Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 04:22 AM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Eric Wow I just found your thread... Great looking Build man I will be following along.... You have been in my thread so long I feel like I know you

What are you going to use the Pentair fluidized bed reactor for?

I also had good luck with GC for my Prop tank and refugium needs

Of course I use use the AC jr. But I always wish I had just splurged and bought the AC 3 Prolly will switch out before the year ends

Cute Mermaid

Have you decided upon a skimmer yet?
Old 08/19/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

ReefArtist- Thanks I have went through that document a couple times. Marc posted this link about controllers on another thread. Incase everyone hasn’t seen it yet.
http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/index.php

Pookstreet- Yeah.. I really am not a fan of drywall and mudding. I finally got it done so I can clean my mess. Hopefully I can pick the speed this week. I have to assist with an install the first part of the week. No matter what I am going to get some foam and get the tank on its stand.

Doctor64776- Hi doc. Thanks..Its funny you talk to me people here and you do feel like you know them…Your thread was a big inspiration so I finally took the plunge. I was not sure if I was going to have a big enough fuge and wanted to take as many precautions to remove nitrates. I want to have my tank with mixed corals and heavy on the fish. I almost ordered the Jr. But decide to wait for the same reason. Being a computer guy I got to have a cool controller. But the same ol saying pimpin aint easy or cheap. HAHAHHAHA I have a moded skimmer from my old tank for now. After I get the tank up I want to DIY a skimmer.

Here are some updates of what I have done so far. I had to help the in-laws and a friend but still squeezed in a little time for the fish room.

I will have some shelves to the left side for the reactors.

Some electric and overhead lights. Home depot had flush mount lights for $10. I picked up a few so I can have some light above the tank lights, and one for the storage.

I needed to pick up some duct work to move my return out of the fish room/ office.

I got the first coat of paint on the wall. Now I can finally clean up all the dust!!!

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/19/2007, 11:58 PM
Girls Rule!

Wow that's looking great! =)
Old 08/20/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Wow that's looking great! =)
Thanks..

Old 08/20/2007, 12:10 AM
Team RC Member

Eric, I'm impressed, you're really handy around the house for a computer guy. It's really looking great!
Old 08/20/2007, 12:49 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

looking good Eric!

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/20/2007, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

same as everyone else... looking good. So the tank is going in this week? Awesome.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/20/2007, 04:57 AM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
You have gotten an amazing amount done very quickly!

Looking really nice.. I will be following along
Keep us posted with lots and Lots of pics
Old 08/20/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

No more drywall dust!!! Thats what I'm talking about!!! Now you can have fun.

I've spilled a drop or two of water in my day.

(click red house for my build thread)
Old 08/20/2007, 01:41 PM
g0t fIsH

so when do you find time to sleep ? great progress Eric
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/20/2007, 03:42 PM
Genius

Nice progress!
Someone suggested the use of a light mover in my thread. I thought maybe you'd consider the option so cut down on electricity and initial equipment cost.
Old 08/20/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Great Job!
Old 08/20/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/20/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

With the paint on it looks really good! Did you have any problems with the old and the new paint no longer matching?
Old 08/20/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Dudester- Thanks. I love your aquascape.

Dandy7200- Thanks

Thirschman- Thanks. I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up some more wood and the foam for under the tank.

Any of you guys have anything to say about what foam for under the tank? I think I read somewhere to use the pink foam.

Pcostanzo – I hate dust. I put a plastic cover over my desk but that really didn’t help. I finaly got it all cleaned up.

Cbui2- Yeah it was a real busy weekend. I helped a friend frame and drywall a room. My mudding skills are getting better. I think I’ll keep that on the downlo hehehe I also helped the inlaws make a 10 x 6 ˝ stand for his trains. That would be a huge tank. I figured I had to keep it moving, maybe half your speed.hahahah

Danskim- You have any info about the light movers. I thought about adding some solar tubes.

Spleef- Thanks

Token- Good eye with the stand. I will post pics this weekend of it finished. I think I need to make sure my 75 will fit under there. I think I will make my next stand out of metal. I like the room and extra strength.

Michika- If you are talking about the where the new wall meets the existing, the paint matched perfect. I did have a little flashing of the paint on a section. I painted over a section that wasn’t dry and you can see a little flashing. One more coat will make it perfect. I thought I had another gallon. Oh well.. I think I am going to go with a different color in the office. Maybe a Dark Blue, just need to get some ideas how it will match with the wood work which is undetermined at this time. I know what I want in the office down to measurements. I am just not sure what color I want the wood or just use the same stuff they use on famica.

Old 08/20/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Foam under the tank only helps (or should be used) when the tank has no trim (usually the black plastic) around it. Reason being that the weight of the tank is supported by the whole bottom and therefore dispersed over the foam. Tanks with trim don't benefit much since all of the weight concentrates on narrow piece and will just bring the foam all the way down (and might cause problems with the center is too 'fat' and puts pressure against the middle of the bottom). HTH.

By the way, looking great!!!
Old 08/20/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Glass Cages recommends foam. It is not the same type of trim like on my 75. It is just there to protect the edges, It is flat on the bottom panel wit the glass on the bottom. I know what type of trim you think it is but it is not the same trim that I have on my smaller tanks. It is only 1/8 thick.

Old 08/21/2007, 12:27 AM
Genius

Here's the light mover: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113356

From what I can tell, it seems the light mover moves the rack side to side a predetermined distance every predetermined amount of time (0-60 seconds).
I've been told it is a more efficient way to use less lights and electricity while still providing light.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danskim
Here's the light mover: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113356

From what I can tell, it seems the light mover moves the rack side to side a predetermined distance every predetermined amount of time (0-60 seconds).
I've been told it is a more efficient way to use less lights and electricity while still providing light.
That is really cool. I wanted to go with 3 250 mh or 3 400mh. I forgot about the eurobrace. I might just go with 4 250's.

What about 2 400's and 2 sloar tubes at the tank ends? Hummm .. I need to sell my truck. $$$$ hahahah

Bleedingthought- Does that sound right? Have you ever seen the trim that I am talking about? I took another look and the trim is about 1/16 thick around the entire bottom on the tank. It is about 1 1/2 wide. I tried to get a couple close up pics.

Thanks again for your input everyone.

Old 08/21/2007, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

I believe that its just another type of bracing. I think that I'm going to have the same thing on my tank.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/21/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Thirschmann- It is plastic and has a little strength to it. I just called them and they said to use the foam under the glass. Hopefully after work today i can get some more materials.

Old 08/21/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Eric, is it basically plastic eurobracing under the tank? Not sure what it accomplishes more than your standard plastic trim but if it works it works.

I would only put foam under whatever is touching your stand. But that's just me.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

i went to Home depot today and they didn't have the pink foam. The guy said it is common up north. I need to see if I can find some tomorrow. I got some wood and started working on my shelves. Here are some pics.

Here is my 75 sump that I need to drill.

I know my garage is a mess. I need to clean it out so I can work on the water change system. Iam going to put it against this wall. You can see the AC that is on the other wall of the fish room.

I am going to move the grey shelf and put it there.

Here is the begining of the shelf for the reactors and stuff..

Old 08/21/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

The foam is readily available here in GA. It's used to insulate houses so I thought it was available everywhere, whether it's hot or cold.
Old 08/22/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

looking forward to updates, good job so far.