Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2004, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Typhon
Bartlett's anthias are beautiful!!!

Any particular reason you choose that species of anthias??
I agree, they are a very stunning fish. I chose the Bartletts because they stay small, are very colorful, and are one of the hardier of the anthias.
Old 11/04/2004, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

the fish are awesome !
Old 11/04/2004, 05:26 PM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
It will be in the BB quarantine tank for about a month. Then it will be moved to the clam tank, which has a 1-2" layer of fine sand.
Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't lose it's instinct to bury itself at night - one of the coolest things to watch.
Old 11/04/2004, 06:02 PM
Reef Addict

i second that u need some sand im 100% sure that they dont sleep any other way, i hope they make it i have 2 of them & they are cool to watch how they dive in the sand & dont come up till dawn.
Old 11/05/2004, 12:10 AM
Engineer

You might consider placing a plastic container 1/2 full of sand in with it- I suggest it only because it may stress the fish a little to not be able to bury at night. As you know, part of the quarantine process is to get them to get used to their environment, as well as learn to take food.

I run a 1" sand bed in the bottom of my quarantine tank, and a few rocks. I never medicate it though- If I had to, I would setup a separate tank that was bare-bottom for it. I run my Q tank all the time.

Just a suggestion-

Zeph
Old 11/05/2004, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I'm well aware that coris wrasses prefer to bury into the sand at night. I don't have sand in my QT tank because I want to be able to medicate immediately if I have to. I do have live rock in there to give the fish places to hide and feel comfortable. If I need to medicate, I can have all the live rock out and replaced with a bunch of pvc pieces for hiding withing minutes. A sandbed wouln't be as easy to remove/replace for medicating.

The wrasse slept under one of the rocks last night and appeared to be fine. I am going to go ahead and place an empty tupperware container with a couple inches of sand in the tank for him just to make sure he is happy.
Old 11/05/2004, 11:46 PM
Engineer

Sounds great- Please let us know if that actually works.

On the plus side, when you want the wrasse out, just wait for night and pull out the container.

Zeph
Old 11/06/2004, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

good advice he must be an engineer !! GRIN !
Old 11/07/2004, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

I put the container with sand in it for the wrasse yesterday. The container is about 6" x 6". I watched as the lights came on this morning and sure enough the wrasse came out of the sand. That is a good idea to catch the wrasse when I'm ready to move him. It sure beats having to net him and stress him out.
Old 11/07/2004, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

I added a different monitor to my computer today because my other monitor's brightness settings couldn't be adjusted properly. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. My apologies for posting such bright washed out pictures all along. I had adjusted the pics to look good on the monitor I was using but it made them look like crap on a regular monitor. I went through and updated every single photo on my website. Now you should be seeing the pictures as I have been seeing them all along.
Old 11/07/2004, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

all I have to say is wow I love ur setup
Old 11/07/2004, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

THE photos are really much better !!
Old 11/07/2004, 10:50 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

dang, changing EVERY photo....lots of time but worth it i am sure

how are the frags goin?

pretty cool about the wrasse.

later buddy
Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/07/2004, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone.

Lunch, it was a major PITA!! The frags are doing great. I'm already getting some new vertical growth off a couple of them. All of them have been coloring up well. It looks like the electrical outage last weekend had no effect on the system.
Old 11/07/2004, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Wow great stand!
Old 11/07/2004, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

indguy, Thanks. I really like the stand. It looks cool, which doesn't matter much, but it also takes up so much less room than a wood stand would have. I have so much access room with the steel stand 1X2 legs that would've been restricted with large wood 4x4's.
Old 11/08/2004, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

So are you going to have a small container of sand in your tank for the Wrasse? If memory serves me correctly, you are going BB, right? Are you going to rely on the rock work as a place for it to sleep, even though it took to sand while still in QT?
Old 11/08/2004, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

TRAVIS i build stands here out of 2x2 maple and it is a little bigger than the steel but not by a lot !

I cannot weld !!
Old 11/08/2004, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

wonrib00, the wrasse is going in my clam tank, which has a 1-2" bed of fine sand mixed with small LR rubble.

SOMEthinsFISHY, I'm sure I could have gotten by with 2x2 but I would have gone with 4x4 just for piece of mind.
Old 11/08/2004, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
I agree, they are a very stunning fish. I chose the Bartletts because they stay small, are very colorful, and are one of the hardier of the anthias.
Agree. Everything looks like its coming along fine for you. Keep up the good work.

Question about the bartletts. Is their eating habbits the same (need to be fed several times a day?)
Old 11/08/2004, 11:58 PM
I need a tank!!!

Gujustud, if i may, i dont believe so. Certain species of anthias supposedly dont need to be fed so often. Travis is going to attempt to take care of this anyways tho by feeding with a doser.
Old 11/09/2004, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

It is recommended to feed them 3-4 times a day like all other anthias. However, I read about a lot of people only feeding them twice a day and they are doing fine. It seems as though it is easier to feed Bartlett's only a couple times a day than most of the other anthias.

I haven't gotten the atuomatic feeder set up yet. These guys started eating right away. By the second day they were already associating me with food. I've been feeding them 3-4 times a day so far. I think the reason they recommend feeding anthias more frequently is because their digestive systems aren't made to handle a sudden binge. They are used to eating constantly in the wild so their stomachs are desinged for a constant consistent supply of food. If I put just a little too much food in the tank it doesn't get eaten.
Old 11/09/2004, 02:47 AM
I need a tank!!!

Some sources told me even less. They probably were just trying to sell them though, huh.
Old 11/09/2004, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Hard to say. This is my first experience with anthias so I'm only going by what I've researched. I did read that some people only fed them once a day but I think twice a day should be the bare minimum, considering their natural feeding behaviors in the wild.
Old 11/12/2004, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Travis, I think I may of already asked, but not sure if I got the answer somewhere in this long post (I searched I swear!). Just wondering how you like your overflow system you setup in a sense when the water goes into the sump. I noticed the PVC with slices on it. How does it work for you?