Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2005, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

have i bumped my head?
Old 04/02/2005, 01:19 AM
Ocean Freak

i already did. like every day i feed phyto. but i had a BBQ party tonight an all the light, stereo, TV, fish tank lights and pump were one. sorry i didnt knew
without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny
Old 04/02/2005, 08:46 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by haid
I don't know about the rest of you but I like my electrity just fine. The electric company should do the same for you and turn off your power for 24 hours. Bet you would love that. I absolutely adore the positives elecitrity and other energy for that matter bring to my life. No I don't work for a Power or Oil Company. I work for a steel company thoough and you should see the drain when you fire up some ARC furnaces to melt down some scrap. Now that is what pays the electric companies bills. So for me Skimmer stay on, pumps stay on, beer stays cold and thats the way I like it. Oh yea, and suprise someone makes a profit to make it happen. Gotta love it.
Yeah and your steel company is responsible for the deaths of young children and adults, from all the waste that they dumb into the river or drain into some sort of waterway. Probably a ton of mercury. Somone has to drink that water, but hey as long as you dont have to drink it thats all that matters, and as long as your beer is cold thats all that matters, you are so careless. Go get hit by a bus please.
Old 04/02/2005, 08:49 AM
Moved On

Oh and too that moron that says that the northeast does not believe in global warming, thats because you all have your heads up your asses, like much of the united states. Everyone else in the world believes it is fact and are trying to do something about it. All too convenient that the biggest profiteer from things that cause global warming would play dumb.
Old 04/02/2005, 08:50 AM
Moved On

Oh and mods ban my account I could give a ****, I will be back on here with a million other email accounts, you cant stop this! I am FREE to express my opinions as are the others.
Old 04/02/2005, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

better idea..trade your car/truck down from a 4 litre monster to under 2 litres..

save the world far quicker than a few little filters
Old 04/02/2005, 08:51 AM
Moved On

Gnippe da Gypsy,

Woohoo right on!!!
Old 04/02/2005, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Anyone concerned about global warming should read Michael Crichton's new novel, State of Fear. His books are fictitious tales that are built around a core of facts from our lives.

We are all at the mercy of the reports on the news.

Unless you are the scientist that travels the world and takes the readings on ocean levels, temperature, ice thickness, and you can honestly contradict the research presented in Mr. Crichton work, then stop worrying about global weather and start worrying about more significant local matters.

Whatever side of the fence you fall to, we shoudl be more practical in the way we spend our time.

For example, perhaps instead of spending hundreds of dollars on coral fragments, you should give that money to a local charity, a school or some other institution that can affect your community today.

Melev, I respect your opinions and your reefkeeping skills but if you are going to impose your opinion in a non political forum, then how about this:

You set up a charity, like "reefers for change". You ask each member to sacrifice the next $100 coral specimen that they "must" cram into their home reef. Each member sends that $100 to the new charity.

If there are 90,0000 members, then that would have the potential to create a $9 million charity chest. even a 1% participation of the membership would create $90,000 in funds.

I have a feeling that this type of charity could make a much larger impact then the effect of unplugging a skimmer for a day.

I appreciate the effort, but honestly, I am in this forum to disconnect from the onslaught of messages that target me for contributions, sales of products, etceteras. . .

If you are going to ask me to distract my time from this diversion to "help" the world, make it worth my while.
Old 04/02/2005, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

melev,
Now that it's April second you can admit that this thread was just 1 big April Fool's joke and get on with it.
Allen
Old 04/02/2005, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishylongstocking
Gnippe da Gypsy,

Woohoo right on!!!
I'w with you..

howcome a country with 10% of the worlds population uses 30% of the worlds fuel

its not a sum that adds up somehow
Old 04/02/2005, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Yeah and your steel company is responsible for the deaths of young children and adults, from all the waste that they dumb into the river or drain into some sort of waterway. Probably a ton of mercury. Somone has to drink that water, but hey as long as you dont have to drink it thats all that matters, and as long as your beer is cold thats all that matters, you are so careless. Go get hit by a bus please.

fishylongstocking

So I am sure since you are so concerned about this that you do not have any steel appliances in your house? Do you have a car? Do you run electrity? Well if you do how can you be so self-righteous. You are feeding these companies their profits and complaining about it at the same time. How and you may want to take some classes there is not much Mercury in steel and it is illegal to dump into waterways. Another thing is if this steel was not recycled it would have to land filled. My point is that I am tired of hearing people complaining when they are all consumers as well. When you are living in a tent without the modern convenience’s you can lecture me, until then enjoy what the human population has accomplished. Will it last forever, I doubt it, nothing ever does but I can guarantee that you are not going to bring it down. I am just fine with that. As we progress these companies will be the ones who are implementing new technologies that will actually have a positive environmental impact. Not you and your skimmer.

I thought this might be a April Fools joke but can't for the life of me see the humor. So if it was, its not a bad discussion anyway.

I think I will go stare at my glass box now.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:08 AM
Moved On

Nesaccery evil my friend, but I do limit the use of all these things as much as possible, if we slow down a bit we can find better ways to do things.

I ride a bike to work even though I live in the mid-west where it is not conducive, I use pc bulbs on all my lights, dont own the place otherwise I would try to solar power this mother as much as possible. I do much more too much to add here.

The thing is I care and I am trying to do what I can, you on the other hand just dont care and act like the world can go to a hell in a hand basket and thats that.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:35 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

How lame is this? A perfectly good joke thread ruined by people with no sense of humor

Started great Melev.
Old 04/02/2005, 12:22 PM
Moved On

how about this, I just baught a GMCyukon and upgraided my metal halides from 250w to 400w.oh ya and the earth was actually .03 degrees cooler this year hmm. USA#1 GO BUSH
Old 04/02/2005, 01:17 PM
RC Mod

Closed..........

Agu