Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2007, 09:00 PM

You're right Barry...hard to let go though...Aren't you guys even slightly impressed that I haen't fallen in and drowned???
Old 07/28/2007, 09:25 PM
Be the valve.

Quote:
while I was recovering from a stroke
Yep, we know that.

Quote:
I wish you'd stop pulling out the stroke card...it's getting old now.
And that was low.

Quote:
You're right Barry...hard to let go though...
And that was not. That's what I call taking the high ground.
Old 07/28/2007, 09:45 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by dsandfort
And that was low.
I've been called worse by better.
Old 07/28/2007, 09:46 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
You're right Barry...hard to let go though...Aren't you guys even slightly impressed that I haen't fallen in and drowned???
You haven't fallen in and drowned because...

wait for it...

You won't let go!
Old 07/29/2007, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

"nice live cam, love the display setup, on mine i will be installing 4 submersible lcd cameras hopefully that work out soon."
-cbui2

Found this post on another thread. Whatever happened to this idea? Would love to see how you get this done so I can steal it from you. Looking forward to a webcam for your tank.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 07/29/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
Speaking of YAWN. I wish you'd stop pulling out the stroke card...it's getting old now.
That is too funny.....

Thrischmann what web cam you talking about??????

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 07/30/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

I don't want to call him out or anything but I was randomly cruising from thread to thread yesterday and found something on webcams, as I am trying to find one as well, and came across that post fomr cbui2. Just wanted to follow up and see what progress he has made on this idea. I have been trying to figure out how to get a camera (or 2 ;-) ) inside my tank as well. Got a few ideas so I was wondering what direction he was taking.

Old 07/30/2007, 11:58 AM
g0t fIsH

i have 4 submersible camera already waiting to be installed but not just yet, not ready for anyone to spy on me . someone please throw Jonathan a life float ring
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/30/2007, 12:05 PM

i'd probably choke myself with the life ring
Old 07/30/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

i have been looking for a camera that will stand up to salt water. what did you get? are they web cams?

Carl
Old 07/30/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Cbui,

In which thread were you talking about putting cameras in your tank? I would love to read more about the process, or in the very least your current progress, and equipment choices.
Old 07/30/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
i have 4 submersible camera already waiting to be installed but not just yet, not ready for anyone to spy on me . someone please throw Jonathan a life float ring
Can you post pictures or details about these cameras?
Old 07/30/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

sorry I let the cat out of the bag.. probably should have PMed you..

Old 07/30/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Cbui

How do the cabinets open without knobs?

I am in the process of building an inwall and would like the wall to still look like a wall.
Old 07/30/2007, 04:15 PM
g0t fIsH

sorry guys and thirschmann , but the cameras are a secret until i finished them .

reefNchips - the cabinet doors has push magnetic latches with child safety, or you can simply drill a hole fish a string through then tied a knot just kidding.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/30/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry guys and thirschmann , but the cameras are a secret until i finished them .

reefNchips - the cabinet doors has push magnetic latches with child safety, or you can simply drill a hole fish a string through then tied a knot just kidding.

Drill a hole and tie a knott...Way too funnyy..haahaaa

Old 07/30/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

i need the camera info now. PLEASE! i am setting up my tank now.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic70159-13-1.aspx

Carl
Old 07/30/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carloskoi
i need the camera info now. PLEASE! i am setting up my tank now.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic70159-13-1.aspx

Carl
I have been looking at doing this. I have done a lot of searching and never found anything that was both affordable, sized appropriately, and designed to interface easily with the computer. I have concluded that I will purchase one or more cheap, small webcams and home-brew a little acrylic box around them. Even if I screw up I'm out, what $20 for the experiment?

The hard part will be keeping the lens portion of the box clean, to tell you the truth. There are a lot of reefcams in the real aquarium that need constant cleaning. Sigh. One more thing for the maintenance list.

Ben
Old 07/30/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Cbui,

Do you have an approximate time as to when yours may be ready?
Old 07/31/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I know some type of magnetic push like on entertainment centers. But what do you mean by child saftey. Could you give brand or where to get them.

Thanks man and just one more wow!
Old 07/31/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

OK I found the DReam Baby brand maglock.Is it the same as what you have. looks a little big but I guess that is what makes it work.
Old 07/31/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

WOW!!! is all I can say.

Had a few questions
1) Since you are using the garage as a fish room (I am planning this as well in my new build) how are you dealing with the humidity produced from the light heat and evaporation? Did you install a seperate hvac to deal with that situation?

2)on your living room wall (viewing side) you mentioned that it didn't sit flush and left a gap to prevent any water/salt crepe. What did you treat that wall with (i.e. just simple painted sheet rock, special paint, etc.)? Since there is that space for moisture and possible evaporation into the house was curious if was causing the viewing room wall to bumble up or peel?

3) Is it possible to open your garage door, stand in the drive way, and get a full view of your fishroom? Would be curious to see everything in one shot considering all the plumbing you have going on

Thanks so much and hope all is well with your tank
Old 07/31/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

EWWWW Bart that sounds like a sweet pic. A full view of your garage. Good idea jaymumma. Things might be on the down low right now but when you can Bart that would be a nice view..

Old 08/01/2007, 03:18 AM
g0t fIsH

jaymumma - 1. garage (fish room) has its owed window unit 12,000btu. this is more than enough to covered 600sq ft. currently 3 400w MH 8hrs daily, display temp 79 deg and fish room temp 75 deg and 4gal daily evaporation

2. main display sits 5" back, i wanted to create similar window view to match the rest of the living room. my light rack is built directly over the eurobrace making salt creep minimal. no need for any special painted materials b/c of low evaporation. 5 layers of primer and flat latex paint was used on walls and ceiling though. FRP panel was also installed directly above the main display. with low evaporation and 75deg temp for entire fish room, i don't believed it could cause any peeling or bumble from the walls, but too early to tell with only 2 months. now if i had my central a/c unit tied together with the fish room, this might cause a problem inside the house.

3. i can do it but lack in photography skills . that means humidity from outside will infect the entire fish room. do you really want me to do this considering the safety of my livestock? hope you can understand... you know my fish is more important then my vehicles & pics . if you really insist i will git-r-done

erics3000 - this means i have to get up while watching my favorite tv shows (barney) with the kids, then get out the camera which is probably full of dust by now, open the garage door- there goes the cold air, then stand in place hopefully it doesn't rain on me or i will have to ask my wife to hold the umbrella up and finally taking a shot. after said and done get back on the pc upload the pics making sure i choose the good pics, resize them, sign on to photobucket, upload the pics, then sign on to RC, making sure to answer the thread before posting any pics up. whew i think this is about it, oh one more thing i left out after all that just for some pics if i have some time left over to eat dinner...this should be everything if any details was left out opinions would helpful. thanks again for viewing my thread
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/01/2007, 09:58 AM
Be the valve.

You might need to charge the camera. And don't forget to get a white board to color correct the camera for the crappy garage lights. Oh, and while backing the cars out to get a good shot, you'll likely pick up a nail which means you'll have to change the flat and run it down to the tire store for repair. I'll bet you get a ticket on the way since you'll be in a hurry to get pack and take the picture.

Maybe you could just draw us a picture.