Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2007, 06:01 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by InvaderJim
He could have OCD.

Garage is lookin good.
My wife might agree with the OCD part occasionally

Thanks, hopefully it will work out quite well when I get the monster sump going. Sitting down today and figuring, may have changed the sump design from two (fuge and sump) connected via drains to one large sump/fuge in the shape of an "L". Only time and a tape measure will be able to help the decision
Old 02/21/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Good God Man! when you redo things you really redo them! you are stuck with me now
Old 02/21/2007, 06:25 PM

I really like the inbound and outbound sumps I have. No way for micro-bubbles to get back to the display.
Old 02/21/2007, 07:01 PM
Carpe Noctem

It's a great idea, but I still only have 11'X5" wetroom to work with I'm sitting here trying to play with sketch up to get the maximum filtration in the smallest footprint. If I run the L shaped sump, I would have a 24"X24"X24" fuge, with elevated chaeto basket and then a 6' run of sump for equipment and baffles.

Might be hard to describe, maybe I'll clean up one of the sketches and post it later
Old 02/21/2007, 07:44 PM

the fuge really needs to be a lot larger to have any real impact on the system, IMO. If you don't have the room, you might want to skip it.
Old 02/21/2007, 08:07 PM
Carpe Noctem

The numbers can be played with as far as dementions, but I thought a 60 gallon area to grow pods, house a bit of live rock and grow a big ball of chaeto would be beneficial. I know that if I wanted to throw out a RDSB, I would need a much larger foot print, but I was thinking that area would be sufficient for nutrient export through the chaeto and a predator free pod zone

I could easily make this area 24"X30"X24" or even up to 48"X30X24 and then shrink the sump area and move the equipment... I'm trying to keep the running depth of the sump/fuge at 24" for lighting purposes

Last edited by Hop; 02/21/2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02/21/2007, 09:17 PM
Carpe Noctem

Great! You get my head spinning, second guessing my thinking, crunching numbers and then log off, leaving me hanging
Old 02/21/2007, 09:22 PM

Yeah 24" deep is good enough for a fuge and I think no matter what, a predator free zone for growing pods, snails, etc. is a great idea. I have a small fuge on my system and after discussing this issue with notable reefers including Steve Weast, have concluded that in order to see a beneficial nutrient export a 200g+ tank would be needed. In fact, it really should be much larger based on what I have surmised from research. I have been seriously considering installing a 300+g display refugium myself. I really enjoy that part of the system and feel whatever size it is, I can use it for various purposes.

Just some food for thought. Steve Weast actually removed his fuge because he felt it just wasn't large enough to do the job.
Old 02/21/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

WOW.....You guys make my head spin! I suddenly feel like all I have is a goldfish bowl. I've spent the last 3 days reading your post Hop, WOW! I'm glad that you wife is doing well! I haven't posted much on RC, been on another site...Seeing as how I would love to do something similar to what you or Jonathan are doing I think I will be keeping tack of your progress! Thanks BTW for taking the time to put your life and hobby out there for the rest of us to learn from! My hat is off to you and Marc and the rest of you guys that have such a love and passion for this hobby and equal love and passion for sharing your knowledge! Many of us would not be here if it not for the encouragement and help from fellow reefers like you!

Thanks!!!

Oh yeah....I can't wait to see the tank up and running again!
Old 02/21/2007, 09:37 PM

I NEVER log off!
Old 02/21/2007, 09:39 PM

Ziggy953:

[welcome]

And I hear ya. If it weren't for reefers like Marc, Steve, Spazz, Weatherson, and Hop, I would never have been able to build my system.
Old 02/21/2007, 09:50 PM
Carpe Noctem

Ziggy953: Welcome aboard! Nice to see that someone out there is reading Sometimes I think I put too much out there that is not reef related. But it really does show how life influences the reef and vise-versa So again, welcome aboard and thanks. I hope when this is up and running it really helps people out on any scale and my knowledge improves as well, so I can help others!

jnarowe: Sorry, my friends list said you were busy doing something else
Old 02/21/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Well truth be told I found Marc's site one day doing a bit of research on a SW and it was his site that convinced me I could do it. Of course I stuck with the "its for my son" story to keep the grandparents chipping in!! (my son is 18 months old) As it turns out they like the tank as much as my wife and I do. My mother-in-law bought a beautiful trachyphyllia and told me after taking her to a LFS that she had no idea how beautiful a reef tank could be. I quickly told her that she could spend any amount of money that she wanted to when ever she wanted to!!!!!

Last edited by Ziggy953; 02/21/2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02/21/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

YIKES!!!! Sorry about the GIANT pic....I grabbed the wrong one....I meant put the thumbnail....sorry sorry sorry....
Old 02/21/2007, 10:02 PM
Carpe Noctem

LOL. just go back and edit your post real quick. Add the url for the thumb rather than the full sized pic

Or, just leave it and I'll change my screen settings
Old 02/21/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Fixed it....duh....Gotta love those little brain-poots
Old 02/21/2007, 10:10 PM

really nice pic though. Beautiful specimen.
Old 02/21/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. It is one of my favorites!!!
Old 02/21/2007, 10:24 PM
Carpe Noctem

Yup, very nice!

On a side note, keep your kid interested as long as you can A couple months before I tore the tank down, I actually had a group of elementary kids (my son included)come through the house for a tour of the tank. They were studying the ocean in class and I guess my tank was the closest thing around. It was fun to give a quick speal on the critters and how things work together in nature and answer questions. It was definitely the best tank related experience to date!
Old 02/21/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Oh I totally agree!!! My son and I spend a lot of time together looking at the fish tanks! I like many have more then one. I have a 55 planted community an few 10s the 72g reef and a couple of 5g picos...My son has his own little 5g guppy tank in his room that he loves. I make sure that we feed the FW tanks together and let him feed his own tank (with my help of course)
Old 02/21/2007, 10:45 PM
Carpe Noctem

OK jnarowe (Mr. Flood-in-ater) I just noticed that!

What about a 54"X30"X30" display fuge with a 6" DSB, rock and chaeto. I could then run about a 42"X24"X24" sump. I might have to move a little equipment, but the footprint of the wetroom wouldn't change? Otherwise I'm going outside with a tape measure and a beer and contemplate the world and my planning

I would like to get this figured soon as when I get back from Kansas, the wetroom is getting gutted and I'll start building the framework and finishing off all the supporting structure so I can get the acrylic ordered... So now is definitely a good time to throw ideas back and forth
Old 02/21/2007, 10:55 PM

Hey, you said it first!

I think 210g fuge is probably a good size considering your space constraints. I would NOT put in the RDSB unless you are fully prepared to remove and replace 1/3 of the sand about every six months. Otherwise you are just creating a nutrient sink. That means complete access to the entire fuge.

I will probably move my RO/DI reservoir outside when I do some landscape changes and free up some tank room.

The question is, will the sump be large enough for your equipment? Will your skimmer be in-sump? Seems like 100g would be OK. I am not a fan of giant sumps. I just like to have enough capacity to run things and absorb water from an electrical outage or rare case of exploding skimmer.
Old 02/21/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I've not heard of replacing 1/3 of the sand in a RDSB (how deep exactly is that?) what is the reason there?
Old 02/21/2007, 11:35 PM
Carpe Noctem

How about something like this? this is not to scale.
Old 02/21/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow! That's a heck of a sump/fuge....what's the small section elevated on the right? What were you planning on flow from the fuge into the sump, bulkheads?