Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2006, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

mavgi,

as i was taking pictures of the original air intake i noticed it does narrow down right after the air pipe. take a look at the pics below.

please note that i get the same results with my original air intake, it doesnt matter.

thank you so much for all your help, i dont know how i am going to repay you when this works

Old 12/27/2006, 10:23 PM
Keepin' It Real

sedra 2500 modded tonight with kentrob and it works. 2 sheets fit with a little trimming and shoving.

Get it While It's Hot
Old 12/27/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Wojo

My payment will be if it's work good and you happy , that is all i want and wish for all the member that try it to get a better performance from the skimmer

i want to ask you some question :

did you try it with the regular intake and get the same result ?

what the power of this pump how much GPH?

is the pump far way from the skimmer and how much ?

if so , did you try to connect the pump close to the skimmer body and see if there is different result ?

i still don't like the original air intake , again IMO it's to long and the pump lose air the way it's look like .

i want you to post picture for all the skimmer , what i want to try is : to connect the pump closer to the skimmer body use the original air intake but take out the air pipe and put the vinyl pipe instade of it but again i want it will be flat inside and not crossing the air intake .

if you van to make those test please try it , if you not get better result i think the pump not good enough for the skimmer .
Old 12/28/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

mavgi,

here is the pic of the skimmer setup:

as you can see the air has to travel some in order to get into the chamber. perhaps this is our problem.

anyhow to answer your questions:

1. yes i did try the original air intake and have exact same results.
2. i have no idea what power this pump is, it came with CSS-125. it has no markings on it, nor the manual or box mention anything. perhaps some other CSS-125 owners can tell us?
3. I cant really connect it closer as the skimmer is outside of my sump (see pic)

Please let meknow what u think, should i sell this puppy and go for other skimmer that i can dump in sump or what? if i go that route i would have to mod my sump as i dont have skimmer chamber big enough...

thanks for all your help bro.

Wojo.
Old 12/28/2006, 12:31 AM
Losing my mind

how many sheets of material on a sedra5000

2 or 3
Old 12/28/2006, 12:40 AM
Weed Reefer

I think that the distance between the outlet of the pump and skimmer body is hindering the performance a bit- If you can upgrade, I'd definitely recommend it...

Chelsey- I think we put 2 layers of the other 5000 we modded tonight....
Old 12/28/2006, 12:57 AM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by wojo

[
The key to success, lies in the background shot.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 12/28/2006, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

wojo :

did you try to take out the air pipe from the silencer and test it .

when it was the last time you clean this skimmer ?

do you have any other pump to test on it ?

Chelsey:

i put on my sedra 5000 3 layer.

Last edited by mavgi; 12/28/2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12/28/2006, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

prugs, lol, i just noticed that. that sure produces a lot of mini bubbles.

mavgi, i tried running with and without the silencer with same results. I clean collection cup, pump every week. everything else is not cleaned, should it be? its not dirty

i dont have any other pump, which one should i buy? i was thinking about adding additional pump on the side of the skimmer to just to produce bubbles. like some of the guys did in this thread.
Old 12/28/2006, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
prugs, lol, i just noticed that. that sure produces a lot of mini bubbles.

mavgi, i tried running with and without the silencer with same results. I clean collection cup, pump every week. everything else is not cleaned, should it be? its not dirty

i dont have any other pump, which one should i buy? i was thinking about adding additional pump on the side of the skimmer to just to produce bubbles. like some of the guys did in this thread.

i read about the skimmer in some othe forum , the problem with that pump it's not rating , i think you need to find if someone have sedra 5000 to test on it . (i think the pump for this skimmer need to be about 500gph but not sure )
and if you can take out the skimmer and run it with some acid to clean it good . check also the silencer if there is any flose dirty there it'w will clog the air to .

there is no reason that the skimmer wll not work good just 2 option : air clog , or not good pump .

i read also that it's produce a lot of bubble and you can see in this link mod on this to :

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t=CSS+125+mods
Old 12/28/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Mavgi,

1. I will try to find someone with Sedra
2. What kind of acid or else i can use to clean it?
3. Silencer is clean, the skimmer runs the same with and without it

thanks
Old 12/28/2006, 11:54 AM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

Well i modded my dnw-200 yesterday with the mesh I received from Mavgi (thanks alot). I was able to apply two layers directly to the needlewheel without breaking apart the needlewheel. I just cut out two circles and zip tied to the front of the needlewheels. Used four zip ties to hold. Start up is rough but once it starts it creates alot more bubbles. Also it is very touchy now. I get a real thick foam but it doesn't seem to make it out the tube into the cup.If I raise the water level to get it to come out I loose the thick foam and just get the bubbles exploding right at the very top. Any suggestions????
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 12/28/2006, 11:56 AM
Weed Reefer

Honestly I think that a meshmodded 5000 is going to be too much for that skimmer body. The 5000's are getting Deltec Eheim like numbers with the mesh and they are running single Eheims on a 8" x 24" body! I think you'd be better off with the 3500 meshmodded. I've learned a lot over the last couple of years about mating appropriate levels of air with different sized reaction chambers and I cna tell you that the numbers Deltec has come up with a spot on. Here is a skimmer I built a while back that has similar interior reaction chamber space as the larger CSS. This skimmer was pretty much maxed out at about 550-600 LPH and skimmed like a beast...

Old 12/28/2006, 11:59 AM
Weed Reefer

SB- I would recommend taking off the top layer of the needlewheel assembly. It could be getting too cramped in there resulting in start up problems. As far as the foam head goes, you need to give it a few days to break in. Obviously your water level needs to drop a bit and the consistency of the foam will be thicker therefore rising differently...Don't worry about it not quite breaking the top of the neck- Set it there and let it run for a couple of days before making adjustments....
Old 12/28/2006, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Mavgi,

thanks
Mavgi is suggesting ‘Muriatic Acid’ diluted with water. Many use a dilution of 1 part acid with approx 10 parts water. This acid works very well to clean overflows, pumps, power heads and just about any aquarium equipment. Most use ‘white vinegar’ from the grocery store. Both works excellent … vinegar just takes longer, but is very user friendly because it will not burn you. Vinegar stinks, but won’t harm you. Acid fumes are harmful. Vinegar is like a mild acid. An occasional cleaning will ensure that any pump/equipment is in perfect working order (no clogs or buildups to inhibit performance).

Quote:
Originally posted by kentrob11
Honestly I think that a meshmodded 5000 is going to be too much for that skimmer body. The 5000's are getting Deltec Eheim like numbers with the mesh and they are running single Eheims on a 8" x 24" body! I think you'd be better off with the 3500 meshmodded. I've learned a lot over the last couple of years about mating appropriate levels of air with different sized reaction chambers and I cna tell you that the numbers Deltec has come up with a spot on. Here is a skimmer I built a while back that has similar interior reaction chamber space as the larger CSS. This skimmer was pretty much maxed out at about 550-600 LPH and skimmed like a beast...

Kent, do you think wojo should save a few bucks and get a GenX-1500 or a Genx-2400? Since it sounds like wojo will be modifying the pump anyway … wouldn’t a Sedra be money ‘not well spent’? I’m a cheapskate in a way … I would probably get an appropriate size GenX with the needle wheel (not with the paddle impeller) and mod that. If the mod doesn’t work out … you can always fall back on the needle wheel. I believe the needle wheel impeller gives you more room for mesh in comparison to the paddle impeller anyway. I’d be willing to bet that the GenX would outperform the pump that comes with the SS too.
Old 12/28/2006, 12:28 PM
Weed Reefer

I just realized that he's got the outlet plumbing material to work through so Mavgi may have been right in the first place. It's really hard to tell without having worked with the CSS and the plumbing that comes with it. What I can say with a pretty high level of certainty is that I wouldn't put any more than 500LPH or so into that skimmer. I was getting about 460LPH out of a 1500 meshmodded which is about the same as the Deltec Aquabee running on the 5"x 18" reaction chamber. Whether it would continue to pull that much with the outlet plumbing I don't know but what could be done is mounting a sweep style elbow on the outlet from the pump to the skimmer to reduce back pressure.

As far as the difference between the Gen-X and Sedra, The only real notable difference having worked with both is the Sedras are noticeably quieter. If you need a really quiet pump the Gen-X isn't for you but from a performance standpoint, they are both capable of quite a bit.
Old 12/28/2006, 01:21 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Kent we were talking last night about someone doing a Meshwheel on a Maxijet.. Was it in this thread.. I have scanned through a few pages then decided I should just ask, much faster then scanning 37 pages..

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 12/28/2006, 02:20 PM
Free Thinker

Yep, a few pages back someone modded a maxijet

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 12/28/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Mavgi,

1. I will try to find someone with Sedra
3. Silencer is clean, the skimmer runs the same with and without it

thanks
wojo if you want send me the skimmer i will test it on sedra 5000 .
Old 12/28/2006, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone have enough of the PF4 mesh to modify 3 OR 3700's?

I just can't see buying a whole 3' x 6' sheet when I only need just a bit.

Let me know and I can PAYPAL money.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 12/28/2006, 03:14 PM
Weed Reefer

Good idea Mavgi- That would probably clear things up a bit for others wanting to do the same for their CSS....
Old 12/28/2006, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mavgi
wojo if you want send me the skimmer i will test it on sedra 5000 .
wow, thanks for the offer, i really appreciate it but it would be really expensive test, lol probably $10-15 one way, the skimmer was only $140 with the pump... i am thinking about dumping it and getting something better but i have no room for in sump skimmer, my skimmer chamber is only 5" wide unless u do some sump modifications, which brings me to my second part of this response.

i was actually thinking about modding this one to remove the inner chamber and feed it from the bottom w/ modded sedra or something (something proven), cuz in theory it should work, right? the outtake would still be the same, its drawn from the bottom. the only issue i see i would have to mount the pump on the bottom of the skimmer and run water from sump over the sump wall down to it. at least this way the distance from the air intake to the skimmer chamber will be minimal. has anyone done this to their ccs-125, bet not

do you guys see any drawbacks of actually attempting this kind of mod?

thanks
Old 12/28/2006, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Michael,
Did you take pics of the larger shroud that you fit 5 layers into. Is it the same as the fitting u showed a couple pages back?
Mike
Old 12/28/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smjtkj
Michael,
Did you take pics of the larger shroud that you fit 5 layers into. Is it the same as the fitting u showed a couple pages back?
Mike
yes mike it's was the same and i did it on the gen x6000 the pump pull more then 25LPM but it's was to strong to the skimmer and when it's start to break in it was flood .

what you want to do ?
Old 12/28/2006, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

I am always fooling around with these pumps! I don't know why, I just have fun seeing what it can do. I was thinking of cutting a pump volute down to the main body and mounting a new larger one with 5 or 6 layers to see if I could replace the 160 watt dart. I was thinking of trying it on a oceanrunner or gen x since I have both already. 2 of these pumps if they run well enough would replace the 160 watt dart on my 14 in diameter skimmer.