Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2006, 11:25 AM
living life 2 the fullest

"The crikey fund" will hopefully be set-up soon and hopefully many of you members will contribute to it. This fund will aid in wildlife conservation and also aid his two kids Bindi and Bob in their education later on in life. My prayers are with the family.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/04/2006, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

People get killed walking across the street. This man was swimming with sting-rays. (how many of you can say that?)

He was swimming above the animal and apparently the sting ray felt threatened. The stinger actually pierced Steve's heart. This is what actually killed him. Sting ray venom is rarely fatal.

I feel extreme sadness for his wife and children. While he was a colorful charecter it in no way detracts from the fact that he was a human being like the rest of us and as such we should feel for Terri and his children.

You will be missed Steve and my heart goes out to his family. God Bless them all.

Regards,

Pat
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 09/04/2006, 11:33 AM
Take a number

When I saw the title of this thread i didn't believe it. I didn't WANT to believe it.

I LOVE this man. I have seen probably everyone of his shows. My boyfriend even used to tape the shows for me while I was in University.

**SNIFF**

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not wounded or sick - DEAD !
Old 09/04/2006, 11:55 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by PoukieBear
When I saw the title of this thread i didn't believe it. I didn't WANT to believe it.

I LOVE this man. I have seen probably everyone of his shows. My boyfriend even used to tape the shows for me while I was in University.

**SNIFF**
I couldn't either. I was thinking there was a joke in here. Unfortunately it wasn't. I think every interview I've seen him on, he passionately showed his love for animals.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/04/2006, 11:59 AM
Aquatic Philosopher

Anyone who furthers the knowledge, education and awareness of wildlife is a hero.

Forgive me for my humor but the only ones that are sadder than the fans and the crocs who never got their chance...

Godbless to the family

University of Mary Washington Alumnus
Clemson University
Old 09/04/2006, 12:12 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

very sad day. i half expected a croc to get him. he was one of those people who did so many crazy things that you thought he was invincible. the world has lost an icon.
Old 09/04/2006, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

A sad day...

Steve was a hero for many people and for sure a man that really promoted love for all kind of animals through his show..

I can't believe it and I hope that his wife and kids will continue his excellent job...

Old 09/04/2006, 12:29 PM
Team RC Member

Today a hundred people will step off the curb in front of a truck or fall down the stairs or slip walking across a floor, and that's the risk they ran. Due to bad weather which delayed the other probably more hazardous shoot, Steve was filming Bindi's children's show, a little piece with rays, which are, indeed, generally innocuous, and a one in a million accident happened with one of the most inoffensive creatures on the planet. I tell you, if I had to choose between stepping off a curb or swimming with these beautiful creatures---this was a good and beautiful last moment on earth, doing something, as usual, to promote people's gentle treatment of the wild.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/04/2006, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

For all the people bashing him for the risks he took, I'd like to point out that none of those risks caught up with him. He knew what he was doing when he took risks and this stingray incident is something many people do and is generally considered not very dangerous.

Irwin's unique personality and method of brining his passions to the public will truely be missed by a great many people. It's a terrible loss.
Old 09/04/2006, 12:37 PM
forever newbie

I'm just absolutely stunned!!!! He was a hero in many people's lives. My condolences to his family.
Old 09/04/2006, 12:44 PM
Aloha, Mr. Hand

It's a sad day. You will be missed. God bless the Irwin family

RIP Steve
Old 09/04/2006, 12:47 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

The world has lost a great conservationist and really entertaining wildlife educator. Definitely a sad day and I really feel for his family.
Old 09/04/2006, 01:11 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4271
Agreed Dino, sadly Steve is dead, but what he has done will continue for a very long time. The comment "he is dead, how can he care about animals" is both insulting and wrong. He obviously (to me anyway) cared very much, and that caring will carry on in his contributions to Animal Planet, our kids, and their kids will I am sure be watching him for many years to come. If that is a Holier than thou attitude, then so be it, it's my opinion, right or wrong. God bless ya Steve, you brought my family a lot of pleasure.
[violation]

Strike two

Last edited by beerguy; 09/04/2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09/04/2006, 01:16 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

:-( 90% of the time I have the TV on it is on Discovery or the Animal Planet. I feel as if I knew him personally. :-(
Old 09/04/2006, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wav3form
There are plenty out there that do a lot for animals without the TV stardom. It's not like he was the only one to care about animals. I hate to say it but he's dead, he can't care about animals anymore. Maybe if he used more caution he'd still be around.
edited... I have removed my post so this doesnt turn away from the real focus!
Old 09/04/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

OMG. This is sad. RIP, Steve. My heart goes out to his wife and family.
Old 09/04/2006, 01:39 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerarmy40
[B you are immature and should be banned from the site [/B]
Just give it time
Old 09/04/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

And I always thought stingray was friendly.

Washington Post article
Old 09/04/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

This is so true...

"He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"
Old 09/04/2006, 01:57 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

And I always thought stingray was friendly.

Washington Post article
I don't think I got that it was an attack oz. More like a freak accident.

Old 09/04/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

May be it was an accidental attack. freaky definitely, considering how rare it is.

On time.com, it says ...

"Irwin had come too close to a bull ray. Citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, Cropp says Irwin had accidently boxed the animal in, causing it to attack. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," says Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." Says Cropp: "It's a one-in-a-million thing. I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."
Old 09/04/2006, 02:13 PM
Moved In

I didn't read that.

Old 09/04/2006, 02:24 PM
taaa daaa

The saddest part, is that he died trying to show how harmless stingrays are and I fear his death will be in vain because some people will get the wrong message
Old 09/04/2006, 02:24 PM
Team RC Member

They twitch. There was a shadow above it and nerves just fired, was all. Steve would have been the first one to defend that critter as peaceful and just doing what millennia have wired it to do. It was buried in the sand under where he was swimming, by all accounts---he may have had his eye on another one, or have been watching his cameraman---he always took care of his cameramen. You could get hit in the leg, the hand, even in the face by the same creature and come out all right; it was just a sandy bottom where a ray could be hidden, by all description.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/04/2006, 02:25 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Here's another article on the accident, just to show how freaky this was there are only 17 known stingray attack fatalities worldwide. At least it sounds like he didn't suffer much at all. RIP Steve, you will be missed.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...12-601,00.html