Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2006, 07:36 AM
Moved On

Radium is a 20k.

I ran the RF Electronic ballast with the Reeflux 10k's and it was just a little pink. I would have to have 4 or 6 VHO atinics in order to get anything 'glow'. I have 2 VHO atinics and you couldn't notice a difference at all.

I finally decided to get rid of the setup and go back to an HQI ballast with Radiums.
Old 05/16/2006, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

I have been running the 400W 10K reeflux with HQI ballast. The par is good. I don't like the pink hue too much. Ran 2 of them with a xm 20k to flash out the pink a little. Seems better with that combo. One of the 2 bulbs failed to fire after less than a month of use. Told by the seller that b/c the bulb is overdriven by the HQI ballast, it is not covered by the warranty even though I had it for less than a month. I was also told that if you are running the HQI ballast, non of the SE bulb will be covered under the warranty. Don't know if that's true or not. But I will definitely not buy them again for sure. Now using the coralvue 20K which seem to look pretty good so far with betetr color.
Old 05/16/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

so just lie about the ballast....
Old 05/16/2006, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

i had an xm bulb that would not start off of a 400 watt blue line electronic ballast.

anyone out there stilluse the aqualine bushke 10k?
Old 05/16/2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I am running 4 250 10k's on electric ballast and love them great color from them
Old 05/16/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicago
i had an xm bulb that would not start off of a 400 watt blue line electronic ballast.

No problem with mine with the same bulb and ballast.
Old 05/16/2006, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

bad bulb... how do you like the color. seems to have lots of blue
Old 05/17/2006, 08:55 AM
Just reefin' it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicago

I do. Great lamp; especially when run on a PFO HQI ballast. Good par and great growth too.
Old 05/21/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

bulb looks really good saw it at lfs on there show tank
Old 05/21/2006, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

I ordered two of these bulbs a few weeks ago. I stuck one in my PFO pendant to test it on my new tank. I didn't run the bulb long that long, maybe and hour. I opened the pendant up to take the bulb out, and there was a small crack in the ceramic on the end of the bulb! I tried to take the bulb out, and the entire end of the bulb broke off. Great. I was very easy with the bulb, like I always am with DE halides. I've NEVER in any of my pendants had a bulb crack like this, either putting them in or taking them out. The bulb did NOT looked cracked after I put it in the pendant.
Old 05/22/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Hey, same thing happened to me. I thought I was just being my usual brutish self, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 05/22/2006, 01:19 AM
Premium Member

I contacted Coralvue about it. They, in not so many words, basically said I handled the bulb roughly. They did offer for me to send the bulb back and they would microscope it to see if the glass had bubbles in it. Also they are willing to sell me another at wholesale price, but they won't replace this one for free.
Old 05/22/2006, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

sounds like the old coralvue company.. coralvue are you listening?

i was going to give those bulbs a try but now i think i will continue not to support their products
Old 05/22/2006, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by want2reef
Just got my 10K bulb. Bad part is, it came with broken glass on the inside of it.

I'm contacting the seller now.

Quote:
Originally posted by TA
Exact same bulb...exact same pieces of broken glass...exact location (about 1/4" from the end of the glass rod).

Positioned all broken pieces at the end of the bulb. Been running a couple months now with no trouble.

If you fire it up and something bad happens though, don't blame me.
Earlier posts from this thread.

In my case, this was not due to mishandling....seems to be more likely a manufacturing defect. So it doesn't surprise me to read that you had some trouble with your bulb. Mines been running fine up till now, but I am a little reluctant to order another after following this thread.

Good luck
Old 05/22/2006, 12:19 PM
Nothing to put here

Wow, this thread has really turned around. I wish I had waited 2 more months before ordering my bulbs.

My tank has been running on 13 month old XMs for a month now, because neither of my 1 month old reefluxes will fire. Sweet.
Old 05/22/2006, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Exact same bulb...exact same pieces of broken glass...exact location (about 1/4" from the end of the glass rod).
Does this problem seem to be occuring just in the DE bulbs or the SE bulbs as well?
Old 05/22/2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

coralvue are you listening?
Old 05/22/2006, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

I've bought bulbs from CoralVue for me and some of my friends and I have only good things to say about their services.

I live in Iceland so we group ordered 2 years ago and again last month so its about 25 bulbs in all , SE and DE. Two bulbs broke during shipment and CoralVue replaced them quickly and without any problems.
Old 05/22/2006, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Just trying to understand what look would I achieve

Hey guys I have been reading through this thread and I am glad that you all have put your personal experience out there for us to read. At this current moment I have 3 400 watt Hamilton 14ks on magnetic ballast on my tank. I also have 2 antic VHO's. The look of my tank is more of an ice white with a hue a blue. Looks good to me. Always room for improvement. If I decided to go with the Reeflux 12ks what exactly would my tank look like? I don't want a pink look. I do like the blue look but I want my many colors to show up. Can you guys finalize this decision for me? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05/23/2006, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

David @ Coralvue told me that Reeflux bulbs are not meant for Magnetic ballast. I just ordered mine from CA and when I went to fire it on my 400w PFO Mag Ballast nothing. So I figured it was DOA. He e-mailed me back and told me the bulb is not for mag ballasts. Funny, I've never read that ANYWHERE! Not on Coralvue's website, or any others. So im pretty much screwed, unless I can get a new ballast. Pretty sad because I've had good experiences, but all it takes is one.
Old 05/23/2006, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BumpinTJ24
David @ Coralvue told me that Reeflux bulbs are not meant for Magnetic ballast. I just ordered mine from CA and when I went to fire it on my 400w PFO Mag Ballast nothing. So I figured it was DOA. He e-mailed me back and told me the bulb is not for mag ballasts. Funny, I've never read that ANYWHERE! Not on Coralvue's website, or any others. So im pretty much screwed, unless I can get a new ballast. Pretty sad because I've had good experiences, but all it takes is one.
So their bulbs can only be run by a electronic ballast? How can that be? If so, they should specify it on their product. I am using PFO HQI ballasts and one of my 400W reeflux SE only last for like 3 weeks and then it wouldn't start. Asked the seller for a replacement but i was told that if I use HQI ballasts, they will not be covered under the warranty. Well, the other bulb is working fine. So it could be a problem with that particular bulb. But I am out of luck. If I knew ahead of time, I wouldn't buy it. Not too crazy about the pink hue either. Using 20K now and eerything looks good.
Old 05/23/2006, 08:58 AM
forever newbie

First I heard they couldn't be run on mag. ballasts. That's what I am using and I love the color.
Old 05/23/2006, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Guys thanks for the reply. Damn...o well!!
Old 05/23/2006, 09:55 AM
Obsessed reefer

Hmm.... not meant for Mag ballasts? I have the Reefux 10 K's ( in the 175 watt version ) run on a standard M57 maganetic ballast ad have been using them since December '05. They have fired every time and I have not had an issue with them. I used to use 14 k Hamiltons and switched to the Reeflux. I have nothing but good things to say about the Reeflux bulb.
Old 05/23/2006, 10:02 AM
Just reefin' it...

I've run Reeflux lamps on HQI ballasts for months now and never had a problem. They've fired every time. A friend ran Reeflux lamps on standard magnetic ballasts for a while too without any problems. One of the LFS's in my area runs Reeflux 12k lamps on standard magnetic ballasts and has never had a problem either.

Strange....