Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2005, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

That's good news Japheth.

Cindy
Old 02/19/2005, 11:46 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

well, I checked the 200 to see if it leaks, it does.
Old 02/20/2005, 12:13 AM
Registered Member.

Hi JAPHETH

Good to here it is ok. I thank it growed for you. Have you seen any of the others i gave you. I have abought 3 or 4 more for you but these are small a inch or two tops. I thank this should give you a good starting point. Did you find out how they breed ? I have a few frags for you also. I will drop them off tomarow i hope. If you arnt there i'll do it next time i'm in town.

Bump
Old 02/20/2005, 12:16 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

Quote:
Originally posted by bump321
Hi JAPHETH

Good to here it is ok. I thank it growed for you. Have you seen any of the others i gave you. I have abought 3 or 4 more for you but these are small a inch or two tops. I thank this should give you a good starting point. Did you find out how they breed ? I have a few frags for you also. I will drop them off tomarow i hope. If you arnt there i'll do it next time i'm in town.

Bump
I think it must have grown, I haven't seen the others yet. I think they reproduce by "dropping a section"
I won't be around here tomorrow but I'll be here all day Monday if that would be good for you.
Old 02/20/2005, 12:26 AM
Registered Member.

That will work i have ta come to town Monday too. Good luck on selling your tank. How did you like the color on that big guy. If you didnt get to see the color take a close look next time he is pritty for a worm.

Bump
Old 02/20/2005, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the frags bump, i put them on with some epoxy that marineland makes, seems to work good.

LAst night i saw some kind of worm that was about 3 inches long from the hole in the rock it came from, i put the light on and it went back into the hole quickly. he looked light brown and was smooth. any ideas

also my red starfish has one leg that is white and looks like the flesh has been ripped off. Any ideas? My levels were up this week though.

Just got a lawnmower blenny and he is so cool looking. I hope he helps with the hair algae.
Old 02/20/2005, 01:01 AM
Registered Member.

Hi sublime
your welcome, they were just laying around & i was comming your way & thought you might want them. Did the xenia make it ? Thats the one that opens & closes that i gave you last time.

On the worm & the leg i have know idea.

I have a lawnmower that is so fat it is unreal. He is as wide as my thumb is & he has a lot of character.

Bump
Old 02/21/2005, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

My tank is too small for a Lawnmower, but I saw a big, honkin' one in Longview. He was like a littel train car. He was nice.
Old 02/21/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

the one that looks like a brown bush is doing awesome. its growing and spreading quickly, which i like, My favorite one is the hard looking one that has neon green "petals" i don't know what they are really. So are we swithcing over completely to the other forum or what?
Old 02/21/2005, 02:43 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

seems like this one is kind of slowing down.
Old 02/21/2005, 02:44 PM
TRC Leader

What other forum?
Old 02/21/2005, 02:49 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

I guess we are trying to get the club started over on www.marineandreeftalk.com , at least that is what it is sounding like to me.
Old 02/21/2005, 03:07 PM
Registered Member.

Hi Sublime
The hard coral is a caluflower. The hard coral that i gave you just the other day is a birds nest. Put it up as high as you can & try to give it a lot of flow.

Bump
Old 02/21/2005, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

I had the opportunity this afternoon to meet Jeff when he came by the office to look at my hubbys Nano tank. Jeff, thanks for the zoo frag, that was real sweet of you. I got my nifty little kit out from our dfwmas frag workshop .It is mounted and I'm anxious for them to open up.

I'll see you tomorrow at 2:00 and you can have some of my frogspawn. If I have time tonight I can get some green star polys and I was going to give you what I thought was a little rock with a few brown button polyps, but it turns out that they are attached to the crabs shell. I was looking down at its level and saw him and then he popped back in his shell. Really cute! Sorry, you can't have that one now.

Cindy
Old 02/21/2005, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Is anyone here planning on going to the DFWMAS Next Wave Meeting In Irving?

I'm going and will make the weekend of it in Dallas with my parents. TR, Shirley is going. Is anyone else? Bump I figured you and Jimmy might be going. Japheth?

Anyway, it sounds like its going to be a really good meeting and a good opportunity to meet new people, see old friends and learn a lot. I think this is something that we need to take advantage of for our selves and so in the future there will continue to be meetings or programs of this quality.

The info is listed in an earlier thread by Marc, the president of DFWMAS.

Cindy
Old 02/21/2005, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

These are the links that Marc had given us before.

http://www.dfwmas.com/pdf_files/nextwave_2005_flyer.pdf

If you plan to attend, here are more details and the sign up sheet.

http://www.dfwmas.com/nextwave2005.html

Steve Tyree is famous for his corals, and sells them. Lots of people brag about their Tyree this and their Tyree that.... I don't have one yet.

Daphne Fautin I don't know personally.

Sanjay Joshi is well know for his lighting studies. He was here at MACNA three years ago and taught us all about lighting. He works at Penn State University, and works on a gorgeous reef tank that is currently featured in the Photography Forum. He spoke again at MACNA last September, but I missed that talk so I'm glad he'll be here. We can hear the latests findings.

Larry Jackson is a well-known speaker, and I simply can't recall meeting him although he's been at two conferences I've attended. His presentation on the Great Barrier Reef is surely going to be amazing, as he was there during the Spawning Season.

We tried to get some other speakers, but they were already booked. Anthony Calfo has been scheduling 2006 since last November! I'm thinking we need to book him now for next year's Next Wave.

Old 02/21/2005, 11:29 PM
Registered Member.

Hi Cindy
We cant make this one. Maybe we can make it next year. I hope you all have a nice time.

Bump
Old 02/21/2005, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

We'll miss you. We'll try to come back with all kinds of info for you.

Cindy
Old 02/22/2005, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

I'm looking forward to getting some frog spawn from you tomorrow. Man did that little tank look good! Thanks for taking time to show it to me cindy, i hope those little zoos do good fory you

My frags from bump are doing good. One question though

You said i needed more flow, i have a powerhead, i don't know how powerful but it distrupts everything in the tank when i turn it on... how powerful is too powerful and what are the best way to position these things so they don't distrupt corals, fish or sand =-)
Old 02/22/2005, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

HI Jeff, I'm glad you liked the little Nano, we are very pleased with it. I guess the pepperment shrimp were hungry , they came running outwhen I fed them. But then they didn't get fed all week end either. Bump had me get some shrimp pellets from wal-mart for a sick brain and I put some of those in their and the shrimp went wild.

Thanks again for my zoos. Can't tell for sure, what color are they. A couple opened up a bit last night. I had dropped the bag so I hope I didn't hurt it too much. I'll be bagging up a few things from the house for you. I still cant get over that crab that has button polyps growing on top of its shell. Looks like hes under a little umbrella. I think that may be my anemone crab that I bought. The Clarkii probably ran him off.

How many powerheads do you have and can the speed of flow be adjusted. What is is that Carol says you need more flow for. I had to increase mine because of the cyano that I had. I added two Tunze streams 6000 with a controller. You just have to see where the areas of high flow are and put them there.

Gotta go to work.. Cindy
Old 02/22/2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

i have some cyano too, i added flow to one part and now the center of the tank has it!!!

right now im running 3 power heads one on the bottom of the back right glass running water down the backside of the rockwork to the other side of the tank. the other two are on the side glass angled toward the center of the front glass.
The powerhead is a maxijet and i might be able to adjust the amount of flow....

you'll have to post a pic of you little hermit with the umbrella.

I had a hermit piggyback on another for 3 days straight! That was funny
Old 02/22/2005, 01:14 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

I think you are supposed to aim for a min of cycling your tank 10x per hour for the amount of flow.

Mine is a 72 gallon so I would want at least 720 gallons per hour. I have also heard up to 25-35 times per hour.

Thanks for the frags Carrol! they are doing great so far, I'm not sure about the one mushroom that was discolored, we'll see if it can pull through.
I rearranged all the rockwork yesterday it it looks really good now. I'll have to take some pics soon.
Old 02/22/2005, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

I will look forward to seeing your rock work. I'm still trying to decide what I will do with mine when I redo it.

Cindy
Old 02/22/2005, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

I have some cyano at the front middle and I'm starting to get some on my rocks. I think I need to keep them blown off more and maybe change the direction some of the ph. I can turn them too much or they blow my clam over and as it is the mantle is probably moving around more than it needs to.

Jeff I'm glad I got to meet your girlfriend , she seems very nice. I'm sorry I didn't have time to visit but I was in the middle of a procedure that I didn't know I would be doing today.

I forgot to tell you to QT the coral. The GSP (green star polyps) and the brown button polyps came out of the tank that has ick. I meant to tell you when you came by but I got in such a rush I forgot. Please tell me you QT'd it. Its only my hippo tang that occasionally gets some spots but I know it has to be in the water. Maybe it was shaken off enough. The water I put in the bag came from my hospital tank which is ich free so hopefully it will all be fine.

I included some cheato in case you needed it. Its been sitting in a bucket by the window for a while but you may want to qt it also because I did pour some wc water into it.

Sorry

Cindy
Old 02/22/2005, 10:41 PM
Registered Member.

Hi sublime
I was talking adought the hard coral i gave you. You will need to put it somewere were it get a stronger water flow, not right in the current but you should see the polyps moveing real good.

Japheth hi
How does Krista Like them ?
On the one mushroom it should color up, i guess the rock it was on got coverd up & it didnt get enough light. You need to post the pic.s of your tank so we can it. did you see my pictures of my male Sh after he turned yellow ? How is your rock doing ?

Bump