Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2005, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Good to hear from ya, best of luck!
Old 09/01/2005, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

not selling it just yet. If anything it will sit on a floor or the stand untill I can finaly set it up. I can tell you it dont look like it will be anytime soon

I am already starting my work...I will be moving to houma and set up our company in a fam house probably lke monday and useing some warehouse space from one of our venders. I saw some pics of oil platforms that are trashed. Some are not even there anymore and there is just gas bubbling up where it used to be. Not good for the fish in that area im sure.

This is some thread huh...from being band to this
Old 09/01/2005, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Hopefully things can only get better!
Old 09/01/2005, 10:44 AM
Tiny Miracles.

NOLACLS, Im glad your still keeping in touch...have you been able to go back home and see what damage has done? Or are they just not allowing anyone in period? I know they are evacuating NO....but I dont know if you could sneak a peak and see whats going on.....
Old 09/01/2005, 07:32 PM
get your reef on

NOLACLS, watching the news today you seem to be one of the lucky ones. what a mess, I can't believe what's going on down there.

I would not worry about whether your posts are reef related at this point we all want to know what's happening to you and your part of the country.

I truly hope you have a city to return to when this is all over.
when things are under control I may come on down and help rebuild, if they need people.
I can swing a mean hammer.
Old 09/01/2005, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

NM....no I have not been able to go back...and quite honestly I don't know if I want to just yet. The (refrain from using bad words) looters are shooting at rescue helicopters cops people...whatever. I don't know if its safe to go back. The word was maybe monday but I don't know if that will still happen...and if we can I still don't know I we will just yet. I certainly wont go without packing some heat!!!!! The looters burned the mall 5 min from my house from what I heard today Tonight is not a good night for me...its really wearing on me what the current state of my home town is. We are all strongly considering not staying in NOLA for the long term anymore. We may just move for good. Watching the news is just down right scary.....

JT my house was lucky im sure but its not worth a damn with the condition of the rest of the city and people. I don know if my home is standing but I think it is. Now for the looters they may have ransacked it. The people that were in and around the supperdome walked across the bridge and that puts them 10 min from my house. That is also where they burned the mall. Looters are shooting at anything and everything...people are dying left and right and are sitting where they dropped. I just cant really grasp that its for real right now.......

I need some sleep.....more later
Old 09/01/2005, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

What is up with these looters? I just dont get it.
Old 09/01/2005, 09:52 PM
get your reef on

thanks for the update, no matter how bad it is at least we know your alright.

I hope the additional national guard coming your way will settle things down.

I can't imagine the emotions your going through, so I'll just say I hope things get back

to normal as soon as possible. by normal I mean not having to worry if you'll get shot at

when you try to look at your house.

I also hope with time the outlook won't look as bleak to you and you'll be able to have a

life again in NOLA.
Old 09/02/2005, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

God bless you and every one in need. thank you for checking in once in a while. I have been watching your post for the last few days and check every hour or so to here from you.
Old 09/02/2005, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scunan
What is up with these looters? I just don't get it.
Some of these looters are good (and frightened) people just trying to get water and food for their family. Can you imagine having to fight thru water and people to get food for your hungry children at home? And of course, some are not. But its been days since they had running water or toilets. Unfortunately, the main people who couldn't evacuate were lower income people and they probably don't feel like any help is coming at all right now so they are desperate. They have no food, toilets, or water in the superdome. They are fighting, killing and raping, bodies are floating by, I'm sure many of us haven't been in a situation like that. I think the federal government should have really been on this before it hit, thats the purpose (and measure) of having a government for situations like this. With all the cable stations saying how bad it was going to be you would think the federal government would have been mobilized before the state even asked for help. Anyway, goodluck Nolacls, and be happy your not there right now, I wouldn't go back so soon.
Paul
Old 09/02/2005, 10:15 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Ive heard that they let the prisoners out of the prisons, and they were sent to the superdome, now that they are out, they are the ones looting, shooting, and raping.....

Btw, just for your info, the Federal Government cant help until the STATE government requests it. Louisiana didnt formally make the request until Tuesday or Wednesday......
Old 09/02/2005, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

NewMariner,

I understand what your saying but the looting and shooting is just a small fraction of whats going on.

The government could have started preparing when we found out how bad it would be. They should have started bringing back the national guard (who are there to handle these situations) from Iraq and have them ready to deploy after they got the official request. They could have talked to the governors, mayors, airlines, cruise lines, bus lines, hotels so that when wednesday came, they could have been ready to help.

But on another note, when did US citizens become refugees in their own country?
Old 09/02/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

I agree with kimoyo, I think our government has done a terrible job so far. In my opinion we should drop everything that we are doing in other countries and take care of this major disaster at home. I think when things are this bad we can cut out some of the red tape between state and federal if u know what i mean.
Old 09/02/2005, 11:27 AM
get your reef on

when you have no home and only the shirt on your back I guess that qualifies you as a refugee no matter where you are

for NOLACLS's sake lets try to keep his thread as positive as we can, jmo.
Old 09/02/2005, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Jonathan,
My point was that they aren't refugees and shouldn't be called so, they are US taxpaying citizens who need their countries help.
Paul
Old 09/02/2005, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

I think people are doing a pretty good job.. You have to consider How many people need help... The numbers are stagering.. They have helped thousands.. They can only move so fast.. When you have to airlift everyone or drive through flooded roads it takes time.. .. Yes I'm sure they could have had a few more resources there a lil quicker But Hindsight is 20/20.. They really didn't KNOW how bad it was going to be.. For that matter I'm sure they had no way of knowing how many would stay even after they were told to leave. I know if I was told a major hurricane was comming I would NOT be sitting there. I'd walk crawl,, greyhound bus it whatever.. Atleast try to get 10-20 miles inland. The fact that the streets simply arent' safe isn't helping either... The trouble makers are making things that much harder.. That one levy would have probably been fixed 2 days ago But they couldn't even work on it at night due to the trouble makers...

I know if I was down there trying to feed and help people and I got shot out by the same people.. I'd pretty much not care to help them after that..

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Old 09/02/2005, 03:41 PM
In Too Deep

Quote:
Originally posted by kimoyo
Jonathan,
My point was that they aren't refugees and shouldn't be called so, they are US taxpaying citizens who need their countries help.
Paul
Many of these people are NOT tax paying citizens. However, they are still humans and should be treated so. On the other hand, many of them are not acting like humans. And they are probably the non-tax payers.

IMO, our gov't is doing the best they can under the circumstances. NOLA is a huge city and there are a million things standing in the way.

NOLACLS, I hope Im not repeating anyone, I havent read everything, but is it true that the US Gov't has given NOLA millions of dollars over the past several decades to improve the levies but NOLA never did so?
Old 09/02/2005, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWaters
Many of these people are NOT tax paying citizens. However, they are still humans and should be treated so. On the other hand, many of them are not acting like humans. And they are probably the non-tax payers.
Wow, and you know this because of what? How would you act when you don't have any food or water for 5 days, yet alone be in dirty water?
Quote:
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
I know if I was told a major hurricane was comming I would NOT be sitting there. I'd walk crawl,, greyhound bus it whatever..
And this is what makes order break down. Do you think there were enough greyhound buses to bus people out even if they had the money? Who would get on the bus, only the strong? And once they got on the bus, where would all these people go without any direction from the government? This is where the government has to step in, provide the buses and directions on where to go. But FEMA had no plan on evacuating the people who had no cars or in poorer areas.
Quote:
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
I know if I was down there trying to feed and help people and I got shot out by the same people.. I'd pretty much not care to help them after that..
So one person shoots at you and you forget about the 10 other helpless ones?

We have 78,000 National Guard in Iraq, and they just got 7,000 national guard today 5 days after the storm. The national guard are now bringing food and water to these people, evacuating them, and keeping order. Do you think those 78,000 national guard couldn't have made a difference if they were brought home earlier this week.

But you all do realize that the levees were only able to handle a level 3 hurricanes. The core of army engineers told the government about this and warned recently that this could be one of the US's worst disasters. 10 million was allocated to upgrade the levees to handle up to level 5 hurricanes but Bush took the money for Iraq. And this isn't new, its not hindsight, FEMA has been talking about this for years.

The Florida representatives vehemently asked Bush to fire the FEMA head and warned about inadequacies last year after the hurricanes and the cabinet did nothing. I just can't see how you guys are blaming the people for looting but not blaming our government.

Last edited by kimoyo; 09/02/2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09/02/2005, 07:51 PM
Not bad, drawn that way

kimoyo - so if the looters are looking for food and water for their families, what are they going to do with the plasma TV's they are taking along with them? From what I have seen most of the looters are troublemakers as said earlier and are not just protecting their families. And that is still no excuse for shooting at those people trying to help.
Old 09/02/2005, 07:58 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Hey guys, is there a chance that you could move this discussion to the lounge. I am sure that NOLACLS has enough going on to have to come back to read this. Plus wouldn't want this to turn into a closed thread. That is just my $0.02, but I think it is the right thing to do. Of course if people want to ask him how he is doing or wish him well he would appreciate it. BTW --- the above is just my opinion and no one else's, feel free to disagree with me.
Old 09/02/2005, 08:24 PM
get your reef on

Guys I agree with Todd. I know we all want to discuss what's going on, but right now I don't think this thread is the place to do it. The last we heard from NOLACLS he had no idea if he had a house left or his belongings. Out of respect for him his thread should be a place for inquiring how he's doing and trying to give him some support.
Please don't turn this into a political discussion that will raise red flags and it will lead to nothing good.
Old 09/02/2005, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Agreed. Good luck again NOLACLS. I hope things can return to some state of normalcy for you soon. Hopefully a good state of security can be established with the recent influx of troops and maybe the levee breaks repaired. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you in these difficult times.
Old 09/02/2005, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

Yeah please no hard core politics in here...I have already been banned and whatnot...and the fact my tank thread is littered with other fun/not so fun stuff I dont want to loose it. I really will set the tank up one day

As for me im doing ok like I have been...I will be moving the show to houma tomorrow and will start the work process to get those platforms pumping again to help your gas price I did pick up a Glock 23 ( .40 cal) today with hopes I can go home monday but who knows. The situation in NOLA is bad and there are many ways one can look at it...he did this...they didnt do that...wish we did this. Fact is it sucks the big one and I hope its in the history books soon!

So on to some fish related stuff...I wonder how bad my 110 stinks right about now?? I also wonder how many other tanks suffered the same fate...and what about the LFS??? Does anyone reading this thread know what happened to the shops in NOLA..did they evac the livestock ya think?

Again, please yall keep the politics light if any at all. And if a mod thinks its better to move any of my life updates to the lounge just let me know. This thread has to many twist n turns to get shut down before I get the silly little tank on a stand at least

Take care and it might be a while before I get internet access after this..might have to drive around and jack some wireless from the car

Peace n humptyness to all you freaky fish peeps

Yes I may be delusional
Old 09/02/2005, 11:23 PM
get your reef on

thanks for checking in.

let us know what's happening when you can.

don't worry about the thread it has a life of it's own now.
Old 09/03/2005, 11:27 AM
TRC Leader

Hey, I was just watching CNN, and I swear some looter was filmed carrying a huge glass aquarium with two holes in the back wall. Oh no!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! They took your plasma tv, but couldn't lift the tank.

Just kidding again. I'm hoping your TV and all other possessions are safe, albight dirty from the flood.