Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2006, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Grim- I am in no way defending the seller as you can tell from my thousands of posts in this thread, but I will answer some of your questions. The corals were in a cooler that was unsealed, and smaller that the box it was shipped in. The corals leaked and totally soaked the box you see pictured. Fedex wrapped the soaked box in plastic and reboxed it in a much larger box. Corals were packed poorly and one micromussa frag was actually out of the bags. It is my opinion that if the corals were packed properly, some may have made the trip. Also of note is that the corals were to ship for a Tues. or Wed. delivery, but the seller was "too busy" and did not ship until Thursday for a Friday delivery. I did not OK this and was simply emailed a tracking number after I hounded the seller for more information. Delivery came on Monday afternoon due to the huge snowstorm on Friday. I have already expressed my opinions of the seller, and have had some posts edited by big brother (mods) for content. I have contacted the CC company that runs my paypal account, but am waiting to file the claim. I am waiting simply due to the fact that my paypal account will be suspended during the investigation, and I am currently selling a lot of reef stuff and need access to the account. Thanks for your input. Happy holidays
Joe
Old 12/21/2006, 11:54 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Joe, If you have another credit card & email acct, you can open another Paypal acct for your selling.
Old 12/30/2006, 03:40 AM
Gun runner

Hi Joe,
Sorry to drudge this thread up again but for my own future buying, I was wondering, if you would have refused the package, would paypal or your cc company been easier to get a refund? My first instinct would have been like yours and try to save what may have still been alive rather than leave it to a certain death but given your ordeal, I may rethink that.
Are you getting excited for Oahu yet? I bet your wife is. We have got 35 inches of snow in the last week and a half.

Heres the acro I got from you.

Thanks for everything Joe. It all looks great in my tank. If you ever get back into the hobby, let me know and you can cherry pick frags from my tank.
Old 12/30/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Vikebron- The cyphastrea looks better in your tank than mine!! I hope they are all doing well. You mentioned that some corals did not make it, could you tell me which ones and maybe why that would be. I've had many of them for years so I think they are healthy when they leave.
Given the option to do it again, I would again accept the package. Paypal guarantee is for arrival, not quality. If I refused it, they would still consider it "arrived". The CC company will definitely back me up but suspend my paypal account as it investigates. I am waiting to sell off the remainder of my equipment, most of which will be done with paypal. I think I will be done selling within 2 weeks, at that time I will officially file the claim.

I was very hopeful that the corals would have made it. 4 days for micros and chalices is not unheard of. I didn't realize that the packaging was going to be so bad, that one of the micros actually came out of the bag. If they were packaged better, I would probably salvaged something.

On a personal note...Lam I hope you got my Christmas card. I hope my money bought you some nice presents. Have a great New Year and do unto others my friend.

Happy New Year Steve. Mahalo!!!!!
Old 12/30/2006, 12:45 PM
Gun runner

Yea, the packagaging is where I think the guy was most at fault along with sending on a day not agreed upon by you. Loser!
The one acro that didn't make it was the light blue one. Nothing from your side at fault. Some corals are just not good shippers. Remember, I would like first shot at the tunzes and controller. Let me know what you want for them and I'll paypal today.
Thanks
Old 02/04/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Not that this helps any but the way I see it, Soon as Fedex saw that the box was wet it had to be pulled and sent to a "problem box inspection" repackaging station. An overnight shipment sits noplace for very long. Its in and out. Soon as it had to be rerouted to an inspecter even if it was in the same building would have made that package miss its departure. That is what more than likely cuased the box to be delayed in the first place. Didnt make its friday shipping date so was held till monday.

I am truly sorry for your loss and IMO the seller is totaly at fault, not fedex.

And no i dont work for fedex
Just the way I see it.
Old 02/05/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

WOW.... this guy just had another negative thread started about him. he is making quite a name for himself.