Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2006, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

now thats a tank
Old 01/01/2007, 05:11 PM
Patient Reefer

Some more stuff. I bought a used 125 to make a sump. I drilled three 85mm holes for 2 inch schedule 80 bulkheads, and one 45 mm hole for a 1 inch bulkhead.

The piece of wood is my drilling guide. I used a square hole so I could see what was going on and to allow the cooling water to flow better.

The Dart is the sump return. The "T" will supply sump water for two Gen-X PCX55HP pumps that will feed the dual becket skimmer.

My ugly silicone work in the sump/fuge. Fuge to the right. Also my three overflow drains plumbed to the sump. On the pipe in the fuge will be a ball valve to control flow into the fuge. All of the rest of the flow will go into the skimmer section of the sump. So far, I've use 24 ounces of pvc primer and 24 ounces of glue. I'm getting sick of the smell.
Old 01/01/2007, 05:32 PM
Underground Art Studio

Wow-nice job mflamb, the 120g looks so small beside the skimmer. Your plumbing looks great. Did the 85mm holes work nicely for the bulkheads? I think the heavy duty bulkheads are 3-1/4 inch which is around 82.5 - 6, it didn't seem to large?
Old 01/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

looking good
Old 01/01/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

when do you plan on getting water in this sucker?? looks like your getting fairly close to being ready
Old 01/01/2007, 05:58 PM
So easy a CaveMan

Looking real nice. The plumbing work is very clean. One thing though, you didn't leave your self much room over that skimmer cup, or is the picture deceiving?
Old 01/01/2007, 06:21 PM
Patient Reefer

ReefArtist...82mm would be perfect, but 85 works well with the large gasket that comes with schedule 80 bulkheads.
rsxs...Diane informed me that I will be putting hardwood flooring in about 600 sq. ft. of our house starting this month, so I'm thinking freshwater testing next month. I still have to finish some plumbing and the skimmer pumps. Then there's the lighting. If all goes well with the water test, I'll cycle the quarantine (thank you) and start making salt water for the 390!!!
CaveManOhio...I had a quick connect fitting added for the cup. The skimmer is just over 38 inches, with about 1.5 inches over it. Only requires 0.5 inch for removal. You have a sharp eye!!! Small amount of plumbing compared to yours.
Old 01/02/2007, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

found this for those of you that are interested in doing the great stuff wall http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...ories/ssid/472
Old 01/02/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

VERY NICE BUD WHEN I GET MORE ROCK I WILL POST PICS OF MY 600 GAL. TTY SOON
Old 01/03/2007, 10:52 AM
Patient Reefer

All the guys here told me to say hi to "the crazy 'rican"!?!?
Old 01/13/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

looks good. are you afraid of tangs eating the foam? or does it get harder than that? are you taking your time because you are afraid of the electric bill? hehehhehe
Old 01/14/2007, 02:29 PM
Moved out

Wow your sump and plumbing look great!!
Old 01/14/2007, 04:26 PM
Patient Reefer

Sidewinder770 and his mermaid (can't remember her name) both have it in their large reefs with no problems from Tangs. It is pretty hard. You can knock on it and it sounds like your front door. I'm being very careful with every detail of the build, so it's slow. My original called for saltwater in April/May, so I'm feeling good so far. I had a $1198.00 allowance setback when I wrecked the Mustang, and that has slowed me down a little. So I plow ahead. I've ordered 100 lbs of rock rubble to cement to my DIY rock for a more realistic look, and I'm looking for 600-700 lbs of sand for my DSB. Otherwise just plugging along.
Old 01/14/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

cool just got to mess with you a little
Old 01/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Patient Reefer

It's all fun. The TBRC guys are the funnest and most informative group I've ever met. Are you going to the meeting Saturday?
Old 01/15/2007, 09:27 AM
So easy a CaveMan

Have you decided on the reactors yet? Are there any pictures of the DIY rock available.
The time line goal on my system is way off. I was hoping for the end of the summer(last year). Now I'm just shooting for before I die.
Old 01/15/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

lol cave. I guess I should wish you luck with that.

mflamb I don't go to the meetings. I went to a couple but that was about it. one was to pick up money and the other was because I just built something for the host of the meeting. I know alot of the people in the tampa forum which is why I post alot there. always nice to talk to people you can put a face too.
if you need a reactor I will have a shuran jetstream 1 for sale very soon. about 6-7 months old. as soon as my tank sells it will be available. I don't care if you buy mine or not but honestly the shurans are the only ones worth having. my ph actually went up a full tenth within a week of adding it.
Old 01/15/2007, 10:08 AM
Patient Reefer

I'm looking seriously at GEO 618 Calcium reactor and the GEO Kalk reactor.
robthorn...what model is it???
Old 01/15/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

mine is a jetstream 1 .
I am a former owner of a geo 618. while it is a reactor and it works well it is not a jetstream. the difference is night and day. the co2 capture and recirculation is awesome on the shuran. I always had ph trouble when using the geo because co2 was dumped into the tank. this promotes a more acidic or less alkaline water. when I hooked up the shuran I was figuring to have a lower ph at least a little and it actually went up. I have an aquacontroller and didn't clean or even move the probe. when I used the geo I had to use a controller for the co2 but with the shuran I have only set the bubble count and it has stayed pretty much hands free for the entire time I have had it. I am just now needing to change the media. which I have alot of still. trying to sell before I have to spend days working on it. lazy I know.
Old 01/15/2007, 10:26 AM
So easy a CaveMan

I have no issues with my GEO. And I know of many other's that sware by them as well. I'm sure your Shuran is a nice product though.
Old 01/15/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

yeah like I said the geo was the jam when i had it. it wasn't until I switched that I noticed the difference. geo makes a fine product. workmanship was very nice also. the thing is the old technology. maybe he has decided to copy shuran now. that would make his things just as good maybe even better.
Old 01/15/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Great build.

I am new to this so I have nothing to add about the tank but I have a pool ball protection idea.

Have you considered a curtain on a track like they have around hospital beds? Of course the curtain would not be the same as in the hospital. When in the stored position against the wall it would help to block the space between the wall and stand from sight. I would be surprised if a pool ball would deflect a curtain more than 1 foot. You could always see for yourself by throwing a pool ball at a blanket on a clothes-line. An errant break would not be travelling as fast as a pitch.

Doing it this way you don't have to store a bulky sheild anywhere and the curtain can match the rest of the room/drapes.

I have long term dreams for an elaborate tank near a pool table and that will be my solution.
Old 01/15/2007, 11:41 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hey mflamb, I think I remember you saying something about curing your rock in your pool - is that true? How is it doing? I my be remembering wrong but aren't you concerned about the chlorine leaching? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be making some rocks and things out of clay, fire it and then cure it for a bit. I'm going to do some testing to see if after firing if it changes the parameters and if so, I have a pool and it would be great to use it to cure my rock if it's not a problem.
Old 01/15/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

6-7IN DSB DONT U THINK LIL TOO DEEP? I KNOW BIOLOGICALLY IS GOOD BUT U WOULD HAVE TO SIFT THE SAND ALL THE TIME,
IF NOT THE SAND GET HARD TOWARDS THE BOTTOM? JUST A THOUGHT. I'M AT WORK TODAY. LOL
Old 01/15/2007, 12:13 PM
Patient Reefer

Bubble-tip...I'm breaking away from the tank, and my cabinet guy has a system of shutters designed to match the stand/hood lumber for wild ball control.
ReefArtist...I thought about that recently, so I went to publix and got 5 gallons of their water. I tested chlorine and put 4 gallons of water in a bucket with some rock. I'll let it sit for a week with a power head and retest chlorine. GARF says to cure it in tap water. My pool chlorine is lower than my tap water.
Rican...Thats 600-700 pounds of sand, not 6-7 inches.