Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/17/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Well ive just tried this method to clean up my tank, and im glad to say that it works.

In fact the tank is a lot cleaner than I thought it would be considering 3 days really is not that big a period.

SaltwaterDaddy, good idea about the lights, I have been running my lights for shorter periods, and have filtered light through a window to help. I just cant believe how simple, yet effective this method really is.
Old 04/17/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

I tried this as well. It did seem to help with the microalgae. No apparent deleterious impact on the SPS, LPS, anenomes and fish. It seems that the pH is also a little lower - less photosynthesis.

Thanks

Will
Old 04/18/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MO Will
I tried this as well. It did seem to help with the microalgae. No apparent deleterious impact on the SPS, LPS, anenomes and fish. It seems that the pH is also a little lower - less photosynthesis.

Thanks

Will
Did you do the full 3 days?
Old 04/18/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

i am definitley going to try this to get rid of some cyano i have as well as the water change afterward and possibly even for long term use. i think that its a great idea. nice tank too
Old 04/18/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

i am definitley going to try this to get rid of some cyano i have as well as the water change afterward and possibly even for long term use. i think that its a great idea. nice tank too
Old 04/18/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Going on day 3 ... my experience so far

Today is the bigging of day three and lights will come on tomorrow!

I briefly turned on the light yesterday and still noticed cyano and some HA (been batteling it for a few weeks and hoping this will finalize it)

Here are some of the things i noticed:

1. ALL my leathers are shedding their skin (they all look glossy) ... this is not nessesarily a bad thing

2. I have had an explosion of pods, baby snails and even found some flat worms i have never had these

3. All fish seem fine with it and feeding normal. I am hoping that tomorrow when i turn on the lights the cyano and hair algea will be gone. I will do a 20% water change too
Old 04/18/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Today is day one for me.Lights have been out since last night when the timers shut them down.
I've got hair algae and some cyano.
I'll post the results saturday morning.
Old 04/18/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Comments after turning lights back on.

I noticed that this method was the most effective for battling cyano. I just used this method with great success. One observation I will make is that you may still have a few patchs of cyano left, but you can re-use this method again. I have 2 patches that have been thick for a long time, which got hammered, but have not away completely.

I still say this was a successful treatment, as I didnt use chemicals, and 90% of the cyano is gone. I plan on doing this treatment in the future to try to rid the last of the visible stuff latter.

Just be patient for good results.
Old 04/18/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Today is day one for my also. Do you think I should do the full 3 days or just 2. I am just a little nervous. I have a mixed reef softies, LPS, SPS, anenome, clams.
Old 04/18/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

i just went two full days and man, what a difference! it didnt get rid of all the hair algae but it definately thinned it out. the water is so sparkling clear! i also done a 20% water change. my frogspawn has opened bigger than it ever has! my white sand gleams a brilliant white! this is certainly going to be part of my normal maintenance from now on.
Old 04/18/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

When I go away now for a long weekend I keep my lights off. I think it gives everything a well needed rest and I dont have to clean the glass on the tank like I have in the past..
Old 04/19/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Great IDEA!

Will try it with my SPS/LPS.

Aquabucket, I voted for your tank for Nano of the Month.

Guy's Aqua has a great tank and thinks innovatively. We should all support him, and vote.
Old 04/19/2007, 10:05 AM
Keeper of water boxes.

Have not stumbled across that article on days of light yet, but for you geeky tech types (don't tell anyone but I love this stuff) here is an article about light and corals.
Those who don't know what phrases like isobathic bimodal distribution mean may want to pass.
http://www.nacri.org/greylit/vermeij...meps-light.pdf
Old 04/19/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

This should be the thread of the month...

Where did we get the idea that we had to leave the lights on 365 days a year????
Old 04/19/2007, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Does it make a difference if you leave the lights on in the refugium?
Old 04/19/2007, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

lights asleep

I am giving it a whirl - makes sense to me - funny how I thought that if my lights were off for 5 minutes I was heading for trouble

Old 04/19/2007, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishytoo123
Does it make a difference if you leave the lights on in the refugium?
I am leaving the lights in the fuge on 24/7 while doing this.
1) It helps stabilize the ph
2)It keeps the macro going strong in the fuge,maybe even growing a little faster thus sucking up the nutrients that are being put back into the water from the bad stuff that's dying off in the display.
The 2nd point is just a educated guess but I think the 1st point is reason enough.
Old 04/19/2007, 02:18 PM
Dance 4 Life

How do differentiate "good" from "bad"?
Old 04/19/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Good stuff I was refering to is the Chaeto or other macro you have in the fuge and bad stuff being the cyano and Hair algae that you're trying to get rid of in the display.
Old 04/19/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I am jumping on this wagon too. I did a major clean-up last night, and decided to keep the lights off. Today is day 1. I am also leaving my fuge lit 24/7 (they always run 24/7). Will report in two more days.
Old 04/19/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I just tried this out on my sysytem, I got to say it did make a differance. I had some algae on my sand and its much improved.
Old 04/20/2007, 08:41 PM
Bucket Reefer

Its great that a lot of you are seeing good results!
Old 04/20/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

This is my second day and cyano has gone,I'll leave the lights off another day.I remember getting rid of dinos that way a few years back useing a filter sleeve to pull out dead dinos.This technique should be used routinely when needed instead of putting al sorts of stuff in the tank.
Old 04/20/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

2 week update

I have had great results from this method.

I posted on 4/11 that I successfully ELIMINATED Cyano from my display. I had a bad case that covered everything (Rock/Sand/corals).

Well 2 weeks later, there is still no sign of any Cyano in the display. I have mostly softies and a few LPS. In my case there have been no side effects that I have observed.

I would recommend the following (Sorry if this is repetitive)...
- 1 Day actinics
- 2 Days, no lights
- Leave fuge lights on 24/7
- Use a sock filter if you don't already
- Do a WC on day 4 or soon afterwards
- Put in fresh carbon BEFORE lights out
- Clean out your skimmer BEFORE to maximize its effectiveness

Good Luck!

-Chip
Old 04/21/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

This is amazing! It's great that many here have tried it with great success.

I've been cursed with 2 cyano outbreak so far and the only successful method of ridding them is by using chemical and a 20% water change afterward. This is so much more natural. Cost = $0 too.

Don't let the chemical companies know about this 'cause they'll bottle this idea and charge us $10 for it. LOL