSU last year and they got destroyed. Can only imagine what is going to happen to Michigan. I think Tebow will have 8 touchdowns.

For all those that said Illinois is better than UGA I got some advice for you. Put the bong down and open up the windows. Illinois doesn't have a chance against USC. UGA on the otherhand would make a very good game if not beat the Trojans. For you Big 10 fans that think UGA isn't that great seriously you guys are juts ignorant. I feel sorry for Hawaii not only when they play UGA but when they play their first game of the year against FLA in the swamp.

I think Arkansas will give Mizz. a good matchup. It will be interesting to see what McFadden will do.

Tennessee is going to beat Wisky.

Kentucky over FLA St.

Oklahoma will beat West Virginia

VT will beat Kansas

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/03/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

I bet Blurugs head exploded when GA didn't get in the NC game lol

oh well I think its a shame butI agree LoSerU is likly the better team of the 2.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/03/2007, 12:48 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg
Hmmm, gotta wonder where your information is coming from...

We played 12 games, 7 teams have winning records.

2 with 9 wins, 2 with 8 wins and 3 with 7 wins.

Ok! However when they played those teams early in the saeson those teams SUCKED early on and had a losing record and they never played a real current season powerhouse.
They still never played anyone ranked higher than 21...and they had the "60th" toughest schedule in college FB.

Over Rated...Over Ranked...
Old 12/03/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Wait a second, what was the score with Virginia Tech and LSU my friend?
1. That was uncharacteristic of both LSU and VT.

2. Look at the rest of LSU's games against decent opponents. All close.

3. VT was playing horribly at the beginning of the season. I dont know why. They barely beat East Carolina the previous week.

But whatever, my point is that even if LSU is demonstrably better than OSU, which they may not be, they probably wont beat them into the ground the way that UF did last year. THis will hold true even though OSU's team is not as good as last year's team.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Mutt, I have got to disagree with you about the Kentucky FSU game. I am not garaunteeing an FSU win or anything, but I do think that it will be a good game and not a gimme. FSU tends to step it up on occasion. they did throttle BC in BC in cold weather when BC was ranked #2. I think that alone buttresses the argument that FSU will not definately lose to Kentucky at a neutral site.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:43 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

Quote:

3. VT was playing horribly at the beginning of the season. I dont know why. They barely beat East Carolina the previous week.
VT came into the season with allot of high expectations...and allot of nervous players due to the enormous amount of pressure placed on them to succeed following the April events. (i wouldn't expect anyone else to understand this that wasn't there when it happened)

also, VT had a ridiculous amount of injuries during summer camp. it turned our offensive line into swiss cheese, and resulted in players playing positions they have never played in before. VT always falls back on its running game to score points....and with an injured starting running back and pair that up with a cocky, immobile QB who single handedly blew the bowl game versus UGA .....and an offensive coordinator who is extremely predictable......every hokie knew that the LSU game was going to be a nightmare after we saw the first quarter vs. ECU.

pulling the starting QB gave him a real kick in the butt to put up or shut up, and the LSU loss IMO was good for the VT team as it slapped them upside the head to wake up and get real....and since we have got pretty much our entire team healthy and hitting on all cylinders...which is drastically different than how the beat up LSU squad has looked the past couple of weeks.

both LSU and VT teams are drastically different now than they were in early September.

if there was one thing LSU did right all season, it was running up the score on VT in the 4th quarter, w/ the offensive starters still in the game (Something that Beamer would never do when up by 27pts....but that must be how they play football in the SEC). that obviously helped LSU in the final human polls.

the game was a complete fluke IMO, and was not indicative of how either team played the rest of the season.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/03/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
VT came into the season with allot of high expectations...and allot of nervous players due to the enormous amount of pressure placed on them to succeed following the April events. (i wouldn't expect anyone else to understand this that wasn't there when it happened)

also, VT had a ridiculous amount of injuries during summer camp. it turned our offensive line into swiss cheese, and resulted in players playing positions they have never played in before. VT always falls back on its running game to score points....and with an injured starting running back and pair that up with a cocky, immobile QB who single handedly blew the bowl game versus UGA .....and an offensive coordinator who is extremely predictable......every hokie knew that the LSU game was going to be a nightmare after we saw the first quarter vs. ECU.

pulling the starting QB gave him a real kick in the butt to put up or shut up, and the LSU loss IMO was good for the VT team as it slapped them upside the head to wake up and get real....and since we have got pretty much our entire team healthy and hitting on all cylinders...which is drastically different than how the beat up LSU squad has looked the past couple of weeks.

both LSU and VT teams are drastically different now than they were in early September.

if there was one thing LSU did right all season, it was running up the score on VT in the 4th quarter, w/ the offensive starters still in the game (Something that Beamer would never do when up by 27pts....but that must be how they play football in the SEC). that obviously helped LSU in the final human polls.

the game was a complete fluke IMO, and was not indicative of how either team played the rest of the season.
There you have it folks
Old 12/03/2007, 03:04 PM

LSU will run the score up if the situation allows it. Look at the Miss State, Va and La Tech scores. Go back and look over the last couple years. Fact is they aren't good enough to throw a spanking on a good team, period. Va Tech and Miss State were obviously flukes. After beating Carolina (who I think we all can agree was not a very good team this year after all) by 12 points they havent had a convincing win against anyone but the door mats.

They had to come from behind with multiple 4th down gambles to beat Florida, They had Kentucky down 27-14 and couldn't seal the deal, They had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat Auburn and Alabama, and Lost to Arkansas. They didn't beat any conference opponent other than Miss State, Ole Miss and Carolina by more than a touchdown. It is a sign of a good team when they can come from behind for the win BUT when you have to play from behind in a majority of your games it just means your not good enough to put teams away. And remember they were losing to Tennessee in the 4th and won it by scoring on an interception at Tennessee's 18 yard line.

Oct. 6, 2007 Florida W 28-24
Oct. 13, 2007 at Kentucky L 43-37
Oct. 20, 2007 Auburn 30-24
Nov. 3, 2007 at Alabama W 41-34
Nov. 10, 2007 Louisiana Tech W 58-10
Nov. 17, 2007 at Ole Miss W 41-24
Nov. 23, 2007 Arkansas L 50-48
Dec. 1, 2007 Tennessee W 21-14

If LSU and OSU met in a neutral field I would put my money on OSU. I think playing in LSU's house will rattle OSU's players. If they can handle that they can win.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

yeah, it is crazy, but LSU was actually really, really, close to losing 5 or 6 games this year. I am not so sure that OSU cant beat them.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:14 PM

Bowl upset prediction

Hawaii over Georgia

DON'T FLAME ME YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgia has got to feel like they were kicked in the teeth. With the offense Hawaii has if Georgia comes out flat they could be down 4 touchdowns before they know what hit them. No, I don't think Hawaii is anywhere near as good a team, thats why they call it an upset.

Of course the Dawgs could come out mad at the world, plant Breenan 2 feet into the turf on the first play and go on to win by 70 DAMN DAMN DAMN why didn't they get to play USC
Old 12/03/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

I think good defense will prevail over Hawaii. I wouldn't be surprised if Brennan throws 3 INT's and they get smoked. Although, I am intrigued to see just how good this offense is. UGA has the defense to test them. Should be fun to watch.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:54 PM

I think if Georgia is up for the game there aint gonna be no game, I just got a feeling. Besides you should be worried about what Kansas is gonna do to your team
Old 12/03/2007, 04:09 PM

if LSU can get every single player healthy again, like they had in late august and early september.......i think OSU will get stomped on. b/c that LSU squad that faced VT and Miss State was just plain scary, they were big...and very fast. couple that with some Les Miles trickeration...OSU could have a long night since fast teams give them fits.

if LSU can't get healthy in a month.....then i can see a very close game, possibly giving LSU the edge in over time thanks to essentially a home field advantage.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/03/2007, 04:37 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Mutt, I have got to disagree with you about the Kentucky FSU game. I am not garaunteeing an FSU win or anything, but I do think that it will be a good game and not a gimme. FSU tends to step it up on occasion. they did throttle BC in BC in cold weather when BC was ranked #2. I think that alone buttresses the argument that FSU will not definately lose to Kentucky at a neutral site.

I think Florida-FSU and Florida-Kentucky are far better comparisons. Bowden is a terrific coach and I have great respect for him, but he just doesn't have the talent.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:39 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Bowl upset prediction

Hawaii over Georgia

DON'T FLAME ME YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgia has got to feel like they were kicked in the teeth. With the offense Hawaii has if Georgia comes out flat they could be down 4 touchdowns before they know what hit them. No, I don't think Hawaii is anywhere near as good a team, thats why they call it an upset.

Of course the Dawgs could come out mad at the world, plant Breenan 2 feet into the turf on the first play and go on to win by 70 DAMN DAMN DAMN why didn't they get to play USC

They're playing on the east coast. Jet lag is going to be against Hawaii and I certainly don't see Georgia as coming into the game dragging butt. They will want to make a statement about how good they are.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:50 PM
Always a Buckeye

Teams usually arrive a week or more before their bowl game. I highly doubt jet lag factors into the equation.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye ME
Teams usually arrive a week or more before their bowl game. I highly doubt jet lag factors into the equation.
agreed....now, possibly being too hung over on multiple nights in their first ever trip to bourbon street.....that could be a factor.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/03/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
cocky, immobile QB who single handedly blew the bowl game versus UGA
Ahhh another Sean Glennon hater...expected more out of you Alex Go look at his stats though he is ranked as the 21st best QB based on QB rating (I know many will say its an irrelevant statistic but is the most objective at the same time then something like TD's when we know we arent a pass first team by any stretch of the imagination). Yes I agree benching him at LSU did wake him up but I still personally feel that Glennon gives us the best chance to win, Tyrod will be a stud but he needs time to mature still.

Regardless, we dont deserve to be in the National Championship game no matter how you slice it, yes we had a strong SOS, yes we ended up beating 3 teams in the top 20, but we never should have lost by 41 plain and simple I dont care how injured we are.

I dont blame the polls for jumping LSU ahead of us (scratch my head on the logic for USC - I think I would rather get blown out by LSU on the road then lose to Standford at home) its hard to look past the beating we took from LSU. Are we a different team now? Absolutely! Could we beat LSU now? I really dont know but I know we wouldnt loose by 41.

I was chompin at the bit thinking we had a chance to back door ourself into the NC game but the more I thought about it the more it made sense to put an Oklahoma or LSU in there. The computers love us because they dont take that 41 point deficit into their calculation it looks just like a 1 point loss therefore we come out smelling like roses loosing to two teams in the top 15 as opposed to LSU.

Totally changing topics now the whole FSU/Kentucky game I dont see how some people can just be nodding off and saying that Kentucky rolls easy. I saw Kentucky play when they played USC on Thursday night and wasnt horribly impressed by any stretch of the imagination and there one quality OOC win was Louisville who they struggled with. It isnt like FSU is some push over they did beat Alabama and BC, yeah they are down this year but if you underestimate them they will come back and bite you...they still have speed and athletes no question about it.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:43 PM

my perceptions of Glennon have more to do with how I interacted with him when he came in as a freshman/soph (when I worked in sports med w/ the football team).

of all the VT football players I've worked with.....IMO Sean was one of the worst. he has a major ego problem, and doesn't listen to anyone. theres only a couple of guys i would consider worse (Rouse and J.Williams come to mind).

Kevin Rogers didn't think highly of SG either...and IMO is one of the reasons why Rogers left (along with the MV2 fiasco). Through the '04 and '05 seasons, whenever I saw Rogers he was complaining about one of those 2 players (even though MV2 wasn't around in fall '04).

Sean has done good for himself this year. I'm glad he pulled it together after his mental meltdown after he was benched, I think he got just what he needed to keep his head on straight and keep himself humble enough to come back out and do a good job. IMO....he's the most improved player on the team this year, and well deserve the recognition he's getting late this year.

....but I will always hold my breath every time he audibles or decides run out of the pocket.....

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/03/2007, 06:01 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
LSU will run the score up if the situation allows it. Look at the Miss State, Va and La Tech scores. Go back and look over the last couple years. Fact is they aren't good enough to throw a spanking on a good team, period. Va Tech and Miss State were obviously flukes. After beating Carolina (who I think we all can agree was not a very good team this year after all) by 12 points they havent had a convincing win against anyone but the door mats.

They had to come from behind with multiple 4th down gambles to beat Florida, They had Kentucky down 27-14 and couldn't seal the deal, They had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat Auburn and Alabama, and Lost to Arkansas. They didn't beat any conference opponent other than Miss State, Ole Miss and Carolina by more than a touchdown. It is a sign of a good team when they can come from behind for the win BUT when you have to play from behind in a majority of your games it just means your not good enough to put teams away. And remember they were losing to Tennessee in the 4th and won it by scoring on an interception at Tennessee's 18 yard line.

Oct. 6, 2007 Florida W 28-24
Oct. 13, 2007 at Kentucky L 43-37
Oct. 20, 2007 Auburn 30-24
Nov. 3, 2007 at Alabama W 41-34
Nov. 10, 2007 Louisiana Tech W 58-10
Nov. 17, 2007 at Ole Miss W 41-24
Nov. 23, 2007 Arkansas L 50-48
Dec. 1, 2007 Tennessee W 21-14

If LSU and OSU met in a neutral field I would put my money on OSU. I think playing in LSU's house will rattle OSU's players. If they can handle that they can win.
I would be careful Grim. Look at FLA's schedule last year and you see FLA had some really close games as well. Anyone remember that FLA/South Carolina game? . FLA decieved OSU into thinking it was going to be a very close game just by how close some of the games FLA had with their oppenents last year. Remember, this isn't regular season LSU. This is bowl game LSU. Remember what LSU did to Notre Dame? I am predicting OSU will definately lose for sure.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/03/2007, 06:10 PM

Go back and look at how Florida won last year, they were playing ahead in nearly all their games. When it came to crunch time they came in and took care of business against Ark. Bowl game or not LSU isn't that good. I would have put money on Georgia or Florida either one against them in the champ game.