Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2006, 01:39 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Wow, I hadn't read the thread since 10/05... Sounds like you've had a really bad run of luck.

Hope things turn around. The Ick will go away with time, just make sure the fish are happy and well fed... if they worse then you need to consider pulling them out and going to a hypo/copper treatment.
Old 11/11/2006, 07:32 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Thanks for the encouraging word xtrstangx.

I did just loose my orchid dotty back. It was always a very skittish feeder and has just withered since the ick took hold. I suspected he would not make it, but it would have been impossible to catch him without a tank tear down.

The remaining fish, a pair of o.clowns; coral beauty; fox face lo; and a midas blenny all seem to be doing well.

I am in the process of rearranging my fish room to plumb in a larger UV sterilizer and reposition my kalk mixer and RO top off. This will allow for room for my Ca reactor (hopefully stabilizing Alk & pH which may help with the HA. And, as a bonus, I'll be able to move my 26 g bow (my QT) in there as well, making future critter additions less stressful on me. My QT was out in the shop where temp control was tough (I believe that's is what happened to the heniochus butterfly I had in QT).

Anyway, all this death has my nitrites/nitrates slightly elevated and that has my coral colors and PE less that I'd like it so I am doing water changes and I am considering converting a spare section of my sump into an RDSB. I 've been using it as a pods haven which has worked well, but my fuge is well established now and I don't think the pod haven is as needed.
Old 11/17/2006, 08:34 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

The UV sterilizer, is doing a great job at clearing up my water. I got a Turbo Twist 36 watt UV, it's huge compared to my old 9 watt!

I've also picked up an ozinator and will run ozone a few hours a day to help further eliminate dissolved organics in the water.

My water params are all solid, except my Sg which has slid down to about 1.022-1.023 (I like it between 1.024-1.025) I think due to the heavy skimming I've been doing.

I am taking my time with the re-arrangment of my fish room and now seeing clearly several logistcal errors I made in my initial placement of things. 20 20 hindsight is so crystal clear. There are several things I'll just have to live with as I can't move the fuge without a total tear down ... and that's not happening.
Old 11/23/2006, 02:01 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Do you notice visibly clearer water with the UV? I'm thinking putting one of my Christmas list, but I'm also considering ozone.

I know how you feel with the fish room. There are a few things I would move around (a 6' 125g/135g sump would've been nice).

Do you have a thread for your: "Starting the work on the fish room side of my 260 custom 56"x36"x32" reef display with 250 g remote fish room at home" yet?
Old 11/24/2006, 08:27 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

xtrstangx

The 36 watt UV has been on line about 10 days now. I noticed a difference in the clarity of the water in 2-3 days. It has gotten even clearer since.

I started running ozone on Monday this week. That bumped my ORP up by 50.

I am pretty sure that the algae I am fighting is giving off toxins to the water that are detrimental to my snails and other inverts including corals. Since running ozone (two hours a day at 100 mg/hr) my snails are moving around again. They had all dropped off the glass and were becoming hermit snacks. And I am seeing PE on corals that were suddenly struggling (not exibithing PE and lightening in color) begin to extend and slowly color up.

As far as the fish room for the 260ish, no thread yet. But that should start moving soon. I had hoped to frame out a fish room in my garage this past summer with the intent of establishing the fuge, a frag tank and sump along with most of the back of the tank equipment before even ordering the display tank. But we moved the shop and officce at work and this 120 project emerged so I have not had the opportunity to do any work on the fish room here at the house. That area is still a work bench.

I hope to start the work on my family room, where the display tank will be placed, over this winter. The general is demanding that. So, I am going to have to get focused on the entire project and would like to have water in the system by the summer. I have (had) all the equipment expect for the display tank, but have used many parts for the 120. I still have all the fish room tanks, pumps & skimmer I just need to replace a few things: Kalk reactor; Ca reactor; chiller; controllers; and some Tunzes & Votechs (only few more dollars ) now as these are all in use for the 120.

We'll see where I get to.
Old 11/24/2006, 12:15 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks Bax, definately have another thing to think about getting.

The new tank sounds pretty sweet. Definately post the link once you get a thread going... Looks like you are going to have to shell out some good money if you have to replace Ca reactor, chiller, and Tunzes.
Old 11/24/2006, 03:54 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Yup, but what's a few more bucks at this stage ?

... and there will definitely be a link here.

I'll be able to buy smaller equipment and use it on the 120 so if I shop used here in the forums it should not be too bad. I also have a complete CL set up I could put on the 120 and take back my Tunzes and Vortech for the 260.

It has actually been a good thing to have waited. Each time you set up a new tank, you learn so much. In setting up the 120, I have completely re-thought the sump room on the 260 project. Also following new tank threads in the big boy forum is like taking an internet course on reef keeping. You can never learn enough.
Old 11/24/2006, 10:59 PM
Registered pineapple

Lovin it!

CPT.
Old 11/25/2006, 12:26 AM
reef obsessed

Your tank rules. Love the aquascape!
Old 11/25/2006, 07:41 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

CPT & drummereef

Thanks for the kind words .... it's a process.

I'll try to post some current picks so you can all see the algae. I just took a couple the other day, but left the camera at the officce. It is not advaning with the speed it had been but it still detracts form the apperance and as I said above I belive it is giving off toxins into the water.

I'll be traveling again all week next week for work. That is how my aglae got out of hand in the first place. I have to leave the system in the hands of an employee who is not familiar with aquariums ... at all!

A slump in husbandry at any critical point can spell trouble, I think (hope) I am better prepared this time .... we'll see.

One thing is for sure my fish are exhibiting no signs of ick and are all very healthy once again.
Old 11/27/2006, 06:36 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Wish me luck!

I am three hours from my tank for the whole week on an out of town job. Did all the maintenance I could over the weekend and went it at 4:30 this morning to get in one more water change before we left. About the only thing I could not do was harvest the hair algae, just ran out of time.

I finally moved my RODI unit over tho the shop and hooked it up and RATS!, my water pressure will only give me 40 psi so I need a booster pump ASAP. I was onlymaking about 3-4 gallons per day over the weekend. That's not enough! I made an adjustment this morning and I hope I will get closer to 5 gallons a day util I can get a booster. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old 12/07/2006, 02:34 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Just a brief update:

I still need a booster pump on my RODI, but I am generating about 5 gallons a day and that'll suffice. But of course, a new issue, my TDS is 0 going in to my piggy back DI canister and 7-17 coming out! I guess it's time to change the resin, but still, an increase in TDS? I did not expect that.

My hair algae was NUTS! when I returned from my business trip. A few hours of pruning and it looks better, but there is still more pruning to do.

My water looks as clear as ever. I am very happy (this is me being happy ) with the 36w UV unit and the O3 unit I have added. I actually took my ER ES 5-3 skimmer off line and I still have clearer water! I removed the second skimmer as it was in my fuge due to space limitations and I wanted to provide my corals, and fish, with all the "naturally" available food possible, as I have really cut back on feeding due to the algae. I dialed up the G4x and it seems to be handling the skimming duties just fine for now.

One thing I'd love to get some feedback on, my snail mortality is just crazy! I had well over 120 snails before this algae bloom and now I bet I am down to 25-50 tops! Any notions as to what the heck that is all about would be appreciated. The die off is not limited to any one species nerites, cerinths nuasaris, turbins, turbos, astreas ... whatever, they are dying.
Old 12/08/2006, 10:30 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

These pics were taken about two weeks ago, but it looks much the same now, maybe a little bit better as I spent quite a bit of time pruning this week.

Nasty huh?
Old 12/08/2006, 10:35 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

You can see the algae encroaching on the corals

Both PE and color are effected on about half my corals

Here is my gemmi now

Here's the same gemi colony in September before the algae became thick

Old 12/08/2006, 11:39 PM
Team RC Member

Despite the tank salad, your corals truly have some amazing color. I'm quite jealous. Are you running any phosphate-binding resin? I'm not sure why your snails are dying, but definitely others here on RC have experienced the same phenomenon. I think even melev had a mass snail die-off event, although I'm not 100% certain about this as I'm subscribed to too many threads to maintain an accurate account. Have you asked around in the "Other Invertebrates" forum?
Old 12/09/2006, 09:55 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dude

The whole coral thing is a little perplexing. While some corals are a bit faded ( I would not call them bleached) others are fine. My prostrata, pocilipora, and a few others are thriving. But those I pictured above are not?

I do run phosban in a phosban 150 reactor. I run carbon in several spots in the sump system and change the bags in a rotation. And, as the previous few post describe, I've just started UV and O3 over the past few weeks.

My water params are pretty solid, I'd like to see my Alk and Ca up. I need some time to pick up a CO2 tank and I can then plug in my MTC Pro Cal reactor to help in that area.

As for the snails, I need to do some research here. It's very troubling. And, a vicious cycle. Snails die, they don't eat algae. Why are the snails dying? I think it might be because of the algae. You see the irony?
Old 12/14/2006, 05:46 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I am pleased to report that may corals seem to be much happier .. unfortunately my computer is not and is fighting me on uploading some pics. I'll try from home and see if I have better luck there.

I still have patches of hair algae, but it does not grow back nearly as quickly after pruning. I am taking that as a great sign. And, my water has not been this crystal clear since I filled the tank.

I am still losing snails though!?

I picked up a dozen mexican turbos. I put four in the fuge and eight in the display. Those in fuge seem OK. I've lost four in the display in a week!?!?!

... As Dudester suggested, I may have to post in the invert forum for some advise or moral support in nothing else.
Old 12/16/2006, 09:00 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I stopped in at my LFS last night. Man I could have stocked a 300g tank with all the fish on my imaginary fish list they had in stock!

Since my remaining five fish : a couple of clowns; coral beauty; midas blenny; and a fox face lo, are all doing great, I'd like to think about restocking. They have recovered from all signs of ick. And, it's been about six weeks since I suffered through that dilemma.

So ... I've been working on getting my QT ready ( recently moved from back in my shop into the fish closet in my office) and I am ready to put a couple of fish in there. I am considering a pair of Hineochus butterfly or a trio of chalk bass for now. They had both available. I'd like to get a variegated rabbit too, but they aren't available but every so often.

I'd love to do a trio of Bartlett's anthias but I am on the fence about it for now. And ... they had those too.

I had a Hineochus in the display and one in QT, but lost the one in QT (when it was out in my shop) to a cold snap over a weekend when I could not get to the office and the one in the display to ick.

I also had a pair of orchid dottybacks and lost one in the move (I think it was an aquascaping incident) and one to ick. The chalk bass would replace the dottybacks. Not the I did not love the dottybacks, just something different.

I am also planning on setting up some dips and dipping all my existing SPS corals. In the past I've only used Tech-D for a dip, but I now have Interceptor, betadine, Lugols and a variety of dips available and have been doing much research on when and why to use them. It's just a preventative measure as I hope to add a few corals around Christmas time if Santa is good to me
Old 12/16/2006, 11:48 AM
Team RC Member

Good idea on the dips, definitely an invaluable exercise! Regarding your fish considerations, I love the look of a group of chalk bass, maybe even go up to 4 of them - very cool.
Old 12/16/2006, 01:02 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
Good idea on the dips, definitely an invaluable exercise! Regarding your fish considerations, I love the look of a group of chalk bass, maybe even go up to 4 of them - very cool.
I've been following your troubles with AEFWs and want nothing to do with those issues, best of luck there.

When I stared my first 26 g tank I flipped a coin between an orchid dottyback & a chalk bass, as I would not keep both n such a small tank. the orchids won and I really enjoyed them, and plan to have several in my large display when it is on line, I am thinking about 5 or so.

For this 120 g I'd like to try 3-4 chalk bass, the LFS had five last night. I won't't be able to get back until monday, so I hope they are still there.

I was really looking forward to have two hineochus they had two that were just under 2", a great size to add a couple to a system. I really liked my previous one a real crowd pleaser
Old 12/17/2006, 09:53 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's some pics from this week, my corals are starting to really look up!

Makes you want to reach in and pet it doesn't it?

My prostrata is thickening in the heavy flow of this system

This milli is really started to grow and sprout new tips

This was a small potato chip when I got it.

This small colony broke up in transit but is doing really well as three frags.

Old 12/18/2006, 03:15 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Picked up a pair of hineochus butterflys. They are drill acclimating for the QT right now.

I also got a coral or two, another gemmi, this one is green, I love gemmis, and my first stag coral it has beautiful blue tips.

I am acclimating those as well and then they will be dipped before going in to the system.
Old 12/22/2006, 06:12 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's my pair of heniochus butterflys in QT

They seem quite happy

The new gemmiferia, this is my third gemmi, I just love the fat fingered shape of these corals. This one was dipped in Interceptor and betadine, afterward it STN'd on the right side (you cab see where there is already some bleaching there in this pic). I've cut out the STN'ing section and will hope for the best. When colored up, this one has bright green polyps!

This is the new stag, my first attempt at a stag acro, very beautiful purple/blue tips on this one. It recieved the same dip treatment as the gemmi.

Old 12/22/2006, 06:17 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

This is my frag rack. Due to space restraints, it is in the fuge. I know the fuge purists won't approve, but it'll have to do for now. I plan to expand it across the whole half of the fuge tank.

I did stop skimming in my fuge. You may remember, I was running a ES 5 -3 in the fuge as a second skimmer during start up. I'd love to run two skimmers full time, but since pulling the ER, my macro has gone crazy in the fuge I a feel has made a positive impact on hair algae in the display. I must have been starving the chateo?
Old 12/22/2006, 06:31 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I haven't posted a full tank shot since September, so ... here's a full tank shot: