Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye ME
And every person here wishes it was them making that much money.
No not really. More money, more problems. You don't need that much to be happy.
Old 04/28/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

I agree about the high taxes. But I think gas staions often raise prices as soon as they hear of higher gas prices of the incoming load of gas yet to be delivered while they still have gas of the previous delivery at lower costs.
Old 04/28/2006, 01:35 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Exxon's CEO got a 22% salary increase last year, its about $1.17 million a year plus bonus of another $1.25 million.

That's not all folks, Exxon's CEO has stocks award valued at $8.75 million and other company perks like use of aricraft etc valued at another $1.87 million.
thata nothing, guess how much lee raymond's retirement package was worth? $400 million. not too shabby eh?
Old 04/28/2006, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
raise prices as soon as they hear of higher gas prices of the incoming load of gas yet to be delivered while they still have gas of the previous delivery at lower costs
Think about what your saying...Maybe is some cases they do, but again it is a commodity. Oil is like every other commodity such as corn, silver, copper, steel, etc.

1. Gas stations make very little margin on the sale of gas. Already stated in a previous post.
2. They have to pay for the new load. So if the price is going up you have to cover that new cost of that load and the next and the next. I bet that they have very short payment terms.
3. It works the same when it is going down. If station A does not drop it then everyone goes to station B down the street.

This talk of record profits come on get off it. It is all relative. Are you going to worry about it when they in the red?

If gas is say $1.00 (and as previously stated they are profiting around 10%) then they are making .09 margin.

If gas is say $1.50 and they are making 10% then they are making .136 margin.

So as gas prices goes up so do profit dollars. But Exxon is not just artificially raising the market for no good reason. They have to compete against BP, China, Russia, and everyone else to buy that barrel of oil. Some companies maybe vertically intergrated an have some control over their costs, but very few are.

Agian, we are trying to blame big oil and it is not all their fault. Don't forget the ditrution in the gulf from the hurricanes, our elected officials, enviromentalist, regional wars such as in Nigeria (a large producer of oil), Iran's saber rattling, Asia's need etc. It all contributes to the cause.

Again, I use the bottle water. Nobody is complaining about the margin that is made on that. In fact what does a restaurant charge of coke or tea these days. $1.50 when it maybe cost them .50. In fact there is ice cube technology employeed at restaurants that increase the volume of ice so less beverage will fit in the glass. I don't see anybody crying about that. Well, maybe people will not have enough money after filling up to go to out to eat.

This is an hot potato issue fueled by the media and politicians. Joe Public has very little understanding of this complex issue. In fact I was reading today the no drilling is allowed off of Florida for what ever reason. But Canada, China, Spain are partnering with Cuba to start drilling within 50 miles of the Fl Keys. Now tell me that there is not something wrong with that picture.

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.
Old 04/28/2006, 09:20 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

So why when the cost of a barrel of oil jumped from $55/barrel to $60/barrel and the price of gas went up to $3/gallon from $1.50/gallon and then the price of that same barrel went back down to $55/barrel, why did the price of a gallon of gas only go down to, let's say, $2.40? What doesn't make any sense here? That barrel went from the $60 back down to the $55 in a few weeks but the gas took another few months to come back down to an even higher price than it was before that barrel of oil went up. Please justify this.
Old 04/28/2006, 10:03 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
So why when the cost of a barrel of oil jumped from $55/barrel to $60/barrel and the price of gas went up to $3/gallon from $1.50/gallon and then the price of that same barrel went back down to $55/barrel, why did the price of a gallon of gas only go down to, let's say, $2.40? What doesn't make any sense here? That barrel went from the $60 back down to the $55 in a few weeks but the gas took another few months to come back down to an even higher price than it was before that barrel of oil went up. Please justify this.
Oil prices are set by the commodities market. It might go from 55 to 65 and back to 60 in a matter of a few days. Gas prices are a result of an average of what the refineries are paying for the oil. They are not going to drop their rack price for gas until they know the oil prices are not going to spike back up on them. Oil went from 20 or so a barrel a few years ago up to just over 70. in that time gas ranged from like 150 to over 3.00 a gallon. We aint gonna see sub 2.00 per gallon again
Old 04/28/2006, 10:19 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Does everyone think the Oil supply is unlimited?
No-one remembers the law of supply & demand?
Demand is NEVER going to go down
Supply is NEVER going to increase
What oil there is on the planet - will run out

The only way alternative energy (solar, wind, & other fuels) will be if the can compete with the cost of oil/energy cyrrently in use

OR if the government starts giving these alternatives a better tax alternative & research $$ to improve their output

Put a windmill in backyards
Put 2 in mine
Put solar panels on my house, my shed

Create a solar collector that can be embedded in roads

It will have to happen, SOONER...or LATER

and fat cats will get fatter off of it
Old 04/28/2006, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
Does everyone think the Oil supply is unlimited?
No-one remembers the law of supply & demand?
Demand is NEVER going to go down
Supply is NEVER going to increase
What oil there is on the planet - will run out

The only way alternative energy (solar, wind, & other fuels) will be if the can compete with the cost of oil/energy cyrrently in use

OR if the government starts giving these alternatives a better tax alternative & research $$ to improve their output

Put a windmill in backyards
Put 2 in mine
Put solar panels on my house, my shed

Create a solar collector that can be embedded in roads

It will have to happen, SOONER...or LATER

and fat cats will get fatter off of it
My father in law is currently working to get wind turbines put on his farmland (since family farms have become a joke to the government) and all people in his area are doing is whining because they're "ugly".
Old 04/29/2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fat-tony
My father in law is currently working to get wind turbines put on his farmland (since family farms have become a joke to the government) and all people in his area are doing is whining because they're "ugly".
They were talking about doing a wind farm in Oregon I think it was and there was a big dust up because the birds might get killed by them. There is a proposal to site a windfarm in Nantucket sound and suddenly there is a concern over interferance with radar. It is all just NIMBY.
Old 04/29/2006, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

there's already one in our general area. The local town boards are starting this garbage to block things until they can come up with a "reason" to keep them out.
Old 04/29/2006, 02:10 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

What about the $100 crap that the you know who wants to pay all the tax payers? Do they not think these things through when they decide on these things? They send every tax paying citizen $100 because of the whole high gas price thing. Tax payer says "Hey, I'll use this to buy my gas with". They buy their gas with it. The $100 goes to Big Oil who in turn keeps raising their prices even more because of all the money they are now/still getting even though the gas prices are so high. Big Oil is thinking thank you for the extra $100 and now we'll just keep raising the prices more. Where is this not the stupidest idea you know who has ever come up with just to shut up everyone so they won't have to continue looking into why Mr. and Mrs. minimum wage now can't afford to go to work anymore and now live on unemployment or welfare because of the increasing gas prices?
Old 04/29/2006, 03:18 PM

The only "big oil" that can affect oil prices is OPEC. Oil is priced based on bids made by speculators. OPEC holds down production and the law of supply and demand takes over. Exxonmobil made a 9.7% profit margin in 2005. Microsoft earned over 30%. Why aren't the politicians demonizing Mr. Softy?
Old 04/29/2006, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

they are to a certain extent, that's why java is no longer included with windows.
Old 04/29/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

As I said early I drive a pick-up.

It is funny to see all the pick-ups on the road now with their tail gates down, going 70-80mph, think this may improve the gas mileage.

Mmmm, wonder if they ever think that maybe it is the speed that kills gas mileage.

I thought the reason that the Nantucket sound wind farm was killed was becasue the fat cats up their did not want their lovely ocean views messed. I thought Sen. Kennedy was opposed to that as well.

I would love solar on my house. In fact I was looking a tankless water heaters as an option to cut down the monthly gas bill. 3 daughters and a wife can drain a hot water tank in a heart beat.

Old 04/29/2006, 11:54 PM

3 daughters and a wife? Your spending more on hot water and shampoo than you are on your tank

I drive a crew cab diesel and anything over 70 stomps the mileage. We are talking the difference from 22~23 down to 16~17

I have a vented tailgate, no need to drop it.
Old 04/30/2006, 12:23 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I have an 03 GMC ext. cab Z71 which I have been driving for the last couple of months since my '95 Bonneville has been under the weather. I am now driving the '95 and saving more than 15mpg over the 03 GMC. A tank of gas in the '95 lasts me about 2 1/2-3 weeks compared to the GMC which only lasts a little over 7 days going back and forth 13 miles each way to work.
Old 04/30/2006, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Yeah and the daughters aren't even teenagers yet! LOL

isn't it a Montana law that any truck you drive must be a crew cab and optional diesel?

We just love the big sky country. If I could find a job that pays what I make in Goergia and then afford housing we would move in a heart beat. My probelm would be that I would become a trout bum instead of working.

Old 04/30/2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drouner
Yeah and the daughters aren't even teenagers yet! LOL

isn't it a Montana law that any truck you drive must be a crew cab and optional diesel?

We just love the big sky country. If I could find a job that pays what I make in Goergia and then afford housing we would move in a heart beat. My probelm would be that I would become a trout bum instead of working.
The crew cab is one of those stupid jokes people who don't understand Montana create out of ignorance. ITS THE GUN RACK IN THE BACK WINDOW THAT IS REQUIRED BY LAW!!!

I am on my way to Colorado in a few weeks. The political/economic climate in Montana is so screwed up. You can't find rural living as cheap as you can here unless you are willing to drive 50 miles one way to work but city dwelling is less for the most part, at least around where I live.
Old 04/30/2006, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

lol.

I thought the "Gun Rack Law" was only in rural WV, GA, AL, MS and LA. Of course I'm in volation of that law. I wonder if driving around with a fishing rod or fly rod is an acceptable subsitute?

What part of Colorado? I'll take that state as well.

Property in Montana has gotten to be pretty outrageous. Even in Colorado. The mountians of N. GA, NC, SC and TN have gotten that way here. All the rich folks for the North and "Half Backs" have pushed the prices up. There is that same ole supply and demand.

Half Back are Yankee retirees that move to the promise land of Florida and figure out it is too hot and move half way back to the North.

Old 04/30/2006, 04:25 PM
my member is registered.

i have af friend that pays about 200 a month for gas, thats about 2400 a year!. That is a GRIP!, i pay about 80-90 a month. I put in 24 dollars worth of premium the other day and only got half a tank!. That used to get a full tank of gas, and i only drive a subaru, i would hate to own a suburban.
Old 04/30/2006, 05:58 PM
Guardian of Little People

Rocketman, political commentary is not allowed on this board. I removed your post.

Reminder to everyone: keep politics out of the discussion.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 04/30/2006, 06:13 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Quote:
I thought the reason that the Nantucket sound wind farm was killed was becasue the fat cats up their did not want their lovely ocean views messed. I thought Sen. Kennedy was opposed to that as well.
They are trying to kill it...view...7 MILES off shore?
Plus the local politicians suddenly realized due to the distance from shore - no local taxes
Old 04/30/2006, 07:05 PM
Cubed Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
I agree about the high taxes. But I think gas staions often raise prices as soon as they hear of higher gas prices of the incoming load of gas yet to be delivered while they still have gas of the previous delivery at lower costs.
npr actually did a bit on this on thursday or friday.
the margin in most service stations is less then 5 cents a gallon. so if the prices go up, they ahve to raise prices to accomidate the purchase of the next truckload.

if thier margins were higher, they could afford to charge based on whats in their storage tanks vs. what its going to cost them to refill
Old 04/30/2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
lol.

I thought the "Gun Rack Law" was only in rural WV, GA, AL, MS and LA. Of course I'm in volation of that law. I wonder if driving around with a fishing rod or fly rod is an acceptable subsitute?

What part of Colorado? I'll take that state as well.

Property in Montana has gotten to be pretty outrageous. Even in Colorado. The mountians of N. GA, NC, SC and TN have gotten that way here. All the rich folks for the North and "Half Backs" have pushed the prices up. There is that same ole supply and demand.

Half Back are Yankee retirees that move to the promise land of Florida and figure out it is too hot and move half way back to the North.
Half backs, love it. I am moving to Aurora by Denver. The wife got a much better job there. Montana is a great place to live if you are retired or a government employee but if you have to work for a living.......
Old 04/30/2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joedelt
npr actually did a bit on this on thursday or friday.
the margin in most service stations is less then 5 cents a gallon. so if the prices go up, they ahve to raise prices to accomidate the purchase of the next truckload.

if thier margins were higher, they could afford to charge based on whats in their storage tanks vs. what its going to cost them to refill
Retail gasoline marketing is all about getting people into the store to by their smokes and beer. If they can pay for the utilities with the gas profits they are happy.