Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Pardon my ignorance but who wants 3 lion fish????

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...1930&siteid=20
Old 12/06/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

People,
I have strolled this forum much and read some of the problems people have had with thier RSM. I'm making an upgrade unit for the max and I'm trying to address the flaws with the existing equipment. So far I am working on; bubble control, a spot to put the chiller pump, an area for media, and a skimmer that skims reliably. My question is what else is on your wish list of things to improve on the RSM? Any answers will be MUCH appreciated.

Have a wonderful reef keeping evening,
Dave
Old 12/06/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

mbdave - I am still trying to get my head around a way to plumb a fuge in without compromising the aesthetics of the tank - ie stick it in the cabinet.

I don't think it is actually all that difficult in itself, but along with putting a chiller in there ther ain't a lot of space...

Bubbles & efficient skimming are definately on my to do list too

James
Old 12/06/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Titans I am using the red sea test.

I took out the filters and use the magnum 350 with the filter for filtering occasionaly, the one with the unit seemed to dirty so soon as it had very little surface area for filtering
Old 12/06/2007, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Re: FYI: New Nano Skimmers Soon Avail.

The Euroreef skimmer looks good.

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
Both Euroreef and Octopus are soon releasing new in tank nano skimmers which may work for the max. May be viable options to replace stock skimmer.

Link to more info. on Euroreef nano skimmer.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:20 PM
Genuine reef addict

mbdave - I spend a lot of time a couple times a week going through the Diver's Den listings. I've gotten a couple of nice things from them - my Trachyphilla brain was one. Some of the prices are way out of my league, but they do have some stuff at my level of affordability too. And the stuff changes frequently.

I've seen lionfish at one of my lfs at pretty low prices (like $15), but no thanks - the Foxface is venomous too, but not as menacing as a lionfish literally loaded with poisonous spines!

On your "list" how about a gate mod that would let us raise the tank level to the rim without losing surface skimming? Are you the official RSM Santa, collecting peoples' RSM wish lists?

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/06/2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbdave
People,
I have strolled this forum much and read some of the problems people have had with thier RSM. I'm making an upgrade unit for the max and I'm trying to address the flaws with the existing equipment. So far I am working on; bubble control, a spot to put the chiller pump, an area for media, and a skimmer that skims reliably. My question is what else is on your wish list of things to improve on the RSM? Any answers will be MUCH appreciated.

Have a wonderful reef keeping evening,
Dave
How about a basket that slips easily into place in the skimmer compartment? Something with a handle, or just a 'lip' that would make it easy to clean sponge & white pad? Maybe some way to attach the 2 pumps with magnets for easy removal?? I don't know, there's just got to be a better idea for accessing the pumps and media below them.
Donna
Old 12/06/2007, 10:16 PM
Excuse My French...

On top of my Wish List is an easy mod to get rid of micro-bubbles.

The brand new Solana from Current-USA has a "micro-bubbles eliminator".

It is quite hard to figure out what exactly is that from the pictures on the brochure, but if it does work, why not try to reproduce a similar system in the RSM?
Old 12/06/2007, 11:03 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...*ACK* My clowns had a spat! The orange is in the anemone...the black is now in the neigbouring frogspawn...

Stay tuned for the next installment of "How the Clown Swims"...
Old 12/07/2007, 06:51 AM
Genuine reef addict

Lots of good ideas for the wish list!

Rue - keep us posted on the clown spat!
Old 12/07/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Thank you all for the input thus far. Reefmack I was wondering who the heck would want 3 lions at one time?
Old 12/07/2007, 10:49 AM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mbdave
Thank you all for the input thus far. Reefmack I was wondering who the heck would want 3 lions at one time?
You certainly wouldn't have many other fish in with them - the mouths on those critters are huge!
Old 12/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Phosban Reactor (Two Litttle Fishes)

Well, I will receive mine today and plan on installing it tonight. Anyone else have one running on the Max? Any suggestions on how to install it? Also, I plan on possibly mixing both Phosban and Purigen in the reactor? Any problems or issues in doing so?

Thanks,

Stuart
Old 12/07/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

I purchased one but dropped it when I realized I didnt know how to feed it. The phosban reactors need low flow (less than 80GPH) so I couldn't plumb it inline with my chiller, another pump was needed. Pretty soon I will change my chiller over to be fed by an external pump, and might revisit the phosban reactor.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Mbdave,
I'll take a set of "Stop the bubbles" skimmer mod blueprints. I'm willing to be a prototype guinea pig (I've got 2 skimmers to play with).
Old 12/07/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?
Old 12/07/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

I just set up a Red Sea Max. Its been running for about 2 weeks or so...I have a few corals in the tank, a 6 line wrasse and bicolor blenny. I dont think the skimmer is working. The 1st two days I had the Max it skimmed like a mo fo. I had to clean the collection cup 2x in the 1st 2 days..now today..for the last 2 weeks..there has been nothing. Is that normal? I dont get a ton of froth on the top...and its not over flowing. The froth is white. I have the bleeder nozzle open about 1/2 way. Is this normal? Also...My tank is flooded with tiny little bubbles. What gives? I have a 29 gallon Oceanic and it seems easier then this beast...Do I just need to wait and have the protein skimmer break in?
Old 12/07/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Hodge I might take you up on that. The first proto is still a bit out, "I have the design just havent put it to acrylic yet". I'm trying to get my design to be as user friendly as the max will let it be. Quite the challenge.
On another note I'm really bummed my last order from live aquaria got delayed @ FedEx and its below freezing I'm totally worried about the live stock, "terrible way to go"

jraducha
"Welcome to the RSM" read the whole thread its full of options to "kinda" correct the problems you are having.
Good luck,
Dave

PS also check rsmreefers.com
Old 12/07/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Here's a few pic's of RSMDave for your viewing pleasure as always forgive the photogrphy its poor.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket My cluvaria and a bubble mushroom to the left. If you look close you might be able to see the anthelia that sprouted up with the cluvaria and has made a nice addition.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Still after 20 years at this hobby cynarina are still my favorite corals. This nice pinky has done very well. If you loook above the cynarina you will see some spectacular palythoas "orange rim" I got in Columbus.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Frogspawm, hammer, pink palys, and green sinularia with the claustrea peeking at the left.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Mt greenish lobophyton its starting to really look good and its growing I'm sure in the next 6 months it will have to find a larger home.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Where to begin....From the left green striped and blue coralmorpharians "mushrooms" then my pink lobo, an assortment of zoanthids, a nice blastmussa, above those is one of my favorites a green bubble red back groundyuma, "very big also"
Old 12/07/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

More pic's
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Nice orange and bluish yuma.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket And an assortment of haitian bubble mushrooms and some nice yumas.

Chow
Old 12/07/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...2063&siteid=20 Cannot believe that was not taken right away.... sweet!!
Old 12/07/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

My wife has this on order for me (early xmas present)

Aussie scroll coral
Old 12/07/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Nice
Old 12/07/2007, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Dave how bought a picture of the full tank. Your pictures are great

Marty
Old 12/07/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Marty I will take one tomorrow thanks for the compliment.