Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

ok, i got the shim and my results are the same. i am asking you guys for help.

i dont think its the shim thats causing troubles it might either the skimmer is not right for this mod or my venturi mods are wrong. when i try the stock venturi part i get the same results.

plaese help

This is how much bubbles i get with this mod:

This is my pump that came with the skimmer:

This is the impeller from the top, 2 layers of mesh:

Impeller from the front:

My attempts of venturi's

All 2 attempts of venturi's, bigger air tubes
Old 12/26/2006, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

I inserted a 1/4"poly tube and I got different results depending on the position of the tube. I got better results when the cut portion was opposite the flow. So the round portion of the tube was hit by the flow of the skimmer. Also, I had better results with the tube pushed to the wall of the pipe.

Hope this helps.

rich
Old 12/26/2006, 05:31 PM
DIY Junkie

wojo, I gutter guard modded my css125 and after that I had to force feed it with an air pump to get good performance out of it. Try hooking an air pump up to it and see how that works

Jeff
Old 12/26/2006, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

GROSSR - i tried turing the tube and it did not help. as u can see on my pics i tried several sizes and cuts.

JCTewks - i just hooked up small air pump and the pump was chocking on the air. looked like it was fine for two seconds and then the air was being rejected from the venturi out of the pump... so that did not work either what kind of pump did u hookup and are u using stock venturi setup on it?

thanks guys
Old 12/26/2006, 08:55 PM
Nice Tank!!....I hate you

Thanks Micheal for the MESH. Recieved it today and did just did the mod to my sedra 5000 on an ASM G3.

I dont have a flow meter just yet but it seems to be producing more bubbles. I can hear the sucking noise from the tubing and I've never seen bubbles dancing the way they are. Even with my hands in the tank the skimmer was producing skimmate. I will probably have to lower the riser.

Anyway has anyone done any modding of the venturi on the sedra 5000? Will this help?? I have already drilled the hole out a bit but is there anything else.

Also is anyone adding more holes on the needle wheel base. There is only 4 small stock holes on the ASM needle wheel.

thanks everyone.....mesh is the future!!
Old 12/26/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Wondering if anyone has any of the mat for sale? I modded my ASM sedra 5000 with 3m synthetic steel wool but would like to make it more permanent with the Ekomat (spelled wrong). The mod is working good right now. I'd be willing to pay if someone would send me some. PM me if you can help out. Thank you
Old 12/26/2006, 10:42 PM
Keepin' It Real

I don't know if anybody found this yet. It may be cheaper than buying a $50 sheet of enkamat.

In the mail today I got my free samples of enkamat. I got 3x3 squares of 6 different types of erosion control products. I received the following

-Enkamat 7003
-Enkamat 7010
-Enkamat 7020
-Enkamat 7220
-Enkamat 7910
-Enkamat "S"

I'll try and find what company sent me this. I can't remember.

Get it While It's Hot
Old 12/26/2006, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kabal2
one question guys, how often do you have to change the mesh???? TIA

Gabriel
the mesh can keep for long time and it's not clog or get dirty quick.
Old 12/26/2006, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wojo
[B]ok, i got the shim and my results are the same. i am asking you guys for help.

i dont think its the shim thats causing troubles it might either the skimmer is not right for this mod or my venturi mods are wrong. when i try the stock venturi part i get the same results.

plaese help

wojo

where is your original air intake can you post picture of it ?

if i am not wrong you mod 3/4" pvc pipe and your original diameter less then the mod.

you pull more water then air the pump can't handle this , also it's important to : the size between the air pipe to the pump , to close will not work good and cause this problem to .

Last edited by mavgi; 12/27/2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12/27/2006, 02:20 AM
Premium Member

ok... to the guy who modded the maxi-jet. i am working on the same thing. have you tried mounting the zip ties the other way. so the tie lock is in the mesh rather than the bottom. this might cut down on noise.
Old 12/27/2006, 03:38 AM
Registered Member

LawMan,

I am pwj, on RDO. (Just got a bubblemaster). Really and truthfully, I would go with fishing line. Its a just fooling around made 3 in the morning sillyness.

I plan to make another one.

I tried it on a HOB skimmer (BakPack.) and it did not work anybetter than the regular impeller.
Old 12/27/2006, 07:22 AM
Free Thinker

I modded my red sea turbo pump last night with some PF5 and it's kickin butt. I will post up some pics tonight .

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 12/27/2006, 11:07 AM
Ozone Sniffer

Mavgi, et al,
Has anyone tried to cut the mesh into say a donut shape, where the suction flow can get into the actual center of the mesh? Or does the flow get there regardless?
It seems the flow starting out in the center and then working its way outward would grind up the bubbles the finest.

Also Mavgi,
What is the # of the Enkamat you (now we ) have? PF5?
Thanks!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 12/27/2006, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I have one of these skimmers and it kicks butt with a normal (non needlewheel mag3. I can't wait to try this mod on it.

--Rick

Quote:
Originally posted by PatrickJ
Has anyone seen the oooolllllldddd school Oceanic skimmers with the bubble diffuser that looked sorta like a grid of 4 by 4 centimeter egg crate. They had a big grey body and a clear neck.

Seems like they had the idea back in the day, but with a modern pump such as an AquaBee or an Ehim, that could be a decent skimmer.
Old 12/27/2006, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

LA-Lawman

for the maxi jet i believe the fish line wire will be better , it's more work and if you can tight to each paddle one wire i think it will be the best , also try to catch the wire on the lower layer of the mesh like that it will sit more flat on top.

H20ENG

the mesh it's the PF4 , also you can try to do it like a donut shape
but need more work and will pull more air.
Old 12/27/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvanacker
Thanks Micheal for the MESH. Recieved it today and did just did the mod to my sedra 5000 on an ASM G3.

I dont have a flow meter just yet but it seems to be producing more bubbles. I can hear the sucking noise from the tubing and I've never seen bubbles dancing the way they are. Even with my hands in the tank the skimmer was producing skimmate. I will probably have to lower the riser.

Anyway has anyone done any modding of the venturi on the sedra 5000? Will this help?? I have already drilled the hole out a bit but is there anything else.

Also is anyone adding more holes on the needle wheel base. There is only 4 small stock holes on the ASM needle wheel.

thanks everyone.....mesh is the future!!

if you try to add more hole you will reduce the air (test it already)

if you increase the hole it will pull more air (but not a lot) and i suggest to do it flat inside and not crossing as all did , the reason was when i test it flat it's pull more air then it's crossing the intake.

if you can measure the air (what you reading now) i can tell you +/- how much you can pull more .
Old 12/27/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Mavgi- received my mesh yesterday. Thank you so much! I have a 36" tall 8" dia, dual gen-x 4100 recir skimmer. Left one paddle of the gen-x stock impellar, two layers of mesh, 3 small zip-ties.
OMG! The difference is amazing! Had to lower the water level quite a bit with just 1 modded pump! Don't think it could handle both pumps going! Thick shaving cream type foam, twice the quantity with one less pump running. Now that's efficiency! Still kind of loud but a constant whoosh instead of the usual chop, chop sound it used to make. Will get an air meter, but it's at LEAST pulling twice as much air as before, and MUCH less turbulance with just one pump running. Couldn't be happier!
Old 12/27/2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishdave739
Mavgi- received my mesh yesterday. Thank you so much! I have a 36" tall 8" dia, dual gen-x 4100 recir skimmer. Left one paddle of the gen-x stock impellar, two layers of mesh, 3 small zip-ties.
OMG! The difference is amazing! Had to lower the water level quite a bit with just 1 modded pump! Don't think it could handle both pumps going! Thick shaving cream type foam, twice the quantity with one less pump running. Now that's efficiency! Still kind of loud but a constant whoosh instead of the usual chop, chop sound it used to make. Will get an air meter, but it's at LEAST pulling twice as much air as before, and MUCH less turbulance with just one pump running. Couldn't be happier!
just if you can lower more the water (at least more 3-4") level you can try the other pump if not i would not suggest to do it.
Old 12/27/2006, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Mavgi how far could the pump be from the skimmer, could a pipe 11/4 dia pipe 4 foot long work?
Old 12/27/2006, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
Mavgi how far could the pump be from the skimmer, could a pipe 11/4 dia pipe 4 foot long work?
it's depend what pump you have and how it's run now ?

4 foot long reduce the pressure and water volume even on regular pin wheel , if you match the correct pump and it's work good with regular pin wheel then it's wll work better on the mesh wheel.
Old 12/27/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Mavgi the pump is a Iwaki MD55RLT . that i used to run a beckett.
Old 12/27/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
Mavgi the pump is a Iwaki MD55RLT . that i used to run a beckett.
i never test this type of pump i know mike try on dart pump and it's work well but not on a backett . here is the link on his mod with the mesh you can look on it and see what he did :

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12/27/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mavgi
LA-Lawman

H20ENG

the mesh it's the PF4 , also you can try to do it like a donut shape
but need more work and will pull more air.
So cutting out the center of the mesh will pull more air?

I'm thinking this may help with my startup problems on the OR2700 since there will be less material causing resistance...
Old 12/27/2006, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foshizzle
So cutting out the center of the mesh will pull more air?

I'm thinking this may help with my startup problems on the OR2700 since there will be less material causing resistance...
did you see on previews post how my wheel impeller look ?

and can you post picture of your wheel impelller , i wan to see top (front) , side , under of the paddle to.
Old 12/27/2006, 06:48 PM
Dance 4 Life

Hey guys, awesome mod. Has anybody tried it with a Mag 7 pump? TY in advance.