Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

I just plugged in my das-ex2 for the first time and one of the pumps isn't drawing air or doing anything but its warm to the touch. The other pump is working fine and cool to the touch. Any ideas?
Old 11/29/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

get a new pump that one isnt working
Old 11/29/2007, 08:42 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Open it up and check the impellor
Old 11/29/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

How much are they from petorama?
Old 11/29/2007, 09:15 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

About 130$
Old 11/29/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

they should replace it for free
Old 11/29/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

They should replace it for free. The pump should not be warm to the touch.

-Matthew
Old 11/30/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

I finally got my ex-2 up and running after plumbing it into the overflow. With only one pump running the foam head is in the suggested spot, but upon plugging in the second pump the foam just overflows directly into the cup (filling it in mere minutes.) I have the water level set at the bayonet with the pumps off, should I just lower it for now? This skimmer shouldn't always overflow when the power goes out, right? I'm nervous as it's external. Also, the airlines fill with water when I unplug the pumps, enough to the point that it shoots water out of them for a second, normal?
Old 11/30/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like the water level in the skimmer is a bit too high.
The water level in the airlines will come up to the point of the water level in the skimmer body which should be a little bit below the top of the airlines if you have them through the retainer holes.

Lower the water level and throttle down the air a little bit with the valves. You may have to lower the air or water level or both more than usual until the skimmer breaks in.

I run the water level right at or just a hair below where the black abs "cone" meets the clear body of the skimmer. My air is throttled down by aiming the arrow on the stock air valve knobs to about 1:00 or 2:00. Actually it's measured at just below 5 LPM per pump with an air flow meter but that equates roughly to the 1 or 2 O'clock position of the air valve knobs.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I bought this skimmer 3 months used, should it have to go through the break-in process again? Maybe a couple of days?
Old 11/30/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

It will go through a break in as it adjusts the the surface tension of your tanks water. But they dont always go through a break in or a noticeable one. It all depends. But with what you are describing, it sounds like the water level is too high and/or the air plus it may overskim some if it goes through a break in. So you could have a combination of those things.

Most people do run the air valved down a little bit with the DAS skimmers even after break in.

There are good guidelines for setting the skimmer up in this thread if you go back a page or two. They are based on the Deltec skimmer but thats essentially what the DAS is. They will help with the DAS except for the portion that deals with valving the output. The stock DAS does not have a valve for the outflow.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Ya, I've been reading through this thread for a month or two. I was basing my setup on the photo of the deltec and in the photo the water level looks a bit higher than what you were describing you ran. I don't have the air valves, but I have inserted RO tubing into the ends of the airline to cut down a bit. Does it matter to measure flow through rate if the water level is where you want it in the skimmer?
Old 11/30/2007, 03:10 PM
Charleston Reefer

You will have to get some air valves, IMO. Without the air valve its going to make setting up the skimmer a nightmare!
Old 11/30/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Where can I find valves?
Old 11/30/2007, 05:23 PM
Charleston Reefer

i got some at my LFS and i saw some at walmart the other day. If you want fancy air valve finsreef sells some nice ones and so does euro-reef.com.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

I'm assuming the aquatic section at Wal-Mart? I thought a lot of people ran these skimmers with the valves wide open?
Old 11/30/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DugJ
I'm assuming the aquatic section at Wal-Mart? I thought a lot of people ran these skimmers with the valves wide open?
wide open with the valves on. with them on it doesnt let as much air in. i had the same over flow problem but once the skimmer broke in it went away.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Well I didn't get a response to the email address on their website but I replied to one of the customer service people that had emailed me back when I ordered it. Did those that had issues send their emails to onlinesales@petorama.com or directly to DAS?
Old 12/03/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

I sent my third email today with out a reply, looking like horrid customer service.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:37 AM
Save me Jebus

I used to run my EX2 with no air valves. Then I figured out I had a defective pump that was pulling in half or less than half as much air as the other pump was doing. I got it replaced and now my skimmer is going MAD so I have to run valves to regulate it. Kinda ****es me off that I did not catch that when I first got the skimmer.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 12/04/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

So it took a day for the skimmer to break in. It has since calmed down and I've been able to dial it in. I know it's not much, but check out what it's pulled in 2 days. I'm excited, the old turboflotor took nearly 2 weeks to pull anything near this.

Old 12/05/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Might have been an issue with hotmail or their email server. The last email I sent I received a receive receipt and that email was responded to and they're sending me a new pump. I hadn't received a receive receipt on the previous emails.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burton14e7
Might have been an issue with hotmail or their email server. The last email I sent I received a receive receipt and that email was responded to and they're sending me a new pump. I hadn't received a receive receipt on the previous emails.
They can be tough to get a hold of. But they do seem to take care of issues once you get their attention. Good to hear you'll be getting a replacement pump.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Here's a recent shot of what my EX1 is producing. This is on a 16g tank! So there goes the Severely Oversized Skimmer Syndrome theory for these bad boys. This is a BB tank, skimmer fed directly from overflow - notice the chunks.

Last edited by uhuru; 12/05/2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:46 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by DugJ
So it took a day for the skimmer to break in. It has since calmed down and I've been able to dial it in. I know it's not much, but check out what it's pulled in 2 days. I'm excited, the old turboflotor took nearly 2 weeks to pull anything near this.

Was it hard to dial in without the air valves?

Glad you are liking it!