Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

tylt33
sorry to hear that mate
i had a tank bred one that died in the early days,so its not just the wild ones that get stuff wrong with them. hopefully you have better luck in future
Old 10/12/2007, 06:06 AM
Genuine reef addict

kmjoen - nice pictures & nice additions!

tylt33 - stuff happens and sometimes we never know why the critters die. Sorry about losing the fish
Old 10/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

tylt33 - Thats never good! I'm getting nervous, I think I may need to get a cleaner!
Old 10/12/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Week 11 or so update

My latest algae outbreak (diatom) disappeared a quick as it arrived. My CUC has cleaned most of the entire back glass...gotta love those astrea snails.
My lil fire fish got over its shyness and spends most of the time out in the open when the lights are on. My 2 peppermints hang out under ledges in the rock until I drop food in the tank for the fish and they scurry out for a snack...quite comical to watch.
Weekly 10% water changes and daily filter cleaning(white one) are keeping all parameters perfect so far.

If I get lucky, I may win an auction for some zoo frags I'm watching on Ebay.

I'll try to get some updated pics to Max for the site.
Old 10/12/2007, 11:58 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Beautiful critters kmjoen!!!

Sorry about your percula Tylt...

Good luck on the auction Hodge! Let us know if you got it and how shipping goes!

I was happy this morning though...went to check on the tank and one of my 2 (hopefully there are still 2!) green clown gobies was out! Are those EVER an adorable little fish! Wish I could see them more often...lol...
Old 10/12/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Ebay gee i never thought to look there for frags! im on it!

Hey how do ou guys feel about mixing clowns, oscerlaris n true perc?
Old 10/12/2007, 01:36 PM
Genuine reef addict

Ebay has just about everything, even corals & frags! No idea on the clowns - I've heard negative things on it, and I've also seen tanks with more than one species of clown. Maybe if you introduce different species at the same time it would work better? just a guess.

Why would you want ocellaris & true percula though? They look so similar. I think the true percs have a better chance with anemone hosting though?
Old 10/12/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmjoen230
Ebay gee i never thought to look there for frags! im on it!

Hey how do ou guys feel about mixing clowns, oscerlaris n true perc?
Don't try to mix anything with the Maroons. You will have issues.
Even 2 Maroons is quite a big issue.
I have 2 (in my bigger tank) and they are very territorial. Each has now his own anemone at opposite sites of the tank. So far so good as long they stay out of each other space in the tank.

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 10/12/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Hello All.

Any good recommendations for dealing with bubble algae ?

Thanks,
Reg
Old 10/12/2007, 08:16 PM
Genuine reef addict

I've heard that Emerald Crabs may eat the bubble algae, but no guarantee on that. I've had a few bubbles of it in my tank a few times and just pulled them off with my siphon on water changes - mine were really tough skinned and never broke up, and I've only ever had a couple of them. I've heard if you break them they can spread, and I've heard that that's not true. Seems like every opinion has a counter-opinion!
Old 10/12/2007, 08:51 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...stopped at the reef store...and of course didn't come away empty handed...

Got a new scraper!!! This one had better get to my hard to reach spaces because I had to pay old prices for it...with the old exchange rate...

http://www.aquariumguys.com/kentproscraper1.html
Old 10/12/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

cool scraper rue,
i just got back from a trip to my LFS to and came home with a harlequin tusk fish for the big tank, have been looking for one for a while and finally got him....
Old 10/12/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
...stopped at the reef store...and of course didn't come away empty handed...

Got a new scraper!!! This one had better get to my hard to reach spaces because I had to pay old prices for it...with the old exchange rate...

http://www.aquariumguys.com/kentproscraper1.html
LOL I just bought this scraper this week!
Old 10/12/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Josh&Jana - Those Tuskies are really neato! I like orange and blue a lot!

Plus I think the mixed clowns is what I'm workin with! I got them both really young. The true has gotten so much larger in the past few months! The Osc. is looking like he is going to be the male. Honestly, for me this is kinda a big feat, maybe because I'm a n00b!
Old 10/12/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

HAHA all you guys n ur scrapers!
Old 10/12/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Hey on the bubble algae knock it off and dont break it. Hey guys just did a major (well kinda major skimmer mod and so far looks dard good. Below you will see a pic of effluent after only a few minutes notice its thick and dry. I will give it a couple days to test and post pics. I dont want to give it out to quick until I'm sure of its success, "dont want people cutting up skimmers for nothing" but I'm really excited. Reefmack to put pumps down to the bottom I now even have an easy mod to do that and still have the lockline fittings or the other items that are popular.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 10/12/2007, 09:37 PM
Excuse My French...

mbdave:

Very curious about the skimmer mod!!!

Have you done what I explain at the bottom of page 17 on my building thread? Here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=17

Laurent
Old 10/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Rue and Tylt33 - I've had that scraper all along...very good one! I have on for my max and another for all my FW tanks.

mbdave - Looks good...better than any pics of anything with the stock skimmer that I've seen to date. Keep us posted.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

LS no its not (trust me if the mod works as I hope I will spill it all) I'm going to have to pull it tomoroow and do a little more work that I figured I wouldhave to. Again though it has promise also with putting the pumps down really cuts down on the bubbles.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

LS no its not (trust me if the mod works as I hope I will spill it all) I'm going to have to pull it tomoroow and do a little more work that I figured I wouldhave to. Again though it has promise also with putting the pumps down really cuts down on the bubbles.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:50 PM
Excuse My French...

mbdave:

I was thinking cutting my skimmer on Sunday. But... I will wait until you disclose the RSM "mod of the year"...

As Rue said, best RSM skimming performance ever seen on this forum.
Old 10/13/2007, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

A deltec mc500 fits perfectly in the rear compartment
Old 10/13/2007, 04:21 AM
Registered Member

mb dave
lookin good in the early days mate, hopefully it stays the same over the test period. looks like a winner so far though
Old 10/13/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

kmjoen
yeah theyve got some wild colours hey,he seems to like the new tank, ive got a rose BTA and a pair of watanabeis angels on order, hopefully it doesnt take the guys in cairns to long to find them.

had a fairly big day today with the motorcycle GP being held in phillip island this weekend, a couple of my mates rode in the GP run they have every year down to the island, it leaves from the main street in my town, i think they had about 6000 bikes this year, im going for my bike licence next week so by next year ill be on my own bike in the ride with them, should be fun...
so all that sort of stopped me going to my favorite LFS today but ill be in there tommorw morning to see what he has, he got a big order in on friday night, hopefully theres still some cool things left...
Old 10/13/2007, 07:44 AM
Genuine reef addict

On the Kent scraper - I have one and if you get the steel blade for glass it'll take off the coralline also.

Josh - the harlequin tusk fish are awesomely colored fish. I've seen pictures of them on my local reef club forum and they are indeed beautiful. When you get a new camera please get us a few pics of the harlequin and that new big tank. That one may not be a RSM but I'm sure we'd all like to see it! Just remember - you don't have a lot of time to be riding that cycle - you have too many tanks to care for LOL!

mbdave - the skimmer mod looks great! You can't keep us waiting for information much longer, even if you haven't tested it for a few days. If you haven't already taken pics of the mod please do so when you pull it out today.

fish-unit: Thanks for the info. on the Deltec, and welcome to the RSM Club post. I don't think you've been in here before? Pardon me if you have. If you have the RSM let us know how long you've had it and a bit of information on your setup.

Just ordered a few things from Marine Depot. I needed some angled tips for my Joe's Juice, to get at some pesky majano anemones that I can't get at with a straight tip. I noticed that they now have the Hydor Koralia Nano circ. pumps in stock ($30), so I ordered one. If nothing else I'll try to use it in place of the suction cup MJ pump for mixing my saltwater. Then again I may put it in the RSM to get some additional flow to some hard to reach spots.