Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, double post due to using a blackberry on bay area rapid transit going in and out of tunnels!

Last edited by Nuuze; 06/27/2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Fliger,

What amp fuses did Greg send you? I just got a message from Alessandro that 15 amp fuses should resolve the issue. For some reason he is having trouble location them in the US. He says to contact directly and he'll air mail them to those that need them...HTH.
Old 06/27/2007, 02:30 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

LOL, old times. I remember when I had the original Palm V - I used to take the 30X from the Marina to Downtown. What a yuppy bus, everyone on their Palm Pilot and reading the soon to be Murdoch owned WSJ. My wife's Treo died yesterday and today she's setting up a business acct with Cingular. Hopefully I'll be adding my iPhone to that plan in about 56 hours. My SMS doesn't work with Sprint but should work with Cingular.

Thanks Nuuze for the legwork. Chad and I talked about this, 10 or 15 amp slow blows should work. I've blown through both. These are not common items in the US. I spent 2 days driving, calling, surfing - getting these in the right amp/volt/compact size (= more time, money). It worries me a little though - those should have been sent last week. I am 100% sure he got the request from Reefgeek. I think its great that Sfiligoi is coming out with new product, but honestly I'd love to see them fix the problems with the current line before they move on.

Edward - I've had things special ordered from Germany - my Aquasunlight NG, and my custom H&S skimmer and they both arrived very quickly. Like within a week. Glad that Giesemann is in that category.

So here are some equipment junkie pix.

A couple old B2 pix. The ph meter is really cool. So cool in fact its not in use, its on display.

Here is the SMS module. Waiting for my iPhone!

Here is the world's most exensive paperweight. Above it is the Geotronic chiller, I'm going to use that, along with one or two Profilux Breeze fans to cool the tank.

And here is the light I purchased. Its actually a great light - nice wide MH reflectors. This came direct from German - I had ordered it right before Aqua-Medic US in Colorado burned down.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/27/2007, 02:38 PM
High Plains Drifter

Too bad about the magnetic ballasts! Hope you can get that dialed in

iphone huh? I'm gonna wait until the next generatrion before spending the cash. I dropped like $400 on a 1st generation ipod. At the time it was state-of-the-art!!!! (10gig ) Won't be making that mistake twice.

For now, its all about the blackberry 8800 But I want soooo bad all the sync capabilities that iphone will have with my macbbok pro......

Anyways, I can't wait to see your tank in its full glory. You have a very beautiful set-up!!!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06/27/2007, 02:42 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Some co2 toys.

This regulator is heavy. I mean HEAVY. It fits in the palm of your hand. The weight of it made me feel better about the price tag. But I knew if I was ever going to run a ca rx again - I wanted great equipment.

With the guages.

Solenoid. Extremely solid. I love all the numbered, hand written warrantees with the smallest of items.

Bubble counter and doohickie

Old 06/27/2007, 02:53 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Whats up Jim! Yeah man I've read every article. But the timing makes it for me. My wife's Treo died yesterday. I hate Sprint and my plan ended a month ago. I love my Treo but Sprint doesn't work well with SMS. I'm a Mac household - and I need seemless connectivity between my iMac, Macbook - and now phone. Plus my new car has MP3 that works well with iPods - but I never have my iPod with me unless I'm working out. So I'm sure I'll want to upgrade in 12 months - but thats ok. To have phone, iPod, internet, PDA all rolled into one - offsets a couple of the downsides.

A couple pix of the reactor itself. The big grey container is the media. Hope to get a co2 cannister from Reefgeek but I told him to wait and send it with the fuses & T5 ballast.

Its very tall. BILL, where are your pix? Am I going to have to take them for you?

And speaking of great service - got a knock on the door an hour ago and saw the UPS man. I thought my fuses were here - but it was from Roger Vitko. A holder broke on my 6045 and he mailed me a new one, no questions asked.

Old 06/27/2007, 03:23 PM
High Plains Drifter

Wow!!! That looks REEEAAAALLL nice!! Gotta hand it to elos. Very nice stuff!!!

Yeah, my roommate is gonna get the iphone too.... I must admit, I'm pretty jealous!! We all run Mac's and have done so since college. It's so nice to have all the functions on one device. And for that device to run on Mac OS... well thats just a little slice of heaven! And I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it

I'll be tagging along, so hopefully there will be more pics in the future!!!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06/27/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

"Its very tall. BILL, where are your pix? Am I going to have to take them for you?"

Did Picasso display Les Mademoiselles d'Avignon after the first couple brush strokes?

I need a couple weeks lol
Old 06/27/2007, 05:50 PM

Do you actually have the iPhone with you? If so, how do you like it? I want one also for the same reason.. to go to the gym and stil have my phone in one device.

Nice equipment! We need some pics of your new tank!
Old 06/27/2007, 07:00 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Dave,

That is one awesome reactor!!! I also dig that room..modern decor! Props!! or I should say compliment to your interior decorator!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 06/27/2007, 11:51 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

LOL Bill - I'm sure he would have if he had the internet.

Edward - not yet. Just got back from AT&T and got two new Treos. I'm just happy to dump Sprint. Can't use Sprint in Europe, can't get texts from my B2, and I drop calls like crazy. Not sure if I'll stand in line Friday at 6:00 p.m. considering its probably going to be 110 degrees.

LOL HWG - thats my el cheapo Ikea restaurant office. Just head over to Emoryville or Palo Alto and you too, can have one! The other rooms in my home are furnished by my wife. She has much better taste than I do. No Ikea. Here is our living room - she loves Italian furniture. She also did a great job with the tank room - its all Tommy Bahama-ish, but I do a good job making it look like a high school science experiment.

Old 06/28/2007, 01:07 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Dave,

Reef TV Cribs....lol!!! Very sweet room and indeed your wife got good taste!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 06/28/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Very nice columns! Very Italian!
Old 06/28/2007, 02:33 PM
Team RC Member

Love the big open space, Dave, and those columns look like they could easily accomodate a nice tank in between'em!
Old 06/28/2007, 05:13 PM
TOTM- June 2007

Looking good David! I thought you moved? If you did it looks like the same house. Keep the pics coming!
Old 06/28/2007, 06:37 PM
I am a super nose picker

where is the tank in this very large room?I see a big TV.I also see a couch that looks to nice to lay down on(is it for guest's)
Old 07/02/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Hi David,

Surely Sfigiloi has sent you the new fuses by now. How are they working out for you?

Judging from the pic above that Aquasun NG is quite a performer, Look at that .....all the bulbs have fired

Later,

Chad
Old 07/02/2007, 12:22 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Hey Sidewinder - just a few more days of being the TOTM King! How will you enjoy your last few days of glory? We didn't move - had all sorts of delays with the new restaurant so it was too much to take on. I can't wait to move, though. So the boat hasn't been out in over six months. We're gonna try to get it up & running this week, then after next week, all the drawings are in and I have NOTHING to do for almost four months ... hint, hint ...

Hey Chad - we need some pix of your setup! The Aquasunlight NG actually is a really nice light, Sidewinder actually helped me order that - its got very large reflectors for a DE. My biggest complaint is the weight since all ballasts are internal.

But as of last Friday - Reefgeek STILL has not received the fuses. We are now in the fourth week since the last fuse blew. How many fuses did you actually end up going thru? I'm thru five, I have no idea how many they are going to send. All I can say about Sfiligoi to this point is ... just HOPE nothing goes wrong with your fixture. It seems like a great light if it works, but you're up $h#t creek if something does go wrong with it. And it seems like the vendors themselves have their hands tied - they really can't help.

ps, no iPhone yet. still trying to decide - wait for more reviews on internet speed. my new blackberry curve is painfully slow on the Edge (same as iPhone uses). played with the iPhone though - really sweet. maybe edward & hrg are reading this post from theirs.
pps, I hate thos colums.

Old 07/02/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Looks awesome.

I second that roger is a good guy. I'm spoiled having him in austin!!!
Old 07/02/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Looks awesome.

I second that roger is a good guy. I'm spoiled having him in austin!!!
Old 07/02/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I'll definitely get some shots up here soon. I'm trying to figure out how I want to cover the back wall now. I was using the reef ceramic rocks on the back wall but have since taken them out. Now I need to figure out how I will deal w/ covering the Ext. overflow from the front. I've seen another custom 225 on here and they used a sheet of acrylic and had the teeth cut out for the overflow. Sorry to the owner of the tank, My memory is failing me right now. I should remember becouse it is a sweat tank.

I think you are right w/ the dealer/distr. having their hands tied. Will I think actually picked up the tab to take care of me on my 3-400w IC E ballasts. It's a fix and I'm grateful to Will for doing what he did but Sfigiloi should of stood behind it's product and replaced it. I paid like yourself paid top dollar for these fixtures and we should of recieved that. Mine is working good so far but my T-5 frames are bent as well (shipping) and after taking mine apart a couple weeks ago I noticed it is very hard to take out and replace T-5 bulbs. Now I can worry about breaking T-5's any time I replace them. Here is a pic showing how my fixture was bent. as well a pic of how the tank looked when I first set it up w/ RC's.

Take Care,

Chad

[IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG]

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And one more showing how my fixture showed up. Don't let my son scare you. I did'nt even realize he was in the pic. I must of been excited about finally getting the fixture.

[IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 07/02/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

clownnrnd,

That sucks how your fixture arrived! Looking at the packaging it travelled quite a ways. Hopefully they can send you some replacement parts. I mentioned to Alessandro at Sfiligoi and told them that they should get a US based distribution center to avoid distant shipping from costs, time, customs and damages. Also trying to get them to rework the software on the ACLS to be able to control the actinics more and maybe come on before and after the halides. If things like this keep happening people will go elsewhere. The fixture is awesome but getting it one piece seems to be the problem.
Old 07/03/2007, 05:10 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

clownnrnd
Sorry to hear you about your fixtures...As Nuuze had mentioned, these fixture is awesome but I think some of the issue started during shipment...when I got my lights, it was packaged right and everything was intact.
I'm sill hoping I would not experience any of these misfortunes...

Btw, Flig.... I did accessed your thread on my new iphone...lol!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 07/03/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

sad part of it all is we were 7months into this since I had payed for it when I recieved it this way. Two different shipping companies had destroyed 2 fixtures before they even got to me and then this one was shipped via freight company.

Chad
Old 07/03/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Anyone know what this is? Escpecially the 90 bend with the siphon-thing. Is it something ELOS makes or is it DIY?
I think that could work well for my new tank..