Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 04:22 AM
El Jefe de WRS

They diffuse turbulence... like a spraybar. You can get similar effects through other methods, like simply adding more height, but this would put more back-pressure on the air intake of the pump. Or, you could use multiple smaller pumps rather than one large one, as most large pumps w/o a diffuser would turn a shorter skimmer into a whirlpool. The bubble plate allows one large pump to be used on a skimmer body that would be shorter, and sometimes narrower than usual by cutting down the turbulence. By cutting down the height, another benefit is less back-pressure on the air intake of the pump, so you get more air for less wattage, etc... its a win-win all around.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

I see. Thanks for the info. I am about to dive into my first DIY skimmer, and I am trying to not screw up more than about half of what I try
Old 12/04/2007, 11:25 PM
Real Cool Guy

More pics! Very cool project. I'd love to check it out some time. I use a laser at my work but it's an older engraving style not the fun CNC kind
Old 12/04/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Hey Hahn, you definitely have a grasp of this stuff...

ReeferRyan stated: "What does a bubble plate do, and why are they necessary for high performance skimmers."

SO one thing I am curious about: What about the difference between open bottom bubble chambers versus closed?

It seems that landy went with a completely closed bubble chamber. Why not have some holes in the bottom? It seems that if some of the pressure from the pump was relieved by some vents low in the chamber, then that would reduce turbulence from escaping from the top with the bubbles. I would think you'd want the bubble free water to escape from the bottom and allow the bubbles to 'freely escape' from the top without being 'blown' through the top. I guess it's a balance thing and hard to adjust after the build?

Stu
Old 12/05/2007, 12:11 AM
DIY Junkie

It's fairly easy to do with a semi-closed bubble chamber....You have a typical closed bottom bubble chamber, but you run a line out of the bottom going back to the recirc pumps intake, throw a gate valve on that line for adjustments and voila! you have complete control of how much of the recirc's output is being "blasted" out through the top of the diffuser.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Awesome craftsmanship!!!!!
Old 12/06/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stugray

It seems that landy went with a completely closed bubble chamber. Why not have some holes in the bottom? It seems that if some of the pressure from the pump was relieved by some vents low in the chamber, then that would reduce turbulence from escaping from the top with the bubbles. I would think you'd want the bubble free water to escape from the bottom and allow the bubbles to 'freely escape' from the top without being 'blown' through the top. I guess it's a balance thing and hard to adjust after the build?
it wont be that hard to adjust after its build. these parts are removable and replaceable. I'm sure i will make a few more bubble plates to try out, and i may end up venting the bubble chamber back to the pump, if it is necessary.

landy
Old 12/06/2007, 09:13 PM
Real Cool Guy

Landy, if you want to come by and check out how the Reeflo bubble plate is done let me know. I'm sure you've seen a lot of pictures but seeing it in person always helps.

Chet
Old 12/07/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chetm2
Landy, if you want to come by and check out how the Reeflo bubble plate is done let me know. I'm sure you've seen a lot of pictures but seeing it in person always helps.

Chet
i will keep that in mind. thanks for the offer!!

landy
Old 12/13/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Any updates
Old 12/13/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radone
Any updates
Again, not as much as i would like.

I finally got the reducer heat formed, 2 jigs and 3 pieces of acrylic latter.

My lady is cutting it as we speak, when she gets home I will post a picture.

That is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle. If I didn’t have to go out of town tomorrow and into the weekend, I might get it assembled. But what can you do, work pays the bills.

landy
Old 12/17/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

late but worth the wait

landy
Old 12/18/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Sweet Landy! Just ran across this thread. PM returned
Old 12/18/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Man that is turning out great! I look forward to seeing how it performs!
(Click my Red House)
Old 12/24/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

About an hour after installation.

I did a freshwater test for 1 hour. Then I ran with tank water outside for about 12 hours closed loop first. It holds about 15 gallons.

I have been trying to tune it in. Its seem like it could use about 6 more inches of reaction chamber. It cant handle the dart wide open unless I drop the water level down past the reducing flange. I have pretty much left the air valve wide open.

The body looks like milk compared to the beckett skimmer I have been running, but is more turbulent that I would like to see. I may have to change the bubble plate, or as hahn and others have suggested, vent the diffuser back to the dart with a gate valve.

The diffuser chamber has a great circle motion to it, i will see if i cant take some video of it or something.

landy
Old 12/24/2007, 03:22 PM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Really looking good there bub!
Old 12/24/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

my skimmer wouldnt tune for about 2 weeks, until it "broke in" it overflowed alot, or the head height would colapse with very little adjustment. Hopefully it will be more tunable in some time. It looks really good!
Old 12/24/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Just curious whats the dimensions of the tubing used for the reaction chamber and and bubble diffuser chamber?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chin_lee
Just curious whats the dimensions of the tubing used for the reaction chamber and and bubble diffuser chamber?
12" by 1/4" for RC
8" by 1/4" for bubble diff

landy
Old 12/27/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

i think it might be starting to get broken in.. if i would quit messing with it, i might start to get some real skimmate.

i still think the main body is a bit to turbulant, but i want to give it some time to see what happens.

landy

Last edited by landy; 12/27/2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:11 PM
Real Cool Guy

Looks pretty good to me. You done good More Pictures please!
Old 12/27/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

thanks chetm2!

as for more pictures, anything in particular?

here is a .gif trying to show the circular turbulence in the bubble diffuser.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:58 PM
Real Cool Guy

Do you think the bubble diffuser is big enough? How about some pictures of the main body and at the neck. What about a little video of it in action? Very cool either way.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

love diy skimmers....this one is very cool....
Old 12/27/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Yeah it does look like it needs a little more height. Awesome job on it, that thing looks very proffesional.