Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2006, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Aussiestar

To Reef Central
Old 03/19/2006, 11:18 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Aussiestar - Missed your post but I'm honoured that your first post on RC is in my thread. If you're ever in the neighbourhood, you're welcome to stop in.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 03/19/2006, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Excellent development. As for certain anenomes (presently I forget which species), I have been told that if you place them on a rock substrate, which is completely surrounded by sand, they tend not to migrate to avoid contact with the sand; hence, improving your chances of minimizing migration and subsequent harm to other corals. Other members please feel free to chime in and enlighten.

Dr. A
Old 03/19/2006, 11:23 AM
Fiddles With Reef

I'm a little bit worried that I'm going to wake up to white skeletons. Due to my inexperience I didn't acclimatise teh corals at all. I dipped them in Reef Dip for 10 minutes and then put them in the tank. Am I doomed?

Old 03/19/2006, 11:31 AM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"

WOW!!!

Thats awsome! I am so happy this tank is turning out so well. Its really looking great!.

Sorry I cant give you advece on the corals, i have never played around with sps before- just read about it. Good luck.

But really -------WOW... I am speachless

-alien
Old 03/19/2006, 11:49 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks alien. I just posted in the SPS forum about acclimatising SPS so I guess I'll find out what the general consensus is.

Old 03/19/2006, 11:56 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
I'm a little bit worried that I'm going to wake up to white skeletons. Due to my inexperience I didn't acclimatise teh corals at all. I dipped them in Reef Dip for 10 minutes and then put them in the tank. Am I doomed?
You'll be fine. All I ever did was float the bag to equalize temp, then poped them in the tank.

Your tank is comming along nicely!

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 03/19/2006, 12:33 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks Ken.

Well they've been the tank about 10 hours and they look okay. I just checked them out and a few were even showing some polyp extension so hopefully will be okay.

Old 03/19/2006, 12:45 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Just realised I missed one pic of a coral out the bag:

And if anyone wants to try and ID anything, I'm all ears.

Old 03/19/2006, 01:53 PM
TRC Leader

I can't ID them at this point, although Mystery Acro #5 on Page 30 looks like a A. humilis to me. I get them wrong often enough though, so don't take my word for it. Mystery Acro #1 might be a A. yongei (Green Slimer).

The one you forgot to post looks pretty killer to me. Talk about saving the best for last.

It's official - you've got yourself a reef tank finally.
Old 03/19/2006, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Really nice man, coming along great!

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 03/19/2006, 10:48 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I can't ID them at this point, although Mystery Acro #5 on Page 30 looks like a A. humilis to me. I get them wrong often enough though, so don't take my word for it. Mystery Acro #1 might be a A. yongei (Green Slimer).

The one you forgot to post looks pretty killer to me. Talk about saving the best for last.

It's official - you've got yourself a reef tank finally.
Thanks Melev, and it feels goooood. All corals look great today so out of the woods on the acclimatising I hope. I posted in the SPS forum and I think I got some positive IDs......

(1) A. vermiculata

(2) A. nobilis or yongei

(3) A. tumida

(4) A. horrida

(5) A. valida

(6) A. nana

(7) A. humilis or monticulosa

Old 03/19/2006, 10:52 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by kwl1763
Really nice man, coming along great!
Thanks Keith!

Old 03/19/2006, 11:01 PM
AEFW Survivor

WOW! Those are some nice corals! With the prices that you've quoted and the plans that you have to fill the thing up, your going to be spending alot of Yen!

Things are looking great and you've got some really nice pieces!
Old 03/19/2006, 11:13 PM
Fiddles With Reef

A quick note on the Anthias in QT. The water in the bags was 1.020 so I acclimatised them at 1.0175. I feed a mixture of frozen brine, baby brine and mysid soaked for 15 minutes in Selcon and they went crazy for it. I then fed my usual mixture of flake, Formula 1/2 pellet, Omega One spirulina flake and some over fine and not so fine flaky stuff all soaked in Selcon as usual and they all went for it too. Some of it was spat out but they seem keen to try anything. The PBT also ate well. I was worried abhout teh Anthias as I hear they can be tough to get eating but looks like these guys will be fine.

When they were first released into the quarantine tank the Powder Blue was being a bully. Not too agressive but really showing his sides and fins. The Anthias really school together when this happen and was quite funny seeing them grouped together like that. Hence this pictue I posted yesterday:

But the PBT just had to establish that he was the boss and today they are all swimming around fine. It's going to be quite interesting to see how the other fish react when I introduce them after the hypo is finished. My Yellow Tang is very peaceful but I think that's because he knows he's the current boss.

Anyhow, Will drop to 1.013 today and then down to 1.009 tomorrow. I'm going to be keeping a real close eye on this QT cycle. Last one was such a disaster and these fish I just refuse to lose.

Old 03/19/2006, 11:17 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by SERVO
WOW! Those are some nice corals! With the prices that you've quoted and the plans that you have to fill the thing up, your going to be spending alot of Yen!

Things are looking great and you've got some really nice pieces!
Yea, you're not wrong.

Hmm, $75 a pop, 5 per month - scary......

Old 03/19/2006, 11:35 PM
Midnight thread lurker

Almost enough to make your wallet run for cover.
Old 03/19/2006, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Hey, you only live once. Enjoy yourself.
Old 03/19/2006, 11:51 PM
TRC Leader

Why are you switching the quarantine tank to hypo already? Are the fish sick?
Old 03/20/2006, 12:27 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Spiffman - yea, and when I catch it, it burns my fingers.

enamdjd - yep, as long business continues to go well, what the heck. I'd hate to have to run this tank on a budget!

Marc, I'm slowly starting to hate hypo, especially after my last disaster. The fish look great but all fish I get look great and many develop Ich in QT. So I'd rather not take the risk and if possible, keep the display free of Ich. But like I said, last cycle with 6 fish was a disaster. Lost the CBB right away, the 6-line jumped and the PBT and Longnose Hawk just died. But I believe that is because I let water quality go down the toilet and I didn't look after PH levels. At the end the flame angel had a white face which I believe was due to a prolonged exposure to low PH levels.

This time I'm going to be looking after it better. I'll be siphoning out uneaten food every night, doing water changes every week like clockwork, making sure the Remora is skimming well, running carbon and I've just ordered a UV steriliser too.

BUT! This shop has the most excellent livestock. Corals are stunning and fish look so healthy but I just don't want to risk it. But (again) if this hypo cycle turns out to be a disaster I won't be doing it again.

Old 03/20/2006, 12:42 AM
TRC Leader

Here's the deal: Just run the tank without going to hypo, to see if they even have a disease. If they do break out, then you start hypo.

Since you typically don't have a good bacterial colony growing in a q-tank and especially a hospital tank, water changes have to be done more than weekly. Maintaining good water quality is key. As you probably know, I've been treating a couple of seahorses for the past 5 weeks, and it is a lot of work. Feeding, siphoning out waste, verifying water quality, boosting pH as necessary - definitely daily tasks.

I do hope your livestock will do well. Anthias need to be fed 3x a day, so be careful not to pollute the q-tank too badly.
Old 03/20/2006, 12:54 AM
Fiddles With Reef

As I'm almost at hypo now I think I'll just continue. On my last (disaster) batch I waited 2 weeks before dropping to hypo and it took that long for the Ich to show on the Flame Angel. In the end they were only at hypo for 4-5 weeks but I think 4 weeks might actually be enough.

I have two sponges in there that have been soaking in my sump for a month or more. I'm hoping this will be enough bacteria to keep the denitrification under control. I might even throw a couple of chunks of LR in there. I've put LR through hypo before and you just need to catch it after two weeks when the stuff dies off, scrub it off and put it back - stinks but works.

Didn't realize they had to be fed that often. Better go feed them now!

Old 03/20/2006, 01:51 AM
TRC Leader

Don't hypo live rock. Just do more water changes, it is your safest and cheapest solution to maintaining good water quality. If your q-tank is 10 or 20g, just have 50g of saltwater mixed up to make those water changes a breeze. I've been keeping a barrel of saltwater ready every week to deal with all the 5g water changes (50% at a time).
Old 03/20/2006, 03:58 AM
Fiddles With Reef

The tank is my old 50g. I have a 50g holding tank that is always full of RODI so making up saltwater is fast. Wish I had enough space for another 50g holding tank solely for SW though.

Old 03/20/2006, 05:06 AM
Fiddles With Reef

zemuron114, if you're reading this I tried to respond to your PM but it says your inbox is full.