Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2007, 02:20 PM
"Old Yeller"

My existing bulb is the hamilton 10K, I purchased a hamilton 20K to replace it. Sanjay does not have any data on the Hamilton 20K and I was told the bulb was the same as the Ushio 20K.
Old 01/27/2007, 01:19 AM
El Jefe de WRS

As far as I know, the 10,000K and 20,000K bulbs that hamilton sells are Ushios.
Old 01/27/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

I've got a question for you guys. I've got a new 400w PFO hqi ballast. Been hooked up for about a week now. Running a xm 10k bulb about 10-12 months old. Today I noticed the bulb would get brighter then dimmer, after doing this for about 30 minutes the bulb went out. Let the ballast cool for a while, turned it back on and after 20-30 min. it did the same thing, went out.

Do you think its the ballast or the bulb? I hooked my old ballast back up and the bulb is still working. Although it's a standard Cool Touch ballast. So I quessing it doesn't put out as much power to the bulb....

Any thoughts.....
Old 01/28/2007, 01:40 AM
El Jefe de WRS

XM 10,000Ks are not HQI rated bulbs, and so running one on a HQI ballast will cause it to wear out faster. Its most likely the bulb+ballast. You can either continue to run the bulb on the lesser ballast, or buy a new bulb for the HQI one.
Old 01/29/2007, 02:23 AM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
XM 10,000Ks are not HQI rated bulbs, and so running one on a HQI ballast will cause it to wear out faster. Its most likely the bulb+ballast. You can either continue to run the bulb on the lesser ballast, or buy a new bulb for the HQI one.
Exactly which bulbs are HQI rated?
Old 01/29/2007, 03:21 AM
El Jefe de WRS

250wattDE bulbs, 150wattDE bulbs, some 250wattSE bulbs (very few, read PaulErik's post on the last page), and a few 400wattSE bulbs (Aqualine 10,000K, Ushio/BLV nepturion 10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K -non-cwa models, Aquaconnect 14,000K). No 400wattDE bulbs are HQI rated.
Old 01/29/2007, 03:42 AM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
250wattDE bulbs, 150wattDE bulbs, some 250wattSE bulbs (very few, read PaulErik's post on the last page), and a few 400wattSE bulbs (Aqualine 10,000K, Ushio/BLV nepturion 10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K -non-cwa models, Aquaconnect 14,000K). No 400wattDE bulbs are HQI rated.
Sorry. Didn't realize it was already mentioned. Thanks.
Old 01/29/2007, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

This week, I finished testing the Coralvue Reeflux 12K (175W,250W, and 400W) and the ReefOptics 250W, 10K,14K,20K lamps. I am pretty much through with my back log of lamps other than a couple of 150W DE and a few used lamps.

I was wondering if there are any other commonly used lamps for which I have no data, and data maybe worth having. If so, let me know and I will try to get them for the next batch of testing.

sanjay.
Old 01/29/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

This is precisely what I was refering to. Basicly what would help here is a comparison of outputs from the bulbs in a comparison to time. With this one would also have to run several bulbs from various batches of each type to give some form of dependability to the data.

Now lets look at these numbers. If the XM 10,000K initially has a ppdf of 180, and looses 60% in 9 months it is still at 72 which is higher than 50% of the SE 250 W bulbs. Now if it looses only 10% then were talking 162 which still puts it in the top 5.

Now my thoughts on my new 120 gallon was to go with an HQI ballast with a pair of either XM 10,000K or Ushio 6,500K and to suplement that using T-5's with 2 54W atinics and 2 54 W Blue Plus. But if these MH bulbs are so bad on HQI ballasts then I might be better off just going to the old style ballasts, either bulb should give me enough light to even keep SPS's near the top of the tank.

Dennis

Quote:
Dennis, Sanjay lists all of the bulbs tested on various ballasts regardless of what they are rated for. 250wattDE bulbs are HQI rated, higher pressure bulbs, as well as a few 250wattSE bulbs (well just talk 250s for now to keep it simple). Running a non-HQI rated/probe-start bulb, like that XM 250wattSE, on a HQI ballast will overdrive it, and burn it out much faster. JD's wife told me once that it wasnt uncommon to see SE bulbs on HQI ballasts that lost 60% of their output over a 9-12 month span because of being overdriven. There are many accounts of 250wattDE bulbs on HQI ballasts that have only lost 10% or less of their output after a year.
Old 01/29/2007, 02:17 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
This week, I finished testing the Coralvue Reeflux 12K (175W,250W, and 400W) and the ReefOptics 250W, 10K,14K,20K lamps. I am pretty much through with my back log of lamps other than a couple of 150W DE and a few used lamps.

I was wondering if there are any other commonly used lamps for which I have no data, and data maybe worth having. If so, let me know and I will try to get them for the next batch of testing.

sanjay.
The G-man 14,500K or 'Coral' vs. the 13,000K 'Marine'... was that ever sorted out? If you want, I can send you a 14,500K to test... used for 120 hours.

Otherwise, that new 175watt Iwasaki seems to be making quite a stir...14,000K. Some are claiming that is outperforms a pheonix 14,000K...

And just to check, is the Ushio 14,000K the same as the BLV 14,000K 250wattDE? If so... it says that its PPF is about the same as a pheonix, little less actually... huh? Is that right? Just want to be sure.
Old 01/29/2007, 09:48 PM
Alpha One

Quote:

sanjay.
How about Ushio 14K 400W?

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 01/29/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX
Second that...

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 01/29/2007, 11:01 PM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX
I just asked about a similar bulb and was told the Hamiltons are Ushio
Old 01/29/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The G-man 14,500K or 'Coral' vs. the 13,000K 'Marine'... was that ever sorted out? If you want, I can send you a 14,500K to test... used for 120 hours.

Otherwise, that new 175watt Iwasaki seems to be making quite a stir...14,000K. Some are claiming that is outperforms a pheonix 14,000K...

And just to check, is the Ushio 14,000K the same as the BLV 14,000K 250wattDE? If so... it says that its PPF is about the same as a pheonix, little less actually... huh? Is that right? Just want to be sure.
Gman lamps - done those. Data appeared last year sometime in advanced aquarist. I just have not had time to put it on the web site yet. I also have 3 Gman 400 coral that I am using on my tank right now for some longer term data.

New Iwasaki 15K.... done that one too a while back.

Have not been able to get the 14K Ushios from the Ushio dealers. They promise to send it and it never happens.

sanjay.
Old 01/29/2007, 11:15 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Oooooo, I just remembered two that I would love to see... The new Elos 250wattDE bulbs... they have a UV sheild built in so you dont need one on the fixture. That could be huge. It blocks all the UV-C, but lets alot of the UV-B and all the UV-A through. The spectral graph of the company looks promising as well.

http://www.eloseurope.com/index.php?...mid=76&lang=en

Also, the Fauna-Marin 12,500K Ultra-nova. It looks like a promising bulb, and Im sure FM wouldnt mind sending you one.
Old 01/30/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Hi Sanjay

i can not find the Reeflux results on the website.
Did you post it already ?

best

Marcello
Old 01/30/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

I have been told that a m59 will not light German/Euro bulbs such as Ushio/AB because they don't have an ignitor, but you have test results with those lamps on m59's? I ask because i run a german bulb, Hamilton 10K on my m59 currently and it lights just fine everytime and would like to try a new Ushio 14K?

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 01/30/2007, 09:22 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Are they CWA models? Also, FWIW, the starting voltage specs on 400watt bulbs are much closer than with 250watters. Its entirely possible for a M59 to start a 400wattHQI... just not run it to spec. It might even run for a while, then shut off.
Old 01/30/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are they CWA models?
Yes, what does that mean?

Old 01/30/2007, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcello Salles
Hi Sanjay

i can not find the Reeflux results on the website.
Did you post it already ?

best

Marcello
Marcello,

They are not on the website. They will follow my usual, publish in advanced aquarist, and then a month or so later show up on the website.

I just sent this off to the magazine today.

sanjay.
Old 01/30/2007, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
I have been told that a m59 will not light German/Euro bulbs such as Ushio/AB because they don't have an ignitor, but you have test results with those lamps on m59's? I ask because i run a german bulb, Hamilton 10K on my m59 currently and it lights just fine everytime and would like to try a new Ushio 14K?
The M59 CWA (Constant Wattage Autotransformer) seems to fire the 400W lamps, but they output from the lamps is lower when using some of the European lamps, since its not the right ballast for it. Apparently, they may have the right starting conditions to fire it. I would have to look at the specs on the ballast and lamp to be sure. I do not have all the ANSI and European standards, and lamp design specs. Just a couple of them.

There are more problems firing the 175W USHIO/AB with the M57 ballast.

I just test the lamp with every ballast, wether its the right one or not. just to see what difference it makes.
Old 01/31/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Sanjay, my name is Robert and I am starting a new 130 gal quarter cylinder. Its 30" deep and I was hoping you could help and suggest what lighting to use. What's your favorite right now? I was thinking of either two 250's or 400's but as far as bulbs im lost... I was thinking hamilton 14k with actinics. What might be better? I was gonna go with the Lumenarc minis, but if you think 250's are good I might go with the DE stealth. What would be best. Im sorry for the question im sure your very busy but your the expert and I want to get this right. Thanks for your help.
Old 01/31/2007, 02:53 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Gman lamps - done those. Data appeared last year sometime in advanced aquarist. I just have not had time to put it on the web site yet. I also have 3 Gman 400 coral that I am using on my tank right now for some longer term data.

New Iwasaki 15K.... done that one too a while back.

Have not been able to get the 14K Ushios from the Ushio dealers. They promise to send it and it never happens.

sanjay.
Ive got a couple brand new 250wattDE Ushio 14,000Ks laying around. If you PM me with an addy, I can send them to you. I bought them for future use, but wont need them until April for the new tank. Even at that, I have plenty of other bulbs laying around that could fill in.

Wow... that Iwasaki 175w 15,000K is a monster... too bad its a 175watter (probe).

So the G-man bulbs just need to be added to the site... cool.

Well, how about that ELOS and Aquascience bulb? If I buy them and have them sent to you, do you promise to forward them to me when you are done...lol. Otherwise, I bet ELOS and Fauna-Marin would be pretty positive about sending you samples. That ELOS bulb in particular really has my attention. I dont know of any other DE bulbs with the UV sheild built in like that (wasnt there a Ushio/BLV that was supposed to have that?). The built in sheild might give it a serious advantage.

BTW, did you ever get around to that long term experiment with the 12 month old SE & DE bulbs on e-ballasts vs. HQI? Thats a test I bet many would like to see.
Old 01/31/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

sanjay.
Sanjay, Since the test is done, can you please tell me what is the par value for the 250 watt 12k reeflux on an icecap ballast is? TIA
Old 02/01/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I'll definatly second that idea. I think this would be extremly important do to the number of individuals like me who ould like to run SE 250W bulbs on HQI ballasts to get a little extra PAR out of the bulbs.

Person aly I was thinking of either a Ushio 6,500K or XM 10,000K on an HQI ballast. However do to some of the discussion here I'm now very skeptical. Would I end up replacing my bulbs ever 3 months? or replacing the ballast every three months? How would the spectrum change over time?

I know form my old studies on florescent bulbs that are over driven you can get some drastic spectrum changes with time as some phosphates are burned up faster than others. However florescent tubes and ballasts are much less expensive than Metal Hides.

Dennis

Quote:

BTW, did you ever get around to that long term experiment with the 12 month old SE & DE bulbs on e-ballasts vs. HQI? Thats a test I bet many would like to see.