Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NYproDJ
yea i think you just set a reef central record for adding the most fish at one time...

no acclimation to PH and salinity and your fish arent dead... some do say that acclimation is a myth... I think you may have proved it lol
I wasn't trying for any records. So far, so good. Water check this morning didn't show any spikes and I plan on checking daily for the first week. Currently have 200 gallons ready incase a quick water change is needed.
Old 02/23/2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
dang wish i knew you were making such a big order i would have loved to have hitchhiked on w/ your order. i would have only had 3 fish and one anemone

you just floated them? not acclimation? sounds CRAZY to me. weren't you worried about pH or SG shock? it will only take 15-30min to get a fish acclimated to temp by floating but could take 45-1hr to acclimate to pH and SG (by adding water to bag slowly). never heard of people just floating and dumping....sounds very very dangerous to me.

38fish at once? dang...not worried about spiking anything w/ that many? yeah i realize it is 600gal+ but still.

what were the 38 fish you added. inquiring minds want to know

later
Lunchbucket
You better hurry and get your order in. I'm placing another Monday for Tuesday shipping set to arrive Wednesday morning.

Shipment yesterday contained :
10 Lyretail anthias (2 males & 8 females)
8 Green Chromis
5 Sebae clowns
3 Blue Hippo Tangs
5 Hawaiian Yellow Tangs
1 Vlamingi Tang
2 Powder Blue Surgeon Tangs
1 Red Sea Blonde Naso Tang
2 Sailfin Tangs
4 Pacific Cleaner Wrasses
1 White Cheeks Tang

Head count tonight came out right tonight and feeding went well. I guess I must be lucky..(at least so far)
Old 02/23/2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KEEPERZ
wow- I just did 20 anthias and 4 wrasses but they did get water acclimation-lost two anthias 4 days in, hope all of yours live.
Anthias can be tough whether you buy 2 or a dozen. I thought about waiting on them and adding later, but the price was right. At one time, I had 9 in my 470 and am down to five which have done well and been around for more than a year. I wouldn't be surprised if the first fish I loose in this tank is an anthias. Tonight, all were accounted for.
Old 02/23/2007, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Nice fish shipment!!

I have to ask though.. you said you have 53 servers, but you are in sales. Sounds like you should be in IT?
I do that too.............
Old 02/23/2007, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

The one advantage to having the tank in the basement, you don't have to worry about water spills.....

Old 02/23/2007, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Full tank shot..forgot to turn on the pendants for the first one.

Old 02/24/2007, 12:27 AM
g0t fIsH

looking good, man that is alot of fish...i guess when i get that far i will do the same... also did franz give you any problems when your tank was being build or shipped, thanks got mine coming from him too....keep up the good work and pics coming
(red house for 600gal)
Old 02/24/2007, 02:16 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

holy crap!! that is a whole lotta tangs! they will be pooping machines. i hope you got the BIG version of the H&S skimmer or you'll be emptying it twice a day.

i'll pm you
Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 02/24/2007, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
holy crap!! that is a whole lotta tangs! they will be pooping machines. i hope you got the BIG version of the H&S skimmer or you'll be emptying it twice a day.

i'll pm you
Lunchbucket
There are more tangs on their way, Mustard tang, Achilles tang, Sohal tang, Dussimer tang, and a Yellow eye tang. As far as I know, the H&S A300 is the largest offered in the states. It's doing a great job so far, no complaints.

Photo of first day & half collections.

Old 02/24/2007, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

I might of missed it and i could not get it off the box, where did you order all your fish from?
Old 02/24/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

looking good, like your rock arrangement. nice selection of fish too.

-unknown
Old 02/24/2007, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UnderwaterExotic
I might of missed it and i could not get it off the box, where did you order all your fish from?
Old 02/24/2007, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alphabet
looking good, like your rock arrangement. nice selection of fish too.
Thank you! I am very happy with the rock arrangement. I very much like the open areas and the depth it creates in the background.
Old 02/24/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Here are a couple of pictures from the first night the fish were in the tank. The Sailfin Tangs wasted no time picking at the rocks.

Old 02/24/2007, 12:51 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

This tank is off to an awesome start, best of luck!
Old 02/24/2007, 01:32 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

oh wow didn't realize you got the big daddy A300!!! NICE. we need a full shot of that skimmer i'm a skimmer freak

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 02/24/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
oh wow didn't realize you got the big daddy A300!!! NICE. we need a full shot of that skimmer i'm a skimmer freak

Lunchbucket
Here's a picture taken at the factory.

Old 02/24/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

im not picking on anyone reply, i just picked one. i noticed alot of shock from not ph and sg matching the water from the fishes bag to the tank.

Quote:
you just floated them? not acclimation? sounds CRAZY to me. weren't you worried about pH or SG shock? it will only take 15-30min to get a fish acclimated to temp by floating but could take 45-1hr to acclimate to pH and SG (by adding water to bag slowly). never heard of people just floating and dumping....sounds very very dangerous to me.
when fish are shipped the ph drops and the ammonia goes up. this is all ok because with the lower ph the ammonia conceration can be higher with out being harmful. however, some feel its best to "cut and run" so to speak with shipped fish and get the fish in no ammonia and the correct ph water as fast as possible after temp matching. i work at a lfs and we cut and drop the fish with little to no water temp acclimation. no we dont have massive die offs either. also 38 fish at once, id be willing he would have little to no spikes either, due solely to the fact he has 2 sand bed filters on his tank. they are miracle workers.... fwiw.
Old 02/24/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

i can't get my mouth off my desk... Very nice setup..

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10726;103/st/20071022/n/start+date/k/0965/blk-age.png[/img]
[/url]
Old 02/24/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger240
im not picking on anyone reply, i just picked one. i noticed alot of shock from not ph and sg matching the water from the fishes bag to the tank.

when fish are shipped the ph drops and the ammonia goes up. this is all ok because with the lower ph the ammonia conceration can be higher with out being harmful. however, some feel its best to "cut and run" so to speak with shipped fish and get the fish in no ammonia and the correct ph water as fast as possible after temp matching. i work at a lfs and we cut and drop the fish with little to no water temp acclimation. no we dont have massive die offs either. also 38 fish at once, id be willing he would have little to no spikes either, due solely to the fact he has 2 sand bed filters on his tank. they are miracle workers.... fwiw.
Thank you! I was beginning to worry that I may have doomed my fish..... Ammonia was very strong in several bags. 2 days later, everyone seems to be doing well. Just finished checking water and got the following:
MH4 .1
NO2 .1
NO3 4
PH 8.5
PO4 0
Sal 1.022

A head count showed all present and accounted for after two days. Might have lost 1 cleaner shrimp, or he decided to shed.
Old 02/24/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bax
This tank is off to an awesome start, best of luck!
Thank you!. I appreciate your comments! It's been a hair pulling project at times, but things seem to be coming together.
Old 02/24/2007, 05:18 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger240
cool to know. it is just opposite of a lot of reefers so that is why i mentioned something. learn some new way of doing it everyday

i guess w/ 600+gals and two sand filters you could get away w/ alot

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 02/24/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Here are a couple of photos of the Blonds Naso.

Old 02/24/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

please dont take my comments across the board to getting fish from a lfs tho. this technique should only be used for shipped fish that have spoiled there water by not having a bio fiteration for an extended time. theres a neat graph that shows ph and ammonia as a function of "lethalness" i will try and dig it up. ive had mixed success (poor) with "cutting and running" fish that ive purchased from the lfs. i think its too much for them, but fish that are in poor water conditions should be dropped after temp matching, or at the very least most of the water drained from the bag to give a higher ratio of clean water than dirty water.

please keep the updates comming. your tank is inspiring!!!

Last edited by Tigger240; 02/24/2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02/24/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
i guess w/ 600+gals and two sand filters you could get away w/ alot
with two established sand filters, you can get away with a lot more than youd think you could for sure. now if you lose power (and flow) to them (ie bacteria dieoff from o2 starvation), youd be in a bigger mess than you could handle too (fish die). a generator , or backup marine boat batteries at a minimum should definatly be on your equpiment list to keep your sand bed filters working 24/7 and flowing from and into your (main) tank. this is essential. a power outage could wipe out your whole tank, as sand bed filters are so efficent that bacteria populations in your tank and elsewhere will not be in sufficent quantity to handle (a moderate to heavily stocked) bio load.