Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 01:51 PM
Moved On

You're kidding me right? Who doesn't know what NW stands for least of all a skimmer manufacturer

Makes me wonder what they think the "up to date" technology is for skimmers.
Old 09/21/2007, 01:56 PM
One Good Friend

They think the up to date technology of air injection is in there skimmers. Its going to take alot to convince me of that. They said there air mixing chamber chops up the air smaller than any NW or venturi skimmer out there......
Old 09/21/2007, 01:57 PM
clownfish fan

even though my mce has a poorly designed collection cup and i had just plugged it in here is the first 12 hours skimmate. this was a brand new skimmer and i didnt even rinse it out before hooking it up (i know thats dumb of me)

Edit: this is the first 4 DAYS SKIMMATE it has continued to produce this kind of skimmate.

Last edited by GSMguy; 09/21/2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:00 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
They said there air mixing chamber chops up the air smaller than any NW or venturi skimmer out there......
even hastelalloy meshwheel in a RD pump? that must have been outdated before klauss thought of it...
Old 09/21/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Someone that is knowledgeable with skimmers and has a airmeter is just going to have to take one for RC Team and buy one of these skimmers and do a review. I really hope Bermuda's claims are real, but until there is a indepth review where someone has had one for a while is done, I don't think anyone is going to be jumping to buy them.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:11 PM
One Good Friend

I'd agree with you oct.....but who wants to be the one to do that.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:13 PM
g l a s s b o x

that's interesting that it's not a "venturi"despite operating with the same principles, perhaps like pohl says it's not a becket? joking....but i'd like to see a picture of the injector....there are venturi's out there that imo would skim better.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/21/2007, 02:14 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
that's interesting that it's not a "venturi"despite operating with the same principles, perhaps like pohl says it's not a becket? joking....but i'd like to see a picture of the injector....there are venturi's out there that imo would skim better.
its just like that exept pohl knows better i think.

hahn actually has a picture of a prototype revolution with a clearly visable beckett head.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:18 PM
g l a s s b o x

there are pictures of the current revolution showing that...

it is the becket foam head, with holes drilled in it like the becket mod thread that happened here on RC

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/21/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

I've been running an Octopus DDNW 150 for the past dozen days or so. Its the dual recirc. model with two OTP 2000 pumps, 6" diameter body. It replaced my Bermuda 3C. The Bermuda 3C did a better job on my tank than the Octopus. I got more skimmate of as dark or darker color in less time with the Bermuda. It's close, but the Bermuda has the edge. I will have to mod the Octopus to beat the little Bermuda 3C. I dont know about the air, I never put a flow meter on the Bermuda, I didnt have one until a few days ago. I can tell you that the Bermuda was running with a pressure rated pump about 770 GPH, throttled way down. The chamber in the Bermuda was close to being as white as the Octopus but not quite. The Bermuda has a 5" cylinder (I think), the Octopus is 6" so just going by the bubbles and the cylinder diameters and heights, the Bermuda isnt pulling as much air. The Octopus pumps are pulling just under 5 LPM each so thats about a total of 600 LPH of air in the Octopus skimmer. Still, the Bermuda produces more skimmate in a shorter period of time. It's obviously not all about the air, period.

I'm being totally honest here guys ... I really wanted my 400 dollar investment to be an upgrade out of the box. Its not that I wasnt happy with the Bermuda, it's been the best skimmer I have owned. But after hearing so much about the needle wheels efficiency and how well they worked, I decided to try one.
I knew that the Octopus skimmers needed to be modded to perform their best and on par with other affordable recirculating skimmers. But their performance out of the box was supposed to be good as is. I bought the dual model with the 6" body figuring it would be a good skimmer right out of the box. They have a similiarly sized model with a single pump so I figured this dually should perform, unmodded, as well as the single pump model, modded. It's not better than the Bermuda 3C, it just isnt. And, it is supposed to be much better going by the majority of opinions on this board.

I think we can read the specs and look at the pictures and theorise all we want to. But apparently air pull is not the end all to what makes one skimmer better than another. If it were, my Octopus would be a far better skimmer than my Bermuda.

BTW ... The Venturi in the Bermuda looks just like a venturi to me. It is a PVC T with a grey insert that has a reducing orifice and an air fitting on the top of it. It's isnt stepped like alot of venturis but I dont think it can be called anything but a standard venturi. There is nothing really special about it. The air intake isnt the little nipple that is a molded part of the piece itself as in the gray, stepped venturis. It has a an insert in the top of the T with 1/4" (or 1/8") NPT threads that a small barbed elbow fitting goes into. It doesnt clog as easy because the small nipple piece doesnt come in contact with the water. The reduction for the air is on the barbed fitting itself, further away from the water than in a standard venturi. It can accumulates some salt spray which has to be cleared so it is not, IME, completely clog free. But it doesnt clog near as much as a standard grey venturin with that integral nipple piece. Google "PVC Venturi" and if you find a picture of a white PVC T modified to be a venturi, thats basically what it is.
Old 09/21/2007, 03:10 PM
g l a s s b o x

thanks for clearing the venturi issue up darG. in response to your statement, it seems that the DDNW 150's are not matched up air/pump/neck wise...i always seem to hear complaints about the recirc skimmers from friends...who knows? i am and never have been a real octo fan myself as i am not a DIY'er.

i also agree it's not all about the air, but that is imo the largest contributor.

do you have any pics the bermuda when you were running it?

eric

Old 09/22/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I just put my Bermuda 3C back in service.
This ought to be interesting but ... I measured the air flow with the Dwyer. The little skimmer is pulling between 9 and 10 LPM or air. I cant swear on it, I have the short scale guage and the indicator is bouncing quite a bit, but it honestly looks to be atleast 9 LPM. Clearly would explain why the little sucker works well. I'll think about investing in a guage with a longer scale to be a bit more accurate (indicator doesnt bounce as much). But regardless, I'm being honest here guys.
Old 09/23/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

test
Old 09/23/2007, 09:02 PM
clownfish fan

rock soldier please post more pics
finally that looks promising there...
Old 09/23/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Alright a pic of the skimmate. Keep them comming. And how long did it take for that amount to build up?
Old 09/23/2007, 09:09 PM
One Good Friend

I'm telling you, that skimmer is going to be one of the best hot out there. Just wait for more users.
Old 09/23/2007, 09:11 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
I'm telling you, that skimmer is going to be one of the best hot out there. Just wait for more users.
the skimmate in that picture is clear dont get ahead of yourself. but that is the closest we have gotten
Old 09/23/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

That waste cup seem like its been emptied out before and it seems quit dirty might have gotten more before.
Old 09/23/2007, 09:15 PM
clownfish fan

Old 09/23/2007, 09:18 PM
One Good Friend

Don't worry, my point is if you can pull alot of wet skimmate, you can pull a decent amount of dry skimmate......someone will get there....i may have to get one myself.
Old 09/23/2007, 09:20 PM
One Good Friend

GS....you a hater man! lol, you pry like remora's! hahaha
Old 09/23/2007, 09:29 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
GS....you a hater man! lol, you pry like remora's! hahaha
yes i use remora ecslusvlay only remoras get good skimmat an r pnrankton feindly
Old 09/23/2007, 09:39 PM
One Good Friend

lol, yea, you pry shouldn't post that as some newbie will buy one now for 250 bux! ; )
Old 09/23/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

try to post more pics later tonight. Had been out of the house for some time, got back emptied col. cup, dumped about 5 gallons in the tank to top it off and took pics about an hour or 2 later.
Old 09/23/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

hi, I new where can I get this user friendly skimmer you call the remora?