Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2007, 12:53 AM
I buy in bulk!

I have the NW200 coming. I am pretty handy and didnt see the point in spending another $180 for an already recirc'ed one. Plus I like to disassemble and make it "more better"

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 08/04/2007, 12:58 AM
DIY Junkie

You'll be fine. really, $200 isn't bad even if all you use is the body...but I think you'll be fine.
Old 08/04/2007, 01:00 AM
I buy in bulk!

It just sucks when a company makes a change to a good product and ruins it all to save themselves a couple of bucks.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 08/04/2007, 01:01 AM
DIY Junkie

I agree!! but, what do you really expect from china?
Old 08/04/2007, 01:03 AM
I buy in bulk!

The same pump everyone else has been having outstanding results with!

Old 08/04/2007, 01:26 AM
DIY Junkie

i guess my sarcasm didn't come through
Old 08/04/2007, 01:56 AM
I buy in bulk!

Yours did I guess you missed mine.

Old 08/04/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

thanks everyone for your responses... i guess now i have the decision of the octopus and prob DAS. if i would get the octopus with the old pump hwat size of pump would i need???
Old 08/06/2007, 10:36 AM
I buy in bulk!

Alright how do I tell if I have a new or old pump? It has 2 needle wheels but it was mentioned that it is actually the diameter ... I am guessing the diameter of the needle wheels themselves?!?

Old 08/06/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

If it is the otp 3000 pump, then you are fine. I have an original version of the skimmer. My impeller only has 2 sets of needle wheels. I ordered an additional impeller and it is the new one. It also has 2 sets of needle wheels, just the diameter is shorter. If you do the mesh mod, just make sure the mesh is the diameter of the old needle wheel. (I don't have the sizes on hand, but it is in the mod thread.)

Note: I did not cut off any needles when I did my mod on my original needle wheel. I used 2 layers of enkamat on top of the needles.
Old 08/06/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Will the das ex-2 work than the Octopus 200 recirc, they are both about the same price.
Old 08/06/2007, 01:22 PM
I buy in bulk!

Yes it does in fact say Octopus and OTP-3000, so I should be good, right? To mod it I just need cut the enkamat slightly larger than the size of the actual needlewheels, at least with this impeller?

Old 08/06/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

the DAS ex-2 is better than the octo 200 recirc
Old 08/06/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

'Yes it does in fact say Octopus and OTP-3000, so I should be good, right?'

make sure you post your results on the octopus mod thread. it'd be interesting to see what numbers you get with the new pump..
Old 08/06/2007, 02:22 PM
I buy in bulk!

I dont have a dwyer. Have to see if someone local has one of those and a killawatt I could borrow.

Old 08/06/2007, 02:38 PM
One Good Friend

True

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
the DAS ex-2 is better than the octo 200 recirc
True Kody, but you could recirc the octo 200 for 5 bux and save 250 bux.
Old 08/06/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowCobra
Yes it does in fact say Octopus and OTP-3000, so I should be good, right? To mod it I just need cut the enkamat slightly larger than the size of the actual needlewheels, at least with this impeller?
Yes. It is the same pump as the old one. Just a smaller impeller. With the old impeller, the wattage was higher. The smaller impeller uses near the stated 65w. Here is the difference in the impellers (I hope this shows up ):
Quote:
Originally posted by squin
Here's the old needle wheel vs new.

old needle wheel diam. - 2-1/4"
new needle wheel diam. - 1-7/8"

-Chuck
Old 08/06/2007, 04:09 PM
I buy in bulk!

Yes it does show up charles, thanks for showing me the comparison. I thought that the needlewheels had a bit of extra room inside the housing just on exam of it.

So pretty much if I use the enkamat and make it around 2" it should be small enough to prevent any binding yet a bit larger than the new design needlewheel.

Old 08/06/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[
Yes. It is the same pump as the old one. Just a smaller impeller. With the old impeller, the wattage was higher.
-Chuck
Actually there are fewer windings on the motor. Completely lower grade pump with the same nameplate and price. .
Old 08/06/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Luke,
You are correct, I was just saying it is better out of the box, after being recirced, mesh moded, gate valved etc. the octopus nw200 is just as good.
Old 08/06/2007, 06:58 PM
I buy in bulk!

So if this pump is a POS, what should I get for a replacement? Or3700? Sedra 5 or 900, or?

Old 08/07/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowCobra
So if this pump is a POS, what should I get for a replacement? Or3700? Sedra 5 or 900, or?
May not be practical to replace the pump. By the time you add the fitting required the foot print becomes pretty large.
Old 08/07/2007, 05:23 PM
I buy in bulk!

I have plenty of space, its a 100gal sump. With that said, I am open to suggestions.

Old 08/07/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

With all the exparts on this thread, i want to see some tank pics.
I know alot of peaple use ASM and they have very nice tanks.
I have used a G2 with a 5000 and it was killer.Now i use a RC135.
Old 08/07/2007, 05:49 PM
I buy in bulk!

If it was so killer, why the switch?

ASM, in my opinion, is a good product. Dollar for dollar though it can not compare to the Octopus.