Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 01:02 PM
Excuse My French...

Hodge:

I would definitely scrub the hair algae.

And I would also cure the new rocks in a SW bucket before placing in the tank. If plenty of stuff if falling from the rocks when directing a powerhead to them, it is not "well cured". Some die-off has inevitably happened during shipping.

I know by experience that not enough curing at the beginning is accumulating pain in the *** for the future: Massive nitrates and phosphates levels triggerring massive algae bloom... Endless water changes... Etc...

I have come to the conclusion that too much of curing causes no significant troubles compared to not enough curing.
Old 09/09/2007, 02:19 PM
Genuine reef addict

michaelaz - I'm not sure if the mechanical filter is really needed or not. I originally made it to use with the Tunze. I suppose a lot of the stuff being caught by it would be caught by whatever you have for filtration in the pump compartment. I've been tempted to pull mine out, and may do that if I ever stop messing things up in the tank. The water flow through the back would be further improved if I did. I think most of the stuff in the bottom of my skimmer compartment is gritty. I don't think I'd want anything in there to eat things, as I wouldn't want a snail plugging up the skimmer pump or climbing onto to ATO sensors.

Hodge - on the rock Laurent has some good comments. It might be worth your time to scrub any algae off the first rock before adding the new. I got my cured LR in 2 separate batches also, but never saw any die-off with either, nor did I ever measure any ammonia (with 3 different test kits being used). I think I was extremely lucky in that regard. I did treat the tank twice with bio-spira though, as I really rushed things and had fish in the tank a few days after the first rock. My rock was either really well cured, or the bio-spira worked well, or both. I think it was both.
Old 09/09/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Well here’s a Mod to the Max that I have come up with that might help people out there. I woke up this morning to my powerheads blowing bubbles. They were being chocked due to lack of flow from the carbon blocking the chamber. What I decided to do was make a filter media box that would accommodate Chemi-Pure Elite and be able to fit in the first chamber above the skimmer pump. The box was made out of egg crate and measures 6 ½ tall X 3 Inches X 2.5. I wanted to be able to fit the box inside that first chamber. I felt the chemi-pure would be most beneficial in that area with the water first entering the filtration chamber. The box is a little smaller than the area it is in so flow will not be hindered. So far I have noticed that the water level in the return pump chamber is much higher and the skimmer seems to be working better. I’m not sure if the skimmer working better is due to the chemi-pure being added or not. Time will tell on that one.

I have a few pics of the Mod if someone can tell me how to add them.
Old 09/09/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Saltyreeftank - I use www.photobucket.com Make an account then browse your pc using photobucket's site to locate your pictures - > Click the Upload button -> Then copy the IMG code they provide under the picture you uploaded and paste it in your thread post here and it will automatically show your picture on your posting. Hope that helps =)
Old 09/09/2007, 03:34 PM
Genuine reef addict

michaelaz - I took the Tunze 9002 back out of the box and took some pictures of the mounting bracket still attached from my ill-fated install. NOTE: my position on the bracket was adjusted to fit on the right side of the skimmer chamber, not on the left, so the height of the skimmer on the bracket would be different if mounted on the pane of glass by the heater chamber.

Closeup of the top of the bracket. The bottom screw is used to tighten it up a bit onto the glass/edge, and the top screw is then adjusted to level it & further tighten it. It takes some in and out of the tank to get it set to the correct water level, and per Tunze you can have the water line marker on the skimmer a bit above the actual tank water line (stronger pumps in USA). You obviously don't want to overtighten it to the point of cracking the glass. The tank edge would sit right below the bottom screw:

And here's the cup on my remora after a few days - dark skimmate. A fair amount on the neck too, but it sure beats trying to clean that gunk out of the top of the RSM skimmer chamber.

Old 09/09/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Titans: Thanks, hopefully the photos will work.

So far this has method has been working well. The skimmer is still producing foam where before I was getting nothing, and the water level in the return pump chamber has not gone down.

I also decided to put the media box in the first chamber so it would be easier to get to when it needs to be replaced.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...nk/IMG_122.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...nk/IMG_121.jpg

Last edited by saltyreeftank; 09/09/2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09/09/2007, 04:52 PM
Genuine reef addict

Nice mod saltyreeftank! Anything to keep that flow going good through the back will help. by the way - if you click once on the bottom link under a pic in your Photobucket gallery, it should automatically copy the IMG link. In your post, go to a new line & Ctrl/V (hold down the Ctrl key & hit the v key) and it will paste in the image code, and it will show the pics after you submit the reply.

No big deal - we can also see them by clicking the links as you posted them.
Old 09/09/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack: Thanks for the info on the photos. I will give that a try next time around.

I was pleased to see that the water level in the return pump chamber seemed to be much higher. The skimmer working better was an added bonus. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 09/09/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Great news ! I was able to get the Tunze to work ......................

In my frag tank . I gave up on the RSM Tunze mod and decided to switch the AquaC on my frag tank with my Tunze.

So far both skimmers are up and running, At this point my only concern with the AquaC is the micro bubbles in the RSM, I will let it run a few days and "settle in" if you will but the the skimmer already was broken in, so time will tell.

On the bright side I have a extra unopened AquaC Remora w/ Maxijet1200 I am looking to sell, PM for details, I will listing it for sale forums in a few days but figured I would give RSM owners few dibs.
Old 09/09/2007, 08:36 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi michaelaz. Bummer on the Tunze - could you not get it mounted or ??? Was there supposed to be a picture in your post? I see a lot of blank space after "able to get the Tunze to work........." as if a pic should have been in there.

I'm still getting a very few microbubbles with the Remora but a lot less than at the start, and less than with the RSM skimmer. I think some may actually be coming from the circ pumps as my DIY filter seems to drop the level a bit in the pump chamber. I'm about at the point that I don't think I'll ever be totally microbubble free, and at low levels they don't have a negative effect on anything. I'd guess that an actual reef is not microbubble free either. I'm about to throw in the towel and embrace my remaining microbubbles as friends
Old 09/09/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

I just "inherited" from a friend that is moving out of state a Red Sea Max and I have a problem that maybe someone can help with. I cannot seem to get the Moonlights on. Has anyone ever experienced a problem with theirs?

TIA!
-Mike
Old 09/09/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Brooklynfish - My first moonlight went out last weekend and now the second one just crapped out on me. Looks like you may have a dead LED or some other issue...Call RSM for tech support...if you can get your buddy's receipt they'll send you over a replacement and instructions.
Old 09/10/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

thrillman
all the parts are included mate, reefmack has included some pics of his tunze skimmer set up but to the tunze instructions these pics may help also to identify some parts. oh and remember that the top screw needs about 15mm cut off the thread as its to long for the heater compartment..

reefmack
thanks heaps for putting those pics up for me
much apreciated.
the remora is producing some nice gunk mate, im still fine tunning the tunze but i think ill have it set perfect in the next couple of days
Old 09/10/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

titans
gday mate, its not identical but almost just made by a different company i think. yeah the flow on mine is fine for a QT. its not neck breaking but its ok. probably would be good for a seahorse tank aswell...
i dont think you would want anymore its perfect for the new critters to relax and settle after there big ordeal....
Old 09/10/2007, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

(I'm about to throw in the towel and embrace my remaining microbubbles as friends) -reefmack-

you certanly have a way with words.
i think your right, the MBs will possibly be with us forever,
i am still getting the smallest amount but i can live with them.
Old 09/10/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

michaelaz
thats a bummer on the skimmer mate.
i tried to draw the pic as best as i could,
what happened, why wouldnt it fit....
Old 09/10/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

galderman

WOW dude thats amazing i cant belive the light would do that, what made you check the light, was it because of the perfect half/half look of the coral or what.
i can tell you i wouldnt have thought of the light, now i know ill remember that one....
Old 09/10/2007, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

Saltyreeftank - great idea! I'm going to have to try that one. My Chemi-Pure Elite is on top of my chiller pump at the moement. So far it's ok but the water in the return is low. I bet this should really improve it.
Old 09/10/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titans
Brooklynfish - My first moonlight went out last weekend and now the second one just crapped out on me. Looks like you may have a dead LED or some other issue...Call RSM for tech support...if you can get your buddy's receipt they'll send you over a replacement and instructions.
Yep, that's what I figured, but wanted to see if it was something else. I'll see if he can call red sea for replacements.
Old 09/10/2007, 06:38 AM
Genuine reef addict

brooklynfish - Welcome to Reef Central and our RSM Owners Club! Sorry you have the moonlight problem. Getting whoever you got the tank from to call RSM support is probably the best idea, as they may the receipt & particular information that may be needed. Tell us a bit about your "inherited" tank - did it come with live rock, fish, critters, corals? Or do you have to set it all up from scratch? Be sure to visit RSMreefers.com also - it's a site that MAXreefer set up for us RSM owners and has a lot of owner tank pictures as well as a lot of other information on the RSM:

http://rsmreefers.com/index.html

Good luck with the tank! If we can help just ask.
Old 09/10/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

I just sent payment for my RSM this morning. I'm pretty excited, hopefully it comes (ebay purchase). I've been trying to read this thread to figure out what I need and I've read a lot but not all.

First of all I'm going to be breaking down my 65 gallon to put in here. So I'll use the live rock and sand I already have. I also have a lot of other basics like magfloats and such.

What I plan on ordering from foster and smith.
1 or 2 hydor rotating flow deflectors. (undecided on how many)
1 koralia nano

Anybody think of anything else?

Also has anyone registered their tank with RS online? I think it might be beneficial given the issues they have. I'm worried they might give me a hard time since it's an ebay purchase but it is shipping right from them.

Thanks
Old 09/10/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

gday bookpile

congrats on the purchase, i think thats about it for the moment, but as you probably already know marine tanks can dry your pockets pritty quickly depending on what options you want to add.

good luck with the tank mate, hope you enjoy it......
Old 09/10/2007, 07:01 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hi and welcome to the "club" bookpile! Ihaven't but should register my tank. I keep forgetting. I wouldn't worry about the Ebay purchase - it should qualify for support no matter where you buy it. Just be sure to keep whatever could be considered a receipt in case you need it to get parts from RSM support. Sounds like you'll have everything needed. All I can think of at this time is that eventually you need to replace the white filtration pads. I use the Blue Bonded Pads from F&S & just cut to the size of the RSM white pad:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...1&N=2004&Nty=1

Anybody else think of anything he'll need?
Old 09/10/2007, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

bookpile: I made a similar move that you are making. I transferred all of the contents from my 58 gallon into the Max. I think you will be fine if the RSM is being shipped from them as far as registering the tank and getting tech support. Just make sure before you accept the package that the tank is not broken. On the first RSM I received the back piece of glass was shattered. RSM was great about it and sent me a new one the next week. Just don't sign for it if the tank is damaged.

What I would suggest for starters is 2 Hydor Flo's and I would rethink the Koralia Nano. I have a Koralia 1 on its way and it should be here next week. In the meantime I put the Koralia #2 that I had in the RSM to keep things moving around. Now I am thinking about just keeping the #2 in there. Other than the size of the unit it seems to be working really well.

Have you ever had a Koralia before?

If not search some of the forums to get an idea of what people think of them. Don't get me wrong I think they are great and very reasonably priced. Since the flow is widespread I would be concerned that you will not be satisfied with the flow that comes from the Nano. Just a thought.

Good luck with your new setup.

Last edited by saltyreeftank; 09/10/2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09/10/2007, 07:17 AM
Genuine reef addict

Just my opinion, but I like the Koralia #1. Some have said the #2 has too much flow and of course is a bit larger than the #1. The #1 is almost too much flow for me at times, only because of the placement of the corals. I didn't even know the Koralia Nano had already been released.