Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2006, 10:07 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Everything else on a panworld is the same as iwaki, so i doubt that the fan comes off any differant.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 05/16/2006, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

pump mod

Just a thought...

I just bought a Blueline 40 HD-x, which is similar to a Pan World 100Px-x. And yes it's fan is noisy,too. I was thinking why not just get one of those inexpensive clip fans or small desk fans and use that to cool the pump. They certainly have more than enough flow than the pump fan, and are pretty quiet. You can mount them just about anywhere
Old 05/16/2006, 05:58 PM
On "The List"

I think that idea was discussed several pages back, and the concern was that the airflow wouldn't be as focused on the pump body with a clip on as the OEM fan setup. The heatsink and PC fan should pull more heat off the pump and use less energy than a clip fan.

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 05/16/2006, 06:40 PM

And modern heatsinks are designed by thermal engineers to cool extremely sensitive processors. Desk fan is well um a desk fan .

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 05/16/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

haha how about make a box that sits around an air vent or a window unit a/c and put all pumps inside and let the a/c cool them? Or setup a window unit to come on when the pumps reach a certain temp.
Old 05/17/2006, 12:10 AM

I believe the name of the thread is Ultra "QUIET" Pan World Mod. I am sensing that a window unit may be slightly louder than the stock fan, although it would probably keep it from overheating.
I do have another mod planned though that combines another popular RC mod with this one. First we get a old dorm fridge. Drill a hole in it and put the pump inside. The pump will run very cold and the insulation from the fridge will contain the noise. I plan to name this thread Ultra "COLD" Pan World Mod .

Old 05/25/2006, 12:16 PM
Flowalicious

Any update on pumplife here?

Trying to decide whether i want to order a pair of blueline ns800s.
Old 05/25/2006, 06:24 PM

My pump started to smoke, then heated the water by 20 degrees, started to go clunk clunk clunk and then caught on fire.
But you were probably asking about my Panworld not the Rio right?
I have since upgraded the pump to a 50 px-x and haven't put the mod on it yet. I will during the next week or so and then give an update to it's performance. This pump kicks butt! It is interesting that it runs a little quieter than the 50 px stock. I guess the pressure rated pumps just whine a little louder.

Old 05/25/2006, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

I am also interrested to hear if anyone has tried this on Iwaki's???
Old 05/25/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I dremelled the shaft off and set up a peltier chip with a heatsink. Probably draws more power, but the motor is cold and adds a little coolness factor.
Old 05/25/2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychotic
I dremelled the shaft off and set up a peltier chip with a heatsink. Probably draws more power, but the motor is cold and adds a little coolness factor.
Yep we gonna need a pic.

Old 05/26/2006, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Hey dandy7200 how much did this mod add to the backside as compared to with the stock fan on? I am having a major noise issue but my pumps are kinda close to my sump so space is a concern. Thanks
Old 05/26/2006, 04:04 PM

Around 2".

Old 05/27/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I've given this my best effort, but I can't get the fan off the back of my gen-x 55 pump.

Here are some pictures and maybe someone can lend a helping hand.

I was able to get the clip off the fan, but I could not remove the fan. I took off the 3 screws that hold the back of the pump together but all that happened was the housing spun, I couldn't remove the housing either. I screwed everything back together and turned the pump back on.

Please mind the dust on the fan blades, I cleaned them after the pictures.

Old 05/27/2006, 11:07 AM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
If you have removed the clip, then it should just take some prying. My pump took a bit more prying than I thought it should. the salt creep and dust can work its way in and make it stick.

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 05/27/2006, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Thats a different fan from the one thats on a PCX 40 . My PCX 40 has a metal fan with a setscrew that holds the fan blade on the shaft. If you have removed the clip , it should just pry off the shaft.
Old 05/27/2006, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

You do not need to remove the metal housing that is between the fan and the wet end. Put those 3 screws back in. Then you should be able to gently pry the fan off if the "C" shaped spring clip has been removed.
Old 05/27/2006, 12:10 PM

Yep it takes a little more prying than what you think it should. Try spraying with a little wd40 or other penetrating lube and letting it sit for a few minutes. Put a stiff blade putty knife inbetween the housing and the fan and gently pry until it starts to work its way loose. If that fails or you are uncomfortable placing that much pressure on the pump, call the manufacture on Monday or try Google for a pdf manual there could just be a set screw in there where you can't easily see.

Old 05/27/2006, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

I would use 2 putty knives.One on each side of the fan as an extra precaution to keep from getting it in a bind, or cracking the fan blades.
Old 06/01/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Guys, I was able to get the fan off, and it really does help a lot with the sound, now there is just a little whin to the pump.

I have drilled the heat sink and am in the process of installing it on my gen-x 55 pump, but I have a question. The fan needs a power supply of 12V @ .14A. I have a power supply laying around that is 15V @ .2 A. Will this work?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06/01/2006, 09:48 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisrush
Guys, I was able to get the fan off, and it really does help a lot with the sound, now there is just a little whin to the pump.

I have drilled the heat sink and am in the process of installing it on my gen-x 55 pump, but I have a question. The fan needs a power supply of 12V @ .14A. I have a power supply laying around that is 15V @ .2 A. Will this work?

Thanks,
Chris
It depends on the fan.

But, generally from what I've seen, yeah, a computer fan will run on 15v.

What you could do though, if you're worried, is do a little math, and figure out what size resistor you need to put in front of it to get a 3v drop.
Old 06/01/2006, 10:10 AM

Pretty much all red LEDs have a forward drop of 2V. Blue, white, UV and some green LEDs have a forward drop of 3.4V. So you could just add a light to the setup in series and be good to go.

Old 06/01/2006, 10:11 AM
I love lamp

It will run faster and louder than it should as well as shorten the life of the fan. Make the trip to radio shack and get what you need and save yourself the hassle.
Old 06/01/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I tried to stick a red LED inline, but I'm still not getting any power to the fan. This fan has three wires, red, black and yellow. In the past I've used just the red and black, do I need to wire the yellow to something?

I couldn't find any artic silver in my town, but Best Buy did have something called Silver thermal compound, which I believe is the same stuff.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06/01/2006, 12:22 PM

Yellow is the switch wire, you don't need it. Red is hot, black neutral.