Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I was initially just screwing it with one hand until it stopped, without much force and it didnt leak. Last night I saw water welling up in it and dripping down the ABS neck transition. So I tightened it a little more by hand but it didnt help. I'm going to run on lunch and see what I can find.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

I found a gasket at an autoparts store and threw it on there, no leaks. It was a little bit smaller than the stock orange one, but seems to seal it off.
Darg...when you say "teflon grease" do you mean the white teflon paste used in plumbing or some kind of lubricant with teflon (like chain lube)?
Old 10/16/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

hmm I must say mine started leaking today as well.....I emptied it this morning and I just went in there to take a look and there is a small puddle of water on the floor. Ugh WOOD floor.
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/16/2007, 01:38 PM
Save me Jebus

I dropped my gasket on my ex2 inside the skimmer body and it is too difficult to get it out until my overhaul of equipment comes up. Anyway, I grabbed the gasket of an old BX1 and put it on there. It needed to stretch just a little bit but it worked out way better than the ex2 gasket that came with it. I just barely turn my skimmer cup and it hasnt leaked yet (knock on wood) I have, however, had the fitting on the pump intake leak above the venturi. It stopped after some salt creep plugged it up.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 10/16/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grundig5
I found a gasket at an autoparts store and threw it on there, no leaks. It was a little bit smaller than the stock orange one, but seems to seal it off.
Darg...when you say "teflon grease" do you mean the white teflon paste used in plumbing or some kind of lubricant with teflon (like chain lube)?
No ... teflon grease (or silicone) made for plumbing use, non-toxic, potable water safe. The type I use comes in a small tube and looks like Vaseline, it's not the white stuff in the can. It's called Lube Tube and is USDA approved. It's safe, been using it for years. Have no idea where I got it. It actually contains both Silicone and Teflon. But any type of lubricant that is listed for potable water and you know is safe to use on rubber seals and in the tank. It just makes the gasket slide so instead of gripping and getting stretched it slides when the cup is tightened. I have to re-lube it (just a small bit of the lube) probably every other time I clean the cup. No big deal, takes a few seconds extra.
Old 10/16/2007, 03:29 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Just a suggestion, but maybe installing a drain and overflow device will make it unecessary to remove the cup so often and you won't wear out your gaskets. It sure works well for my skimmer system.
Old 10/16/2007, 03:37 PM
Charleston Reefer

I been using my same gaskets that came with my skimmer since i brought it. And i clean my skimmer almost daily...

KEstep- lol...l did that same thing with my ex2. I ended up using a coat hanger to get it out.
Old 10/16/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Put a drain in mine day 1. I guess I clean the cup twice a week, maybe 3 times.
Old 10/16/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I just recieved a EX-1 from a fellow reefer, and the amount of bubbles is amazing. But I'm a little confused. Right now i have the water level right below the black abs transition piece, and i have to really restrict the amount of air entering the skimmer or it overflows. From what i've read Raising the water level will remedy this, but that makes no sense.
If you have to keep the valve restricting airflow, it seems like it'd be alot more effecient to lower the t on the output, and install a gate valve. Allowing more bubbles to enter the skimmer since the air level would stay at a maximum, but the water level would vary.
Old 10/16/2007, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

it just needs a little while to break in. it overflowed for me when i first got it and after about a day it ran fine
Old 10/16/2007, 10:05 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Theexp
I just recieved a EX-1 from a fellow reefer, and the amount of bubbles is amazing. But I'm a little confused. Right now i have the water level right below the black abs transition piece, and i have to really restrict the amount of air entering the skimmer or it overflows. From what i've read Raising the water level will remedy this, but that makes no sense.
If you have to keep the valve restricting airflow, it seems like it'd be alot more effecient to lower the t on the output, and install a gate valve. Allowing more bubbles to enter the skimmer since the air level would stay at a maximum, but the water level would vary.
You need to lower the water level in the skimmer if you want to add more air.

I would run it for a couple weeks before i started modding it. At least you would know if the mods were helping or not.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

I agree with USC, its probably better to give it a few days to break in and see where it is. But with that said, the only way to be able to experiment with whatever water level you want and the amount of air is to lower the output T and put a gate valve on the output. Or, use an expansion coupler on the output. I did the gate valve before I ever put my EX-2 in service. Drop the T 2 or 3 inches (probably 2" on the EX-1 would be plenty) and put a gate valve in. There is no way it can screw up the skimmer. It just gives you more control of everything. Another suggestion ... go up 1 size on the gate valve fromthe output pipe size. 1" pipe, use a 1 1/4" gate valve and reduce the input ad output with 1 1/4 to 1" reducer busings. That way, there is no restriction smaller than 1" on the output. A 1" gate valve usually has a flow thru that is a little smaller than 1" .
Old 10/17/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

yeah, i'm gonna wait untill i start modding, I'm on day 3 and its taken out maybe a full skimmer cup of tea colored skimmate. So far its been a pretty good skimmer though.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Wow... took me a little while to get caught up on this thread, especially with dphinsx2 avatar. Every time I get on this thread, I have to take a good look at it.

Well I finally took the time today to finish up my DIY mufflers and brackets on my EX-3 and I have to say, it made a huge difference. I made 3 brackets out of black Kidex which looks almost identical to the neck and base material used on these skimmers. I mounted them with some PVC bolts, nuts and washers to make stand offs, and then mounted some DIY mufflers made from sch 80 3/4 caps and tube along with some small lengths of rigid tubing (like refridgerator tubing, just one size larger). The swishing, sucking sound was muffled out completely, even my wife said it sounded quieter in the fish room which is a big plus.

Oh yeah... finally got the tank replumbed, the new sump in and the skimmer in it's rightful place.

Here's a few pics of the mufflers installed:

Mufflers

Up Close

Big D
Old 10/17/2007, 04:29 PM
Got Nog?

Those are some nice mufflers. Are they restricting the air at all?
Old 10/17/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks... if they are restricting the air, I don't see how. There's nothing inside of them, and the tubing on the top is actually larger than the venturi tubes. I'll know in a few days based on the skimmant production.

I originally built some that I had to use cotton in to quiet them down, but I gave up on those a month or so back when I realized they were restricting the air. I don't have any air valves on the skimmer and never have. These mufflers didn't appear to effect the bubble size at all, but time will tell.

Big D
Old 10/17/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

How exactly do the mufflers work? I'm not getting it.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

I ordered a DAS EX-2 from Petorama Monday morning and received it today. The pumps were not attached and it was packed very well with no visible damage. Unfortunately, as others here have commented there was no packing list or instructions with it and I have never hooked a skimmer up before so this should be interesting. Luckily, a couple of guys from our reef club have them running, including CATIII with the cool mufflers, so I expect I'll try to pick their brains on getting it running.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burton14e7
How exactly do the mufflers work? I'm not getting it.

PFM my friend... PFM!

J/K... all I can figure is the larger diameter of the PVC allows the air to flow easier/slower resulting in less noise. All I know is my Kalk Reactor is louder than I thought it was now that I can hear it.

Big D
Old 10/17/2007, 05:13 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud's Reef
I ordered a DAS EX-2 from Petorama Monday morning and received it today. The pumps were not attached and it was packed very well with no visible damage. Unfortunately, as others here have commented there was no packing list or instructions with it and I have never hooked a skimmer up before so this should be interesting. Luckily, a couple of guys from our reef club have them running, including CATIII with the cool mufflers, so I expect I'll try to pick their brains on getting it running.
You can check out deltec instructions, since these are deltec design skimmers it uses the same set up.

http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/APSeries.pdf
Old 10/17/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud's Reef
so I expect I'll try to pick their brains on getting it running.

Bud,
Let me know if you need any help getting it going... they're pretty easy after you get familiar with them.

David
Old 10/17/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! That helps!

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
You can check out deltec instructions, since these are deltec design skimmers it uses the same set up.

http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/APSeries.pdf
Old 10/18/2007, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

I've had a few requests for overall pics of the skimmer installed in the stand, here's a few. I had to rob the kids bathroom step stool to put it on since the output was about an inch too low to reach over my new sump. I plan on putting in an American DJ switch panel next to the RKII, each pump for the skimmer will have it's own switch and it should clear up some of the clutter. I still have to hook up the waste collecor and my FMC:

Shot 1

Shot 2

Big D
Old 10/18/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

so is it always that clean and organized or was that for our benefit If you say it always is I have to skulk away in shame, cuz it certaintly isn't how ours looks lol
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/18/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Yeah if you want to see clutter...try an Ex-1, Ca reactor, 20x20 sump, phosban reactor, DC8, fan, fuge light, CO2 bottle, seio controller, and all accompanying cords tucked under a 24x24 stand. Yours looks very nice...
BTW, the slightly smaller o ring I purchased is still working fine.